G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

MREV2 on '07 6MT Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MREV2 on '07 6MT Coupe?

Sorry I this is a re-post but I've looked through the search section and have seen it said both ways and I just wanna have a clear answer. With a rev-up engine when I get the MREV2 would I also need the 5/16 spacer? I've seen people say yes but also no so I just want to be sure

Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
RevUp needs the MREV2 to run the spacer, doesn't need the spacer to run the MREV2

Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Yes, REVUP motors need both the MREV2 and plenum spacer to achieve maximum gains.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGenius
RevUp needs the MREV2 to run the spacer
Really... why? The upper/lower manifolds all have the same horizontal dimensions (or they wouldn't seal), so why is a spacer needed for the MREV2?

OP, I just installed the MREV2 + 5/16 copepr this weekend on my '07 Coupe 6MT. Like most reviews, there's a noticeable power difference - highly recommended bolt-ons

My airbox (not manifold) has a bit of a wheezing noise now when accellerating or when I "blip" the throttle in neutral it makes a noise similar to a BOV. Tony from Motordyne said this is normal, but I haven't read about anyone else mentioning this issue. My install was perfect and and ECU/idle resets didn't chnage anything. Am I normal?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM
NYT
RevUp needs the MREV2 to run the spacer
Really... why? The upper/lower manifolds all have the same horizontal dimensions (or they wouldn't seal), so why is a spacer needed for the MREV2?

OP, I just installed the MREV2 + 5/16 copepr this weekend on my '07 Coupe 6MT. Like most reviews, there's a noticeable power difference - highly recommended bolt-ons

My airbox (not manifold) has a bit of a wheezing noise now when accellerating or when I "blip" the throttle in neutral it makes a noise similar to a BOV. Tony from Motordyne said this is normal, but I haven't read about anyone else mentioning this issue. My install was perfect and and ECU/idle resets didn't chnage anything. Am I normal?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
RevUp needs the MREV2 to run the spacer, doesn't need the spacer to run the MREV2
THIS.

Read on for the cliff's notes on why this is true:

A spacer is useless on the RevUp lower plenum.
The MREV2 is technically a non-RevUp lower plenum that has been modified.
The non-RevUp design, plus the mods, are what give the RevUp engines the big boost in TQ.
As with normal non-RevUp engines, the spacer provides a nice boost to HP/TQ numbers.

So, yes you can run the MREV2 alone. However, HP drops off after 6200 RPM compared to the stock REVUP plenum. Basically most of your gains are seen in the 2K to 6K RPM range.
So for the BEST gains, you should use both the MREV2 plus the spacer. But if your budget is limited, get the MREV2 then add the spacer later.

If what I posted above is still too confusing, here is a dyno showing a RevUp baseline, MREV2 with out spacer, and MREV2 with spacer.

The following users liked this post:
SDGenius (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If you are still confused call Tony over at MD, he is very helpful.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:51 PM
NYT
Originally Posted by kidtronix
Why not just email Motordyne and get it straight from the horses mouth?
I did, I mentioned it in my post. Just want others to verify since hundreds of people here have done the same mod.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by NYT

read what i posted, i'll make it easier for you... the spacer alone, does nothing for a RevUp, so you "need" the MREV2 to get any gains. you don't "need" the spacer to get gains w/a RevUp, the MREV2 alone will make gains, but when combined w/the spacer will make max gains. understand?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM
NYT
read what i posted, i'll make it easier for you... the spacer alone, does nothing for a RevUp, so you "need" the MREV2 to get any gains. you don't "need" the spacer to get gains w/a RevUp, the MREV2 alone will make gains, but when combined w/the spacer will make max gains. understand?
Totally get it - you don't need the spacer with MREV2, but you want it for optimal gains. Just wanted to make it clear for the OP and it made me curious too (if I got lucky ordering both).

To LoSt180 point, technically you could install the MREV2 and spacer seperately, but for a measily $200 do both at the same time to save time/money on install and mazimize your return.

I've seen a lot of different dyno's for these MD products, but it's interesting to see the spacer gains in the upper RPM. My butt dyno felt this as the car didn't run out of breath and pulls nice to redline now

Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Also what spacer would I need I live in San Diego would I just need the basic spacer or iso thermal?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by NYT
Totally get it - you don't need the spacer with MREV2, but you want it for optimal gains. Just wanted to make it clear for the OP and it made me curious too (if I got lucky ordering both).

To LoSt180 point, technically you could install the MREV2 and spacer seperately, but for a measily $200 do both at the same time to save time/money on install and mazimize your return.

I've seen a lot of different dyno's for these MD products, but it's interesting to see the spacer gains in the upper RPM. My butt dyno felt this as the car didn't run out of breath and pulls nice to redline now
yeah, also you do NEED to have an MREV2 on a RevUp to get any gains from a spacer.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by S_johnston69
Also what spacer would I need I live in San Diego would I just need the basic spacer or iso thermal?
iso thermal is always better, don't let people confuse you on that. too many people tie copper and iso thermal together incorrectly.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM
what part of SD are you in? i'm in Oceanside

Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 PM
what part of SD are you in? i'm in Oceanside
Live in Ramona, work in San Marcos

Why is the iso-thermal better than the basic for where we live?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MREV2 on '07 6MT Coupe?