Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Addict
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Brake Pads

Hawks vs axxis deluxe vs ebc pads vs oem pads vs any other one

the one with the best stopping power and less brake dust and reliability

im choosing to buy the one that gets the most.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just replaced all my pads with Duralast Gold from Autozone. 33 dollars a set and they are up to OEM specs. Braking power has been great and little to no brake dust.

The following users liked this post:
jtierney78 (03-30-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 AM
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
I have been researching the same thing recently. From what I understand,

hawks = less brake dust and noise but they have bad cold bite
axxis = good brake bite but noisy and dusty
ebc = no idea, didn't see that many reviews
oem = great bite but dusty

Hope that helps.

Also subscribed to learn too!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace of Spades
Hawks vs axxis deluxe vs ebc pads vs oem pads vs any other one the one with the best stopping power and less brake dust and reliability
im choosing to buy the one that gets the most.
Check it out, a new question........seriously did you try a SEARCH under brake pads? HAWK HPS pads have always been my choice since they stop like OE pads and leave 90% less dust on my Volks. Never has an issue with them even at freezing/extreme hot temps here in beautiful SoCal. Before you install them do a SEARCH on HAWK bed in process....Gary

Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Check it out, a new question........seriously did you try a SEARCH under brake pads? HAWK HPS pads have always been my choice since they stop like OE pads and leave 90% less dust on my Volks. Never has an issue with them even at freezing/extreme hot temps here in beautiful SoCal. Before you install them do a SEARCH on HAWK bed in process....Gary
^ What I will say about the search function on this site is that it's not the most functional thing. However, you can find almost anything you need to know on this site by Googling "subject" + G35. That yields great results. Telling people to use the search function on this site is pointing them in the wrong direction...for all the cool kids whose responses to questions are "search button."

Also, people's preferences/advice can change over time.

Last edited by That's G; 03-28-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Spelling b/c I'm a "spelling Nazi" according to another member on this site :)
acee (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
05'+ car, no better choice than OEM's. Peeps around here want $20-30 pads for their cars, OEM's and better pads are no way Jose $30. Plain and simple. OEM's and better pads are close to a C note, front or back. Hawk pads also have excellent rating so far. Unless you have upgraded pads, just stick with stock pads.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
friend used hawk racing pads... stopping power was damn impressive, little brake dust, but im pretty sure a rooster going through puberty crowing at 6:00am would make less noise then these things did.

I had EBC yellow stuff. Loved them for their performance, gave me great day to day stopping power without pulling my face off. And when i was on the track they more than did their job. Only issue is more than average brake dust i would say. But would definitely buy again.

no matter what you get, make sure to bed them properly

acee (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Addict
Originally Posted by TheBigG
I just replaced all my pads with Duralast Gold from Autozone. 33 dollars a set and they are up to OEM specs. Braking power has been great and little to no brake dust.
i see good price too how long you had them in car so far. im going to be runnning ebc rotors in the front.

Originally Posted by crazynuts16
I have been researching the same thing recently. From what I understand,

hawks = less brake dust and noise but they have bad cold bite
axxis = good brake bite but noisy and dusty
ebc = no idea, didn't see that many reviews
oem = great bite but dusty

Hope that helps.

Also subscribed to learn too!
nice

lol i live in new york btw i forgot to add i have ebc rotors in the front.

Originally Posted by That's G
^ What I will say about the search function on this site is that it's not the most functional thing. However, you can find almost anything you need to know on this site by Googling "subject" + G35. That yields great results. Telling people to use the search function on this site is pointing them in the wrong direction...for all the cool kids whose responses to questions are "search button."

Also, people's preferences/advice can change over time.
very true which is why i wanted to see cause you can never get a winner pad.

Originally Posted by 2K6G35c
05'+ car, no better choice than OEM's. Peeps around here want $20-30 pads for their cars, OEM's and better pads are no way Jose $30. Plain and simple. OEM's and better pads are close to a C note, front or back. Hawk pads also have excellent rating so far. Unless you have upgraded pads, just stick with stock pads.
yeah i was thinking of oem also i wonder how it would go with with my ebc rotor in the font im planning to upgrade rear rotors in the future.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Addict
Originally Posted by CantDieLS
friend used hawk racing pads... stopping power was damn impressive, little brake dust, but im pretty sure a rooster going through puberty crowing at 6:00am would make less noise then these things did.

I had EBC yellow stuff. Loved them for their performance, gave me great day to day stopping power without pulling my face off. And when i was on the track they more than did their job. Only issue is more than average brake dust i would say. But would definitely buy again.

no matter what you get, make sure to bed them properly
whats the bedding process for these?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
ebc's you install them, and this is the fun part....

accelerate to 60 mph and jam on them lol.
Seriously tho, do 60-0 runs but try and apply smooth but firm pressure, dont lock them up but make ur car stop quickly. Do this intermittently for about the first 100 miles and do about 5-8 runs at a time over the course of like 5-14 days.
side note: you will likely experience brake fade during the later runs this is do to your now hotter than normal brake fluid coursing through your lines. If you have SS lines this fade will be reduced. Also dont do this in traffic.

acee (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Addict

Seriously tho, do 60-0 runs but try and apply smooth but firm pressure, dont lock them up but make ur car stop quickly. Do this intermittently for about the first 100 miles and do about 5-8 runs at a time over the course of like 5-14 days.
side note: you will likely experience brake fade during the later runs this is do to your now hotter than normal brake fluid coursing through your lines. If you have SS lines this fade will be reduced. Also dont do this in traffic.

sounds like fun question i dont think i have ss lines what should i do about the brake fade? and also i havent changed my brake fluid ever since i bought the car and i do not know if the previous owner did either...what do you advise?

hmm ebc might win im still in for other outputs too...

Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts

This....^....is NOT the bed in process HAWK recommends and it's wrong!....SEARCH bed in process!

Ace you won't have brake fade with the HAWK HPS pads nor will you have the brake dust like the OE pads. If you're having someone install the pads, also have them replace your old brake fluid....cheap insurance your calipers will stay healthy.
Gary

Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace of Spades
i see good price too how long you had them in car so far. im going to be runnning ebc rotors in the front.

I've had them in for a few thousand miles. The stopping power has been more than adequate and I've not seen much brake dust. Honestly not a bad pad for 33 dollars. If I had to do it again I'd go right back and get the same pads. If they wear quicker than OEM ones I'll go buy another set and still be at less than the price the stealership wanted for OEM pads.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K6G35c
+1 ^^^
I agree. I've researched different pads for a while and I think OEM are excellent. I've done dozens of autocross courses and track days on the oem's and they are better than most pads I've used. I agree if you have upgraded ROTORS ^ switch to a compatible compound, but for the STOCK rotors, stock brake pads are daily driver/ race ready. I do want to try the Hawk HPS because of the good reviews but would almost bet OEM would perform just as well. (05+ pads) Cant comment on pre-'05 pads...

Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
This....^....is NOT the bed in process HAWK recommends and it's wrong!....SEARCH bed in process!
Gary
^^ that was the bed in process that came in the box of my EBC yellowstuff. Thats why i said "for ebc's..."

^^ Hawk HPS pads provided the best performance I have personally felt on a car. But they squeal the most as well. That was my only complaint.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads