G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Something to check out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something to check out

For you guys that may be having problems with you cars. You need to check your battery and see what the true volts are. Check to see if your able to get a full charge. Car batteries are not 12 volts. Back when I worked on GM cars in the 80s I cannot tell you how many times a bad battery was the cause of the computer not doing its job. OEM batteries are not the best and you would be surprised what a performance battery can do for you.

Check this out http://www.landiss.com/battery.htm

Old 01-23-2005, 04:18 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the tip on batteries. I doubt many realize that a poor battery can affect performance very adversely.
From what I understand, it's best to do a load test on it to see how it does during use, as well as the voltage test. True????

Old 01-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by gsedanman
Thanks for the tip on batteries. I doubt many realize that a poor battery can affect performance very adversely.
From what I understand, it's best to do a load test on it to see how it does during use, as well as the voltage test. True????
Any battery test is good. The one I feel is best is to check the volts after a few hours after driveing the car. It will let you know if its holding a charge. 12 volts are not enough. Most computers in cars are dropped down in voltage.
The main problem I have found with Batteries are they have been over heated and the plates start to break down and you start to loose your ground and that is where the problems start. The computers do not know what to do. This may be a big reason why the grounding kits work great for some people. My new g35c 6mt will be here this next week and the first thing I will do is put A performance type in. Some of the new cars have been bulit over 120 days ago and we know they have not been charged right. Im not much of a writer so I hoped this helped. Dennis

Old 01-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very good technical document, should become a sticky!

Old 01-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by MrElussive
OEM batteries on new cars work just fine. At the very least, this is not a GM car where they're willing to use a cheaper battery as long as it works well enough to get you off the dealer's parking lot...

Seriously though, I haven't had any problems with my car (or at least not due to the battery). My old Whistler 3400 remote install radar detector was able to display voltage information, and the battery/electrical was always just fine in that department.
I think what IM trying to say here is this. If your battery is at 12 volts and your alternator is set to charge your battery to 14 volts there will be heat envelop here plus the fact that your alternator is always under a load trying to charge your battery. I have seen new battery's over 13 volts. As you drive you car it might say 12 volts but what is it when your car is just sitting there off? Higher voltage is always better than low voltage. Its the amps that hurt things. GM Cars come with Delco batteries and are very high rated.
I think its something like AC/DELCO/BOSE IM glad my new car comes with a BOSE system. I know it does not have a delco battery in it. Just trying to help.