G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Sprint Booster Kit good or bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Surfindave07.....There is one hugh flaw in your observations/opinions. You have absouletly no experience running a SprintBooster. As far as your Automotive Engineers/technicians unless they have installed a SprintBooster and driven a G35 5AT or have disassembled a SprintBooster their opinions are nothing more than speculation. As a person who has had one installed for years and driven thousands of miles. First with the always on version and the past couple of years with the three setting model which can be turned off allowing the car to be driven in stock mode. It works...it does exactely what SprintBooster advertises. It does not increase the voltage sent from the throttle to the ECM. It improves acceleration by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal provided by the ETC’s potentiometer, and provides the ECM with an altered signal elleviating the lag between when you push the gas peddle and the throttle control module responds. Now as to just pushing the pedel faster/harder unfortunately the human body does not react as quickly as an electronic signal. Since the shifting of the transmission is controlled by the throttle response...shifting is faster/crisper especially in manual mode. Although SB does not increase horsepower with no throttle lag and crisper shifting it increases acceleration (yes, but we are talking only tenths of a second) yet owners will spend $$$ on CAIs and it has been proven in testing that when used without other modifications provides almost no gain over OEM.

Is SprintBooster the best option for crisper AT shifting...NO! The best option is a Transgo valve body kit but with installation it runs about $800. It is also permanent unless you remove the valve body and build it back to stock. If you were to sell a SprintBooster equiped car and wanted to put it back to stock it takes 10 min to remove it and reset the throttle position sensor.

I know this post is long but I am tired of negative reviews without testing for yourself. That's all I'm asking...buy one...test it...review it and if you do not feel it's worth the money simply return it. No, I do not have and have never had any affiliation with SB. As you can see by my sig I also own a Mercedes Benz E Coupe and SprintBooster is used extensively on the E series sedans/coupes both the V6 and the V8/v8 twinturbo. MB uses a seven speed auto on the E's.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
maybe i missed it, but does anyone have any experience with the sprint booster on a 6MT? i definitely notice the electronic throttle lag compared to my other car with a physical throttle cable..

Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
All the Sprint Booster does is change how the throttle body opens according to how much you step on the gas pedal. For instance, you can have the throttle open at WOT when you are barely stepping on the gas pedal if that is what you want, or you can have the throttle body open more gradually but faster and have WOT by the time you are stepping on the gas pedal half-way. Overall, this decreases response time, which will make your car feel faster.

Osiris does this but it is a reflash that costs significantly more, and there are other options available as well, some might be cheaper.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amen brother! I would also state the obvious fact that the distributor NEVER claims that it improves throttle response TIME aka LAG but that would be somewhat like beating a dead horse.

To sum up what this thing does by quoting DIRECTLY from the manufacturer/distributor website:

" Sprint Booster modifies the signal between the accelerator pedal module and the electronic throttle body. This modified signal forces the throttle body to open 'more' than the stock signal at a given pedal position. In effect, the idle-to-full-throttle pedal travel is reduced. This makes your car 'feel' more powerful because a given pedal input produces greater throttle opening."

BTW analogue potentiometers vary the voltage aka amplitude from a fixed DC reference source, they do not in any way provide or modify a digital signal!

Now is this thing as useless as the GFORCE thing that hooks up to your IAT sensor? No, but frankly if you believe the b/s their website(GFORCE) claims that thing does I have a few Moon rocks I found in my back yard on sale!

If this thing were $50 bucks, yeah I can see that being worth the decreased pedal effort in order to attain a "quicker" throttle response; at $300 um lets see, hell no!! But each man has his own opinions on what is and what is not overpriced so let your wallet be the judge!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Sprint booster is a sore subject (obviously). It wont make your car noticeably faster, and its not going to give you big gains in shift times. It will however increase throttle response.it will reduce the lag between the throttle body and when you put your foot in it. (not to be confused with faster revs ie: lightweight flywheel). Its proven to work, Ive seen it work on my previous car and in other peoples cars. is it worth $300? maybe. I bought mine used for $100 so yea sure why not. but If i had exhausted all other bolt-on options on my car and wanted to get "just a little more driveability" out of it, then i might be temped to shell out $300 bucks for it. as earlier mentioned its cool for a couple days and then you get used to it. true. but it still works and the car is still just a little bit more responsive. to each his own. OP if you really want one then buy it. try and find a used one first. if you think the money could be allocated towards something else that will give you more "bang for your buck", then wait.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Amen brother!

" Sprint Booster modifies the signal between the accelerator pedal module and the electronic throttle body. This modified signal forces the throttle body to open 'more' than the stock signal at a given pedal position. In effect, the idle-to-full-throttle pedal travel is reduced. This makes your car 'feel' more powerful because a given pedal input produces greater throttle opening."

That is exactely what I said. It reduces the inherent throttle lag caused by slow throttle response.

Surfindave007 It's a shame that you will never experience driving an AT equipped with one. SprintBooster has sold thousands of units and I don't think I've ever read any critisicm from someone who has tried one. .

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 04-24-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by livinglegend
Sprint booster is a sore subject (obviously). It wont make your car noticeably faster, and its not going to give you big gains in shift times. It will however increase throttle response.it will reduce the lag between the throttle body and when you put your foot in it. (not to be confused with faster revs ie: lightweight flywheel). Its proven to work, Ive seen it work on my previous car and in other peoples cars. is it worth $300? maybe. I bought mine used for $100 so yea sure why not. but If i had exhausted all other bolt-on options on my car and wanted to get "just a little more driveability" out of it, then i might be temped to shell out $300 bucks for it. as earlier mentioned its cool for a couple days and then you get used to it. true. but it still works and the car is still just a little bit more responsive. to each his own. OP if you really want one then buy it. try and find a used one first. if you think the money could be allocated towards something else that will give you more "bang for your buck", then wait.
It will improve response times, so in a sense it really does make your car faster. Just not $300+ kind of faster.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
Or you could get an Uprev tune and get not only the throttle response but a better running/ more powerful car all together.

Sprintbooster FTL

Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
yea im not in anyway saying its worth $300 bucks, and it certainly wont give you much bang for your buck, but it does make a small noticeable difference in throttle response. which is all its really meant to do anyway. again. not saying its the best product in the world #omg go buy it. just stating its not COMPLETELY useless and a worthwhile buy if you can get it on the cheap