G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Yet again more problems..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have the tools to do it, then do it yourself. If you don't have the tools to do it, then take it to a shop or find a friend that has them and mooch like there's no tomorrow. Or go buy them yourself, probably isn't too expensive I wouldn't imagine but I've never looked into it and don't feel like it right now.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't exactly pressure test with a vacuum . You pressure test by using a tool which usually connects to the radiator cap. There's a small hand pump with a gauge. You pump up to the pressure on the radiator cap (typically ~15 psi) and start observing for leaks.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great. Thanks guys! I'll try to tackle this tomorrow if time permits

Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Update time. So I happen to find one of those tester things in my garage. Lucky me anyways hooked it up started pumping and immediately heard a hissing noise. System would not hold any pressure and couldn't even pump past about 8 or 9 psi. So I had a friend come over started the car on jack stands and once the fan comes on there was the leak again around the oil pan. Finally got a better look on the jack stands and we could kind of follow where it was coming and our Best GUESS at this point would probably be the thermostat gasket. The hissing was coming from that area we couldn't really fit our hands in there to feel anything wet but so far it's the only thing that kinda makes sense. So I guess I'm going to start there hopefully tomorrow if I have some spare time

Quick question: I had the thermostat replaced when I swapped the motor in December and have only driven the car maybe 500 miles since. Should I replace the whole thermostat or just the gasket? Thanks in advance and for all your help!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Why would you need to replace the whole thermostat if it's just the gasket that's leaking? Unless the thermostat is faulty, i see no reason to replace it.

Edit: I'm not familiar with the thermostat on these cars, but if it's just an oring, that should be easy to replace.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Big win today!! Jk. I got a new thermostat new gaskets bolted up filled up the coolant and noticed the same drip that only happened when the fans turned on. Put on the tester thingy and now it starts pouring out. But still can't see where it's coming from. Btw I'm assuming the elreason I never saw it before until the fans kicked on or never saw a constant drip was because it was extremely low on coolant.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
So after some more testing. The initial hissing from when I hooked up the pressure tester was gone with the new therm. However just wanted to say that I can follow the leak up somewhere in the area of the ac compressor but that thing is massive and can't see around it. I t looks like its coming from somewhere behind there. There's nothing coming from the thermostat anymore (I obviously had a few leaks) and all the visible hoses are staying dry. Anybody know what could be around that area behind the compressor causing this?

Old 05-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Ok so now tracked it down and pretty sure it's my water pump. Does anybody know how to get the water pump cover off? I'm trying to take both the covers off they are unbolted but can't crack loose for the life of them

Old 05-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Ok so got the covers off going to tackle tomorrow. Anybody know if there's anything special I should know while doing this. I've read the Manual like a thousand times but is there anything in there I should look at or lining up when installing?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I would remove the lower oil pan because coolant will leak out when water pump pulled.

Tricky part is getting the timing chain tensioner out. Follow the factory service manual and should have no problems
Be careful not overtorque water pump fasteners.

I have sucessfully removed/replaced water pump through TC cover.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the input. Quick question though,

What would the oil pan have to do with coolant leaking?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Its nothing to do with the coolant leak itself.

Like I said in first sentence of post, coolant will leak out when water pump pulled. You don't want coolant mixing with oil or have any residual coolant left in pan.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Well guys update time... Just finished waterpump. What a pita! Anywho car started and idled fine however the temp needle was fluctiating a little I'm assuming because of all the air bubbles. We tried burping the system with the cap off and there were crazy bubbles but I'm going to wait to get one of those funnels and do it again. But at least no more crazy leak!
On a brighter note I posted the car on Craigslist in the middle of the water pump job and seem to have a serious buyer despite everything about the car so pretty excited I hope I can really sell and stop all this craziness. I gotta catch up on debt first then I'll hop in another one. I LOVE the car... Just not this one

Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackout2277
Well guys update time... Just finished waterpump. What a pita! Anywho car started and idled fine however the temp needle was fluctiating a little I'm assuming because of all the air bubbles. We tried burping the system with the cap off and there were crazy bubbles but I'm going to wait to get one of those funnels and do it again. But at least no more crazy leak!
On a brighter note I posted the car on Craigslist in the middle of the water pump job and seem to have a serious buyer despite everything about the car so pretty excited I hope I can really sell and stop all this craziness. I gotta catch up on debt first then I'll hop in another one. I LOVE the car... Just not this one
So what happened?