G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Halogen bulb that will somewhat match 6000k or white/blue light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Halogen bulb that will somewhat match 6000k or white/blue light?

Looking for a Halogen bulb that will somewhat match 6000k or white/blue light?

I need something for H1 socket, I have ruled out HID kit for the time being.

I have tried the Putco Nitro Blue 6000k Bulb and it was disappointingly yellow. The ray on the wall might me a bit whiter than the stock halogen, but not by much. the housing itself looks really yellow.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
I assume that this is for your fog spot. For all that is holy, do not put a HID kit in there. You'll cause so much glare that you'll be a danger to others.

To answer your other question. All of these halogen bulbs that claim their "Xenon gas filled" or "6000k" Are all full of BS. You CANNOT have a Halogen bulb replicate a HID bulb. You won't find a halogen bulb that can replicate a 6000k HID bulb. The most they do is put a blue coating around the bulb to make it appear bluer.. never works.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Originally Posted by aa2033
I assume that this is for your fog spot. For all that is holy, do not put a HID kit in there. You'll cause so much glare that you'll be a danger to others.

To answer your other question. All of these halogen bulbs that claim their "Xenon gas filled" or "6000k" Are all full of BS. You CANNOT have a Halogen bulb replicate a HID bulb. You won't find a halogen bulb that can replicate a 6000k HID bulb. The most they do is put a blue coating around the bulb to make it appear bluer.. never works.
This is actually for high beams. I just want a bulb that will even come close to white light, i just don't like the yellow at all. Was considering getting one of those led bulbs.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by crazynuts16
This is actually for high beams. I just want a bulb that will even come close to white light, i just don't like the yellow at all. Was considering getting one of those led bulbs.
Eh? Do you have the 06-07 projector lights? Or the 03-05 D2R Reflector lights?

If you have the 06-07 Projector lights, the lower spot is ONLY a fog light area. The high beams come from the bixenon D2S Projector in the top spot. The lower area uses a H1 bulb.

If you have the 03-05 reflector lights, the lower spot doubles as a fog light / high beam. This uses a 9003 / H4 bulb.

So.. If you're saying that you want a H1 bulb, it's not for your high beams, its only for the fog light.

I'll cover both just for the sake of answering both.

If you need a H1 bulb for the fog light area, you CAN go LED if you want, but they don't put out enough useable light, and will render them useless. Granted, I never really use my fog lights, so thats up to you. You will not find a Halogen bulb that replicates a white light, like i stated above. Putting a HID kit in the H1 spot is a bad idea, the reflector is made to house a halogen bulb, so the optics and beam patterns are designed around a halogen bulb. If you put a HID bulb that is much brighter, longer in length, and intense, you get a beam pattern that is scattered all over the place, and which causes extremely intense glare.

If you need the 9003 / H4 bulb, then you CANNOT go with LED. A LED bulb cannot act as a high beam. The way the H4 bulb works is that it has two filaments. One for the Fog light function, and one for the high beam function. When you activate the high beams, the second filament activates and gives you a brighter light. With a LED... This doesn't happen, there's no filaments at all. You have no choice but to go with halogen. Putting a HID kit in this spot is bad for the same reason as the H1 bulb, but even more-so. If you don't use your fog lights, and you need your high beams, by turning on a HID bulb you have to wait 45- 60 seconds for the bulb to fully warm up. Now, 45-60 seconds may not seem like a lot, but usually when you use your high beams, you need the light then and there. So yes, this is a issue. If you leave your fog light on, then your HID bulb is already on. But the way most H4 HID bulbs work is that they have a mechanism to just "Raise" the bulb and peel back a small shield to reveal more of the bulb (revealing more light) and pushing it up. This usually has the effect of a terrible beam pattern / VERY little useable light.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I just saw in your sig you have the crappy V2 aftermarket headlights.

Let me continue my rant:

Those headlights are garbage. The projectors are extremely low quality, the output is terrible, the beam pattern sucks. They're not made for quality. They also look fugly as hell. And if I'm not mistaken, they are around 400$? For 100 more you could of had OEM 06-07 projector headlights which out perform them by 100x.

Last edited by aa2033; 03-09-2012 at 04:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
crazynuts16 (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Thanks for explaining it.
It is actually for aftermarket headlights which use h1 as high beams. I guess I'll just leave them be, I have heard stuff about the silverstars being a bit whiter than stock though. What do you think about that? The stock yellow just bothers me a lot. Its the only yellow light I have in front. Everything else perfectly matches my 6000k lows.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Thanks for explaining it.
It is actually for aftermarket headlights which use h1 as high beams. I guess I'll just leave them be, I have heard stuff about the silverstars being a bit whiter than stock though. What do you think about that? The stock yellow just bothers me a lot. Its the only yellow light I have in front. Everything else perfectly matches my 6000k lows.
Yeah, the silverstars are a tiny bit whiter, but not white enough for what you're wanting. You don't really have many options to be honest. You can go with LEDs, but you'll lose your high beams and you'd have to swap em out before inspection. On the V2 lights, does the H1 bulb act as the fog light also? Or did you lose the fog light function with those lights? I'd say just don't run the fogs if you have them. And since it's not THAT often that you use your high beams.. then it's not that often you see the yellow light. But the yellow light gives you good visibility with the high beams when you need it. So maybe the only option is to suck it up :P

Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 AM
On the v2 lights, the h1 is placed in such a way that no matter what you do it will be a high beam. the fog light switch just makes the halo's brighter. At one point I blew a fuse controlling my parking lights and the fog light switch was able to control the halo's and leds completely. So I am thinking that the fog circuit is now hooked up to the led's.

