Need Clutch for 2004 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Clutch for 2004 coupe

Hey guys

My first post here!

After owning my car for around 9 years I need to change my clutch again. I remember at around 50,000 miles a new engine was put in through warranty due to the excessive oil it was burning. While they were swapping in the new motor they told me the clutch was going out and they would do the labor for free, I just had to pay for the clutch which I remember it not being that much.

I moved from Cali to Pittsburgh a year ago and my fiance sold her car before we left. So, she drove my car for around 5-6 months, put about 5,000 miles on it. I work from home so I hardly drove it at all. Well, when she finally got her car the damage I believe was done to my ride. I remember having no issues at all before moving.

I took my car to Nissan to get inspected due to another issue but I asked them about the clutch and this is what they told me:

"Clutch very worn and slipping, Clutch $99.85, Pressure plate $68.36, Throw bearing $235.25 and Fly Wheel $ 1078.92, parts and labor- Total $2013.00 Plus tax"
(Exact words from paper)

How can they have checked all this if I got my car back from inspection in 2hrs? Also, I felt skeptical noticing the mechanics at Nissan looking like they were 16yrs old (no joke). Can you really check all this within 2hrs...? I would be thinking no right....

I know my clutch is bad, but all the other stuff??? WTF. I know my 5th gear throw bearing is not doing so well because in low rpms it would rattle. The car has currently 122k miles.

I need to change it ASAP because I don't want to be caught in the snow with a crappy clutch...If I just accelerate without really taking it easy it pops the rpms up and if I floor it, forget it I just cant. I am a little tight on cash at the moment but I need this done.

Do you guys recommend a place to buy this from cheaper than Nissan? And maybe a place in the Pittsburgh are to get it installed?

Sorry for the long post, I just don't know where else to ask.

Thank you

Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Buy the parts yourself and have a shop do the install you should come out a lot cheaper. JWT offers some nice clutch and flywheel packages.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
+1 with hologram on this one. Hit up THMotorsports for the clutch and flywheel and have your local trustworthy mechanic install it for you.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thank you very much.

I am going to take my car over to CRS ...its really close to my house and they seem to be really honest people. They guy put on my front brakes/rotors and treated my fiance and I if we were years old costumers. They charge $60 per hour. Do you guys know around how many hours it takes?

I will order the parts online soon.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hello,

I'm not sure how particular you are about your G, but I suggest doing some research on clutch chatter/clatter and flywheel noise. The easiest and cheapest way to go is to buy a new clutch package from say Exedy(OEM fit) and a new flywheel. The package will come with everything you need except the flywheel. When you change your flywheel, it more than likely won't be a dual mass flywheel like the stock flywheel. Because of this, you will get a cement grinder sound at idle. The way to compensate for this is to buy a heavier flywheel. I got one a steel one from SPEC to help alleviate the problem. The only issue is it doesn't eliminate the sound completely since the flywheel is no longer a dual mass flywheel. After going this route, I realized that the sound will never be completely gone with a single mass flywheel. That being said, if I did it again I would go with the OS Giken twin clutch that actually comes with a light weight flywheel. Its a better performing clutch for smoother shifts and comes with a flywheel. Just something to consider before you buy.

If those are not issues you are worried then go with the Exedy(OEM package clutch) and a SPEC flywheel. Should cost around $700 or so for parts. Maybe a bit less. Assaultech is where I bought both of mine. Should have no issues at all. Just expect a little cement grinder sound at idle. Please read about the JWT combo package. Some people are ok with it, some people couldn't not stand the loudness of the grinder sound, due to the very lightweight flywheel.

Labor costs will depend on the expertise of the mechanic. My mechanic is really fast and knows the car well. He did it in 3 hours. Another place quoted me 8 hours. Hope this helps.