G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Issue with ballast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Issue with ballast?

Hi,

Just today when I started my car and turned on the headlights, I notice that the driver side HID is off. And I recently bought some new 8000k bulbs and they were working fine, no flickering or any issue with it not turning on.

So then I took it to Nissan where my buddy works at and had him take a look at it. At first I thought it was the wiring that was lose (Maybe I went over a bump too fast which caused the wiring to disconnect). But it was not that.

Then we tested out to see if it was the bulbs that had gone bad (I thought it wouldn't be the bulbs because I just bought these 2 weeks ago). We took the working bulb(Passenger side) and swapped it to the driver side (The side where the headlight is off) and vice versa. And when we turned the headlights back on, the driver side was still off, and the passenger side was on without any problems.

So then he checked all the lights such as DRL, highbeam, etc. All of them were working fine on both sides except for the driver side HID headlight.

So my question here is, do you guys think it is the ballast? If its the ballast, what's the best way to fix it? Should I take it to the dealership? I did some research and found out that its pretty expensive to buy a brand new ballast from the dealership.

I really want to get the headlights fix fast, because it looks so retarded with just one side on.

What do you guys think? Thanks

EDIT: These bulbs are my second set of aftermarket HID bulbs. The first set I had was GARAX 6000K bulbs. For these bulbs, I had an issue too, where whenever I go over uneven roads, the driver side headlight would flicker. So I think it was acting up before.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Sounds like the ballast. Swap bulbs and see if that solves it....if not, its the ballast. Seems to be a design flaw in our headlights, water collects in the ballast somehow and it shorts it out. You can get a new one on ebay for around $80 shipped though.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Okay so i ordered a ballast from ebay $90. I have replaced it. When i took out the previous ballast there was water in the part where plug the cord in. I was really surprised how water could get it.

But one problem I have now is that the side where I replaced the ballast aims higher than the other side. Do you guys think it has something to do with the bulb position? I have the 05 headlights not the projectors.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem in every way not too long ago.. Same side, same 8000k bulbs and all. One day the drivers side just stopped working. Ended up being that the yellow "grounding" wire had came unplugged. Check that and maybe it will fix the problem for you.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are these factory ballasts y'all are talkin about if so where do you get 8k bulbs? I got 6k for my highs and I want to change out the factory hid to something brighter but I don't know how bright the factory ones are Do y'all know?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Jhambor;6392004]Sounds like the ballast. Swap bulbs and see if that solves it....if not, its the ballast. Seems to be a design flaw in our headlights, water collects in the ballast somehow and it shorts it out. You can get a new one on ebay for around $80 shipped though.[/QUOTE hey guys same issue must I change the hid ballest wire to ?]