G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

The old exhaust quiestion with a bit of a twist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The old exhaust quiestion with a bit of a twist

AIGHT guys I went and got my car tuned and dyno'ed

I have stock cats with a M2 exhaust (hks replica)

The guy there said it was leaky and i need to get a new exhaust and art pipes to get more power. So i am 100% getting art pipes, but my question is what exhaust???

I am stuck between the Bassani and Motordyne. Obviously everyone is going to say motpr dyne, but what kind of HP gains will i show over a bassani for 500$ more?

will these exhaust give more power gain over my m2>>?

p.s. i know i spelt the title wrong "question"

i heard the bassani in person and LOVE the low groul v8 and its 500$ cheaper, but if the motordyne will give me a significant hp increase over the bassani then i will go for that.

if niether will increase hp over my m2 i might just go with bassani anyways because i know what it sounds like and its not that expensive once i sell my M2 for 300$ ish

PLZ PROVIDE YOUR ARGUMENT TO help me choose!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Get the bassani unless you are worried about a couple hp. Get it for sound, if you like it, buy it! Your not going to be missing much hp, if any.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by MADtotheA
Get the bassani unless you are worried about a couple hp. Get it for sound, if you like it, buy it! Your not going to be missing much hp, if any.
perfect thats the kind of answer i needed, straight to the point. You think the bassani will increase hp over my leaky m2?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Maxknuckles
perfect thats the kind of answer i needed, straight to the point. You think the bassani will increase hp over my leaky m2?
Hard to say but most likely, yes. Exhaust just don't do much for these cars but once you throw those art pipes on, you should see better results. Most of the restriction is in the stock cats.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Honestly, there wont be much gains with the bassani over the m2, if any at all. I would go MD the entire way.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Honestly, there wont be much gains with the bassani over the m2, if any at all. I would go MD the entire way.
But if there are no gains on hp I should go with what I know and I know nassini sounds good. Ideally someone with a md should come to my house and show me lol anyone in bay area with md exhaust?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
You will never have to question the quality of an MD exhaust, Tony, who engineers the systems for our cars is on here all the time, and personally answers the phone to talk if there are any questions. He offers one of the best performing systems and the best looking IMO and there are plenty of people who will agree.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Max I've heard the Motordyne dual in person and loved it! Is it worth the extra $$ for a few more RWHP that's up to you. I feel sorry for our members that buy knockoff systems and they turn to **** but that's one of life's lessons, "you get what you pay for!"
Gary

Old 04-19-2012, 12:53 AM
Bassani isn't a knock off. X02 is a knock off. Md is a good company though so if you have money to throw away... You know the deal. Either way, it's up to you. Maybe go to a meet and see if you like the md exhaust sound better. Don't buy for hp gains bc our cars don't respond well to bolt ons.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hard to say but most likely, yes. Exhaust just don't do much for these cars but once you throw those art pipes on, you should see better results. Most of the restriction is in the stock cats.
I have a Bassani and that's precisely what cameto mind when I read this thread. GL with your choice.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i have the motordyne with megan resonated test pipes, and ive yet to hear another g35 in new mexico that sounds as clean as mine. No rasp at all and the exhaust is unbelievable quality

Old 04-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Bassani isn't a knock off. X02 is a knock off. Md is a good company though so if you have money to throw away... You know the deal. Either way, it's up to you. Maybe go to a meet and see if you like the md exhaust sound better. Don't buy for hp gains bc our cars don't respond well to bolt ons.
Is there any dynoed proof that our cars don't...? I don't mean that in a harsh way. I'm just curious.

Any high compression motor is going to respond well to bolt-ons. The more air you can move through the motor, the better...

Coming from a Maxima, I can say that headers are one of the best bang-for-your-buck mods you can do to a VQ outside of spray...but headers are a whole different animal compared to a catback.

Like most everyone else said, you'll see the most gains not from either catback, but from putting on a decent set of test pipes...I've still got a stock catback, and the first thing I did when I got my G was put test pipes on it. I picked up a good bit of midrange torque. Or, at least, that's what my butt dyno told me. I have yet to actually get to a dyno.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Is there any dynoed proof that our cars don't...? I don't mean that in a harsh way. I'm just curious.

Any high compression motor is going to respond well to bolt-ons. The more air you can move through the motor, the better...

Coming from a Maxima, I can say that headers are one of the best bang-for-your-buck mods you can do to a VQ outside of spray...but headers are a whole different animal compared to a catback.

Like most everyone else said, you'll see the most gains not from either catback, but from putting on a decent set of test pipes...I've still got a stock catback, and the first thing I did when I got my G was put test pipes on it. I picked up a good bit of midrange torque. Or, at least, that's what my butt dyno told me. I have yet to actually get to a dyno.
With every bolt on and a tune most are lucky to hit 290. That's proof in itself especially since that's thousands of dollars for maybe 40-50 hp gain. Plenty of people think this. And headers are not the best bang for buck, hfc or test pipes are. Headers install cost is insane.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM
We'll good info. So many peeps have md while very few have bassani. Tells a little something

Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
With every bolt on and a tune most are lucky to hit 290. That's proof in itself especially since that's thousands of dollars for maybe 40-50 hp gain. Plenty of people think this. And headers are not the best bang for buck, hfc or test pipes are. Headers install cost is insane.
Yes, test pipes are a good bang for your buck, too, I agree.

But at the end of the day, if you install the headers yourself, it's definitely one of the best, cost-effective mods you can do to a naturally aspirated motor. If you look at the stock exhaust manifolds on the G, at the point where they connect to the catalytic converters, the ID of the piping looks like it's about 1.75", no joke. It creates a bottleneck effect, and therefore reduces horsepower.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The old exhaust quiestion with a bit of a twist