G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

save your money

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
save your money

Hey just wanted to let all the 6mt drivers know not to get the short throw shifter.I got one as an xmas gift, put it in and it really is not worth the money.I am thinking about taking it out and putting it on ebay.Hope this helps anybody debating on wether to get one or not.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How come you don't like it so much?

Old 01-05-2005, 03:04 PM
which short throw shifter did you get?
i heard good reviews about B&M and rogue, but havent heard anything on nismo.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by artery04
Hey just wanted to let all the 6mt drivers know not to get the short throw shifter.I got one as an xmas gift, put it in and it really is not worth the money.I am thinking about taking it out and putting it on ebay.Hope this helps anybody debating on wether to get one or not.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but my B&M short shifter is a night and day difference over stock! Minus the rattles associated with this shifter(I have managed to insulate most all of it), this shifter is awesome! I have not had a mis-shift since installing it and had many mis-shifts with the stock shifter for some reason......I thought it was me at first, but now I know it was not! Shifts are MUCH more precise, positive and quicker, I get into my buddies Z and the shift throw feels like a semi compared to the shortness of the B&M! Just my .02!

Old 01-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Where can I get a B&M short shifter and for how much? How easy/hard is the install?

Old 01-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
Where can I get a B&M short shifter and for how much? How easy/hard is the install?
I got mine on ebay, try there? If you have decent mechanical skills, it is not difficult to install at all, took me an hour the first time, next time, under a half hour! Do keep in mind that the shifter does rattle under hard acceleration, I wend back in and did some home grown insulating and it helped enourmously!

Old 01-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by roadracer516
I got mine on ebay, try there? If you have decent mechanical skills, it is not difficult to install at all, took me an hour the first time, next time, under a half hour! Do keep in mind that the shifter does rattle under hard acceleration, I wend back in and did some home grown insulating and it helped enourmously!
So all the short shifters are going to rattle? How did you go about stopping the rattle?

Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
artery, which brand did you get? you didn't mention. That could have a world of difference in quality and engineering.

A short shifter will require more effort (shorter leverage arm) but the movement will be slightly less between gears. I think the stock one is short enough, but it does vibrate like hell.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would you need a shortershifter than the stock one?

Old 01-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
So all the short shifters are going to rattle? How did you go about stopping the rattle?
I do not have experience with the other brands, so I personally cannot say? The B&M shifter is VERY well made using a billet aluminum base and true ball bearing socket, which equals ZERO slop. once you see the B&M shifter side by side to the stock one, you will see that the stock one is really shabby! Because the stock base is either UHMW or Delrin (hard plastic), it soaks up a lot of the vibration caused by transmission. The socket the shifter sits in on the G is aluminum, so being that the B&M is billet, it does not soak up vibration like the stock one does. Keep in mind that the shifter base sort of floats inside the socket of the car, so that is why it rattles, it is not press fit in, so the shifter rattles inside the socket!

It is sort of hard to explain how I reduced the vibration without you knowing how the whole thing works? I did call B&M technical support and am disappointed to report that I had more knowledge than the guy I talked to and he basically said I would have to do it myself, the vibration is normal with this type of shifter!

I bought some real dense rubber sheets, cut to length and width and wrapped the base of the shifter to help stop the vibration as it goes up the shifter rod. I also insulated the outer portion of the gearbox that is otherwise open space (you can see right down to the road from inside the car) with a layer of the rubber cut to size and the used polyester fill to further insulate upon putting it all back together. Lastly, I cust a small sliver of the rubber sheet and placed it vertically into the knotch that the stock shifter utilizes to center the shifter, this helps the base from vibrating this side of the socket.

You may think this is really complicated, but all in all, it took me about 45 minutes or so to do it. After driving with this shifter, it was WELL worth the extra effort, the shifting is THAT much better than stock! I would say that my efforts cut down the vibration by 65-75%!

Old 01-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
Why would you need a shortershifter than the stock one?
Drive one with a short shifter and you will see what I mean! MUCH more positive, has sort of a shift gate feel, and ZERO slop!

Old 01-06-2005, 01:38 PM
short throw shifter

My shifter was purchased off of ebay the directitions say B&M .I looked into the shifters befor xmas and contacted someone selling a JSPEED shifter.That is the brand name.To me all of the short throw shifters look to be identical.They are all machined out of billet with the same fittings you are just going to pay more for the B&M name.The reason that I am not impressed is the shifter feels notchy and rattles under exceleration.The stock unit did not feel this way nor did it rattle.Just to let you know the short throw is one third less throw that really isnt noticeable.So if you have to get one its your money,but I think it's a waist.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks.

hummm... not sure, but my stock 04's gates definitely has positive feel
and very minimal slop.

Originally Posted by roadracer516
Drive one with a short shifter and you will see what I mean! MUCH more positive, has sort of a shift gate feel, and ZERO slop!

Old 01-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by artery04
My shifter was purchased off of ebay the directitions say B&M .I looked into the shifters befor xmas and contacted someone selling a JSPEED shifter.That is the brand name.To me all of the short throw shifters look to be identical.They are all machined out of billet with the same fittings you are just going to pay more for the B&M name.The reason that I am not impressed is the shifter feels notchy and rattles under exceleration.The stock unit did not feel this way nor did it rattle.Just to let you know the short throw is one third less throw that really isnt noticeable.So if you have to get one its your money,but I think it's a waist.
That notchiness does go away as it breaks in, I know exactly what you are talking about! How long have you driven with the short shifter? The rattle is pretty annoying as well, that is why I did the insulating myself. Everyone is different in what they like and don't like, that is why we live in America! I happen to beg to differ with you and love the shifter!

Old 01-06-2005, 03:02 PM
The shifter has only been in since Tuesday with less than 10miles.It is just not what I had expected,maybe my expectations are to high.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: save your money