G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

sanding down my car before paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Addict
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
sanding down my car before paint

asked a body shop guy who i recently bought headlights from and asked him if i sanded my car down how much will i be saving for a paint job..he told me sanding it down is nothing ill probably save 50 bucks...that cannot be possibly true?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
Most reputable shops won't touch ur car if you sand it down ur self, and they will most likley have to redo half of it unless you know what you are doing.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess it would depend if, even though your sanding it down. Is there more body work to be done? In the scheme if things sanding is just a small part when it comes to preping a body to be painted. Don't forget paint is expensive aswell...

Old 03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Addict
Originally Posted by G35SedanGrn
Most reputable shops won't touch ur car if you sand it down ur self, and they will most likley have to redo half of it unless you know what you are doing.
yeah i understand but ive wetsanded before and also detailed just on a tight budget so i figured i would save some money. ive seen people do this and save.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Addict
Originally Posted by eboelzner
I guess it would depend if, even though your sanding it down. Is there more body work to be done? In the scheme if things sanding is just a small part when it comes to preping a body to be painted. Don't forget paint is expensive aswell...
yeah i was planning on buying the paint myself from a website, here was my orginal plan idk if itll save me, i havent done anything to my car but im asking first...i was going to sand it down, theres no dents or any type of required work just lots of swirls and scratches, after sanding it down i would buy the paint a gallon perhaps if i decide to do the whole car and i guess he would primer it...idk man just trying to save a few bucks...want to have my car ready for the summer

Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I've heard of people doing this but when they want to go for one of those Maaco paint jobs.
In what part of New York are you? If you are in Long Island then I might recommend some shops that do pretty good work at a reasonable price.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace of Spades
yeah i understand but ive wetsanded before and also detailed just on a tight budget so i figured i would save some money. ive seen people do this and save.
IMO, if you are throwing down the money for a new paint job, you probably have the money for a little sanding

Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Addict
Originally Posted by DKano
I've heard of people doing this but when they want to go for one of those Maaco paint jobs.
In what part of New York are you? If you are in Long Island then I might recommend some shops that do pretty good work at a reasonable price.
im in the bronx.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Addict
Originally Posted by That's G
IMO, if you are throwing down the money for a new paint job, you probably have the money for a little sanding
if that was the case im not going to do my whole car...i still would like to get the paint myself most of these guys mix and try to match n ends up looking like crap...i think i would still buy the paint myself...idk

Old 03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Addict
Originally Posted by AmateuRN
Me thinks you're trying to cut corners.

Keep saving.
lol i am i mean some money in your pocket is better than nothing. its money i can use for other things, i guess i have to find a body painter that will understand btw i did my housing on my headlights same color as my car left the eye chrome came out nice...replaced my own radiator with the new one just gotta reinstall the core. thats money well saved : )

Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It costs like 100 bucks to sand down a car.. Maybe 150 at the most. There's not point in doing it unless if you know what you're doing.

If there will be any defects in the paint(If you sand it down yourself) you will be held accountable for it not the paint shop. So just save your self some time and just pay the guys to do it.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Addict
alright you guys ill listen, n ill save up

Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
I don't think a reputable shop is going to like you sanding it and buying the paint yourself. If the work doesn't come out right, they can just put the blame on your work and materials. Besides, exterior paint is very important and will last you years, you want it to look the best it can and not look like you painted it on a budget.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Addict
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
I don't think a reputable shop is going to like you sanding it and buying the paint yourself. If the work doesn't come out right, they can just put the blame on your work and materials. Besides, exterior paint is very important and will last you years, you want it to look the best it can and not look like you painted it on a budget.
true.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: sanding down my car before paint