And from my rudimentary understanding of lights, even if the fog switch was controlling the h1 bulb it would still provide the same amount of brightness so I would actually be able to use it as fogs and would use it as high beams. I think I prefer to have my high beams rather than fogs anyways. Socal is not that lit up that i never use my brights. Do you know if the high/low function of the 06 projector is specific to the projector or the ballast? Sorry if the question sounds stupid but I am not very knowledgeable about lights.

Oh and is there a good forum where I would learn more about lights in general?

haha yeah I think i might have to just suck it up. just wanted to exhaust all my options once and for all.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 AM
On the v2 lights, the h1 is placed in such a way that no matter what you do it will be a high beam. the fog light switch just makes the halo's brighter. At one point I blew a fuse controlling my parking lights and the fog light switch was able to control the halo's and leds completely. So I am thinking that the fog circuit is now hooked up to the led's.

And from my rudimentary understanding of lights, even if the fog switch was controlling the h1 bulb it would still provide the same amount of brightness so I would actually be able to use it as fogs and would use it as high beams. I think I prefer to have my high beams rather than fogs anyways. Socal is not that lit up that i never use my brights. Do you know if the high/low function of the 06 projector is specific to the projector or the ballast? Sorry if the question sounds stupid but I am not very knowledgeable about lights.

Oh and is there a good forum where I would learn more about lights in general?

haha yeah I think i might have to just suck it up. just wanted to exhaust all my options once and for all.
good to see a person willing to learn.

www.hidplanet.com

all the info you need is there.

The high/low of the 06 projectors is controlled by the projector. All the ballasts do is power on the light. The way a Bixenon projector works is that it has a solenoid and a shield. When you activate your high beams, the solenoid activates, lowering the shield, exposing the entire HID bulb (except they design it this way, so the optics are correct) giving you your high beam. Nothing gets brighter, just more light is exposed. The bixenon high beam is milestones better than a halogen high beam.

Really, I would have to see one of these lights in person, and how they're set up. If I'm not mistaken, to use a single bulb as a multi purpose light (i.e fog light / high beam) it needs to have two filaments, like the H4. So they seem to have manufactured these lights to use the H1 as a high beam ONLY, and the fog light switch to control the LEDs, like you've told me. which is pretty silly IMO. But it makes sense. Just more crappy designs from these things haha.

I don't know what kind of bulb the V2 uses in its projector, but I assume a D2S, and they had you swap your ballasts from your 03 lights? The 06-07 projector lights work the same way. Just swap the ballasts. OEM ballasts can warm up in 15 seconds or less. It's only aftermarket ones that take the 45-60 seconds that I mentioned before.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 AM
I will look into the website and maybe pick up some 06 lights for a retrofit project. Or practice on my old 03 lights.

I am still trying to figure out how to adjust these v2 lights, there is a dial that i use a screwdriver to turn but it doesn't do anything no matter which way i turn it. It uses a D2S bulb but everyone I spoke to told me to just run my d2r bulbs because it wouldn't make that much of a difference so I don't need to spend extra to buy the d2s.

45-60 secs seems like a long time for lights to warm up. Yeah I feel like that since they put the halo's and all those leds in there that they didn't exactly have that much safe current to pull from the parking circuit so they had to tap into the fog circuit. Just a guess though.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 AM
I will look into the website and maybe pick up some 06 lights for a retrofit project. Or practice on my old 03 lights.

I am still trying to figure out how to adjust these v2 lights, there is a dial that i use a screwdriver to turn but it doesn't do anything no matter which way i turn it. It uses a D2S bulb but everyone I spoke to told me to just run my d2r bulbs because it wouldn't make that much of a difference so I don't need to spend extra to buy the d2s.

45-60 secs seems like a long time for lights to warm up. Yeah I feel like that since they put the halo's and all those leds in there that they didn't exactly have that much safe current to pull from the parking circuit so they had to tap into the fog circuit. Just a guess though.
Yeah that is usually how you adjust them. They just don't seem to work. Mine work fine on my 06-07 lights.

That's incorrect also unfortunately, D2S and D2R bulbs are made differently, and again, have different optics. A D2S bulb is made for a projector, a D2R bulb is made for a reflector. Both have completely different methods of throwing out light. I'd be interested to see a picture of the output of your lights on a wall. Your bulbs probably aren't seated right either. If you buy 06-07 lights, they come with OEM philips 85122+ bulbs, which are D2S.

That's why whenever I do a retrofit for a customer, I always recommend going OEM everything. They may cost more at the time, but save you money and headaches later on. I only use OEM for my personal projects also.