G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

iPod integration wire mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
iPod integration wire mount

hey guys i have an 04 with navigation and i need advice for a good spot to mount the cord that connects to the bottom of the ipod/iphone. I will most likely be using my iphone as an ipod and i want to be able to get to my phone so where do you guys think is a perfect spot beside the glove box. Remember i have the navigation so i cant mount the wire in those chambers/box. Thanks a head of time for all your help

Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I cant remember where the coupe connection is for the integration kit. But I have mine (sedan) running under the carpet from the rear seat, through the center console. The unit is sitting right behind the ash tray and the ipod cord comes out on the passenger side of the console and runs up into the center console. I also have nav. Looks alright and no drilling holes!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Hey guys I Took the car to a audio shop and they could not install the iPod intergration. They said that they connected it to the SAT button and it only work for a little bit then didnt work. The guy said I needed to buy a tuner. What do you guys think?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Are you using something like an iSimple gateways or other similar Aux adapters? To my knowledge, the iSimple gateway along with several others will only work when SAT is not connected. With these kits, when you connect the IPod as well as the Factory Sat, the iPod will only work for a few seconds because the factory Sat signal will kick on an override it.

Also when they install the kit, they need to leave the iPhone unplugged and the car/radio off for like 5 mins for the integration kit to do the initial boot up. If this is not done, it will act wacky and not work right.

The following users liked this post:
Gisele (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by a471133
Are you using something like an iSimple gateways or other similar Aux adapters? To my knowledge, the iSimple gateway along with several others will only work when SAT is not connected. With these kits, when you connect the IPod as well as the Factory Sat, the iPod will only work for a few seconds because the factory Sat signal will kick on an override it.

Also when they install the kit, they need to leave the iPhone unplugged and the car/radio off for like 5 mins for the integration kit to do the initial boot up. If this is not done, it will act wacky and not work right.
Yes the audio shop was trying to install iSimple and they said that it only worked for not even a couple minutes then didn't work. What do you think i should tell them or should i take it somewhere else?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 PM
If they don't know that the SAT and ipod adapter can't be used at the same time on on our cars, they probably have very little experience working on our cars. So here goes:

I am using this reference image: http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=ISNI571

Look at the cable in this picture. (if I remember right) I believe the plug for the satellite radio is the 1st female (3rd white) connector from the left. If the satellite radio from the car is plugged into this socket, it will override the ipod function (hence, leave it unplugged and try the ipod function). The stock satellite connector, if I recall right, is for the 12 pin male connector, Tthe other larger 10 pin connector is for other stuff on the stock radio.

Also, do not let the installer tell you that your steering wheel functions don't work with this unit. I experimented with the Dip switches, and you need to have dip #3 set to on (pushed down). The only thing I have noticed is to switch tracks, you need to hold the seek up/down for a second.

After the dip switches are set and everything is plugged in, it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to connect the battery but DO NOT turn the car on for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn the car on, radio on, and plug in your ipod/iphone. Push the SAT button (you may have to push FM first then SAT to switch), and then press the seek up/down to scroll between ipod and AUX modes (i would select ipod).

Menu function: (bear with the system, it is slow and sometimes blinks between the menu you are in and IPOD back and forth). Press TUNE down to engage it ipod menu. Use SEEK up/down to toggle playlist/artist/etc. press TUNE down again to select the option. Press TUNE up to back out a menu anytime. Use these to select what you want to play. press and hold SCAN to put music in random mode. Press and hold RPT(DISP) to toggle display between title/artist.

I know this is a long post, but my original installer sucked as well and I ripped everything apart and figured the above out. PM me if you have any other questions.

Gisele (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by a471133
If they don't know that the SAT and ipod adapter can't be used at the same time on on our cars, they probably have very little experience working on our cars. So here goes:

I am using this reference image: http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=ISNI571

Look at the cable in this picture. (if I remember right) I believe the plug for the satellite radio is the 1st female (3rd white) connector from the left. If the satellite radio from the car is plugged into this socket, it will override the ipod function (hence, leave it unplugged and try the ipod function). The stock satellite connector, if I recall right, is for the 12 pin male connector, Tthe other larger 10 pin connector is for other stuff on the stock radio.

Also, do not let the installer tell you that your steering wheel functions don't work with this unit. I experimented with the Dip switches, and you need to have dip #3 set to on (pushed down). The only thing I have noticed is to switch tracks, you need to hold the seek up/down for a second.

After the dip switches are set and everything is plugged in, it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to connect the battery but DO NOT turn the car on for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn the car on, radio on, and plug in your ipod/iphone. Push the SAT button (you may have to push FM first then SAT to switch), and then press the seek up/down to scroll between ipod and AUX modes (i would select ipod).

Menu function: (bear with the system, it is slow and sometimes blinks between the menu you are in and IPOD back and forth). Press TUNE down to engage it ipod menu. Use SEEK up/down to toggle playlist/artist/etc. press TUNE down again to select the option. Press TUNE up to back out a menu anytime. Use these to select what you want to play. press and hold SCAN to put music in random mode. Press and hold RPT(DISP) to toggle display between title/artist.

I know this is a long post, but my original installer sucked as well and I ripped everything apart and figured the above out. PM me if you have any other questions.
Thank you so much for this very informative information. I was gonna give up. I will take my car to another shop and now i have this to tell them. Do you think i can do this myself? Is the installation hard? I wonder if there are DIY anywhere for it.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM
This install is easy enough if you have done any other DIYs before. You basically have to follow the instructions listed in the Audio section of the forum on how to remove the BOSE head unit (it is in the double din thread). All you are doing is unplugging the the two white connectors from the back of the radio, connecting only the 10 pin larger connector to the dongle they give you for the car, then plugging the dongle they give you into the back of the radio. The black long connector connects to the iSimple, which you can velcro mount anywhere you like, and then you just plug the ipod cable into the iSimple gateway and route it to where you would like it.

The most daunting part is removing the radio if you haven't done it before, but again, there are excellent guides/video guides on this site. All you really need for this install is a power driver, phillips head, and a long skinny philips screwdriver. There is no cutting/splicing of any wires, you are literally just unplugging connectors and connecting new ones.

Gisele (05-10-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
awesome just got done the install thanks for the advice a471133 its weird the manul says dipsettting 3 for infiniti but dipsettting 2 works fine and lets you skip tracks from the steering wheel. Thanks works great now just need to learn the controls through head unit.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Sweet, enjoy