G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Belt Noise! Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Belt Noise! Help!

Hitting some pretty bad heat here in the NE part of the states and had to turn on my AC in the last couple of weeks.

I've been hearing a whining sound (possibly coming from a belt), but it usually only happens when I turn on the AC and in idle. If i'm driving and moving with AC on... i do not hear it. Coming to a stop sign/red light, I begin hearing that whining noise again? Is this a belt noise from AC? How much does it cost to replace or is there any alternative solution to fix (and yes i know, i could not use AC, but it's HOT!)?

Thanks for any input!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds like your typical belt squeal... sometimes it will occur at idle and it goes away once you get on the gas. Check your belt tensions. How old are your belts?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
You probably just need to replace the belt. It could likely just be tightened, but if it's squealing and never used to before... it's probably stretched and has cracks in it. Replacement belts are dirt cheap and well worth the simple effort of just swapping them out with new ones rather than wasting time with adjustment of old/worn belts.

Just make sure that there is no oil or other liquid/grease on the A/C belt.. because that would cause it to slip as well. If it's slipping now, it's only going to get worse in the winter too, because the belts become stiff and don't flex that easily... so anytime you go to put on your front window defogger or put your heat on RECIRCULATE during the winter, you'll get the belt squeal (modern cars use the A/C system in conjunction with the heat to dehumidify the air in the cabin before blowing it onto the windshield so that it doesn't fog up).

Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Can't you just spray some WD40? I did this on my xterra like 4 months ago and I'm all good...

Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
I hope you only sprayed the belt with WD40, and not the actual pulley.

WD40 is great for getting old, rusted parts working, and such. But definitely not for oiling pulley bearings. WD40 will eat away the grease in the bearings, as well as break down at a much lower temperature.

It also depends on how old his belt is. The tensioners might be over-tightened, or the belt might be old and worn. There are a few reasons belts squeal.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 06G35Coupe94
Can't you just spray some WD40? I did this on my xterra like 4 months ago and I'm all good...
NO! Absolutely don't do that. The bearings on your pulleys are not necessarily sealed and WD-40 can work its way into them (as the other guy MR. Brett mentioned), plus if the belt is already slipping/squealing, this is likely to just make it worse since WD-40 acts as a short-term/temporary lubricant. It may make the squealing stop, but only because the belt is now slipping with more ease (thus less squeal) on the pulley rather than gripping the pulley as it should.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
I hope you only sprayed the belt with WD40, and not the actual pulley.

WD40 is great for getting old, rusted parts working, and such. But definitely not for oiling pulley bearings. WD40 will eat away the grease in the bearings, as well as break down at a much lower temperature.

It also depends on how old his belt is. The tensioners might be over-tightened, or the belt might be old and worn. There are a few reasons belts squeal.
yea I just sprayed the belts

Old 07-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeRo G35
Hitting some pretty bad heat here in the NE part of the states and had to turn on my AC in the last couple of weeks.

I've been hearing a whining sound (possibly coming from a belt), but it usually only happens when I turn on the AC and in idle. If i'm driving and moving with AC on... i do not hear it. Coming to a stop sign/red light, I begin hearing that whining noise again? Is this a belt noise from AC? How much does it cost to replace or is there any alternative solution to fix (and yes i know, i could not use AC, but it's HOT!)?

Thanks for any input!
Soap water solution is the best for belts.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 PM
If you want to try saving the belt before you replace it, I believe CRC makes a can of belt conditioner. If the belt is squealing because it's dry, the chemicals in the conditioner will sort of revitalize the rubber, a lot like the chemicals in tire shine do for your tires.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Looks like I will try to replace it this weekend or next. Do I have to buy the belts at a Nissan / Infiniti dealership or is there standard sizes I can purchase at a auto store like Auto Zone or Pep Boys.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Save yourself the money and hit up Advance or AutoZone. No sense paying extra for Nissan belts. They're all the same.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Why do people think WD40 is the solution to everything from world hunger to STD's? "Just sprayed some on my junk, now everything is fine!"

Use the right product for the intended purpose.

I have a similar belt squealing issue and will try the belt conditioner (thanks Mr Brett) and, failing that, a new belt. Probably due for replacement, anyway.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Swivel
Why do people think WD40 is the solution to everything from world hunger to STD's? "Just sprayed some on my junk, now everything is fine!"

Use the right product for the intended purpose.

I have a similar belt squealing issue and will try the belt conditioner (thanks Mr Brett) and, failing that, a new belt. Probably due for replacement, anyway.
Agreed, I rather just purchase a new belt since I'm due for a replacement as well. I haven't changed any of the belts since I got the car at 40k miles. it's at 80k miles now.

How expensive are these and what should I ask for? A/C belt?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Just give them the year/make/model of your car, and tell them you need an A/C pulley belt. That should be all they need.

I can't imagine a belt, outside of a serpentine belt, costing over $10 from Advance or AutoZone.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Could we use this write-up? Found this on my350z...

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...very-easy.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Belt Noise! Help!