G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Radar detector rear window/deck mount. Where to get power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar detector rear window/deck mount. Where to get power?

Hi all,

I decided to put a radar detector in the G, but am a stock look kind of guy and am considering mounting the detector on the rear windshield. The only thing I can't figure out is where to get the 12 volts to hardwire it to. Does anyone know of a 12 volt power source near the back that I can hardwire the radar detector to? Obviously I'd want it to be a power source that is only hot when the key is turned on. I'm using the cigarette lighter adapter, so the drop to 5 volts will be handled there, but not sure where to grab the 12 volts from. It's for the G in my signature.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jestered; 03-27-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Why the rear windshield? That seems like a very odd location, just curious what your reasoning is. Most people go with the front windshield...

But moving on from that, lol, if you pull up the carpet and side panel of the trunk on the driver side you'll see the Bose amp (if equipped with Bose, hopefully it is) and it'll have some plugs you can hit with a meter to find switched power. I don't know what's in that location if you don't have Bose, but there should be something back there you can hit power from. Then it's just a matter of running extended wires to your radar detector.

Another option would be to drop the headliner and tap the power out of the map lights or sunroof but the headliner's not fun to play with if you don't have to.

You can figure something out from the trunk easily enough I would think. Still curious about the rear windshield mounting though...

Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
just be aware if you put the radar detector in the back...your chance to detect laser is greatly reduced. Since most cops tag the front of your car with laser rather then the rear. I dont know if they use a lot of laser in TX, but there starting to use it a lot more in CA.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Leksikon
Why the rear windshield? That seems like a very odd location, just curious what your reasoning is. Most people go with the front windshield...

But moving on from that, lol, if you pull up the carpet and side panel of the trunk on the driver side you'll see the Bose amp (if equipped with Bose, hopefully it is) and it'll have some plugs you can hit with a meter to find switched power. I don't know what's in that location if you don't have Bose, but there should be something back there you can hit power from. Then it's just a matter of running extended wires to your radar detector.

Another option would be to drop the headliner and tap the power out of the map lights or sunroof but the headliner's not fun to play with if you don't have to.

You can figure something out from the trunk easily enough I would think. Still curious about the rear windshield mounting though...
Currently I have it on the front windshield just to the left of the rearview mirror. Maybe I'm not used to something being there... I don't know, but I don't like it. I have the iRadar 200, so all the info I need from the detector is on my iPhone, so I don't even need to see the detector. Also, I never EVER listen to the radio. I always stream over bluetooth my music on my phone to my radio and also have the hands-free kit over bluetooth for my phone calls. Being that my detector is connected to my phone over bluetooth, I get all the audible alerts from the detector playing over my radio, so I don't even need the detector up front to hear it. I was thinking of putting it in the back so it's out of the way and out of sight.

I do have a Bose set up in the G and I've seen that amp back there in the trunk before. I'll probably try to tie in there I guess. That actually would probably be the easiest place to get it while being able to easily hide the wires also.

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
just be aware if you put the radar detector in the back...your chance to detect laser is greatly reduced. Since most cops tag the front of your car with laser rather then the rear. I dont know if they use a lot of laser in TX, but there starting to use it a lot more in CA.
I've thought about that and want to test it out back there to see if there is a noticeable drop in detection. Also, I'm not really a "speeder". The detector is a 360 degree detector, so I'm hoping it will be able to alert from the front, but really I need it to let me know when they're behind me. As I said, I'm not really a "speeder" so the PoPo being up ahead doesn't really bother me, but I'd really like to know if they're sitting back there riding behind me.

For the most part though, I simply want it out of sight since my iPhone shows me the data from the detector and the phone also pushes the audible alerts out through my radio.

Last edited by Jestered; 03-28-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
for laser you will. Laser is directional, where as radar is omni directional, so the placement doesn't matter as much.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
for laser you will. Laser is directional, where as radar is omni directional, so the placement doesn't matter as much.
I hardwired it and the detector is sitting right in front of the third brake light. I figure I'll test it out that way for a while and see how it works. Although there is some laser here in Austin, it's mostly k and ka band. The more I read about laser, the more it sounds like it's almost worthless. The general consensus with laser is that once the detector alerts you that it's picking up laser, it's already too late and they got you. I don't know if I totally agree with that, but like I said, I'm not really a speeder anyway.