G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is this rip off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this rip off?

My car started giving me problems. It would turn off on me while driving, check engine light turned on and i took it to the shop and this guy advised that it's giving 2 codes.

Cam Position Sensor and Knock Sensor .... he wants $500.-

What do you guys think of that?

He's replacing both camshaft sensors.... or so he says.... because it wouldn't make sense to just do 1since the other one could go bad too.

I did some research on the cost of the parts and $500 parts and labor seems a bit too much... this guy won't lower it....

Has anybody else done this to their cars? how much did u guys paid for it?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Any input is appreciated

Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Helll nooooo he is smoking crack 1 hr tops to change them prob 150 for both sensors at autozone. There are real good diy on youtube

Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
If you can't do the work yourself, then yeah. You should pay that. I don't know where you live, but most shops in my area are between $70-$90/hr labor rate. Doing all 3 sensors is probably a 2.5-3hr job, so you're looking at anywhere between $175-$270 in labor alone. I have no idea how much parts are or how much time the job actually pays, but just based on that rough estimation and the fact that every part for our car is ALL THE MONEY, $500 seems fair. Get'r'dun. Other option is to grow a beard, strap on a pair of loose fit Levi's and a solid flanel or rock inspired t-shirt with the sleeves cut off, and drive with the check engine light on like a man.

The following users liked this post:
thepro78 (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
i recommend oem sensors. changing both cam sensors idk wat the best practice is but id jus do one at a time. some will say do both. the codes will read out for the specific sensor anyway. i changed my passenger side over 2 years ago. the driver side hasnt faulted yet and mines an 03. so up to u. i was gonna do both sides same time too but was being cheap lol

The following users liked this post:
thepro78 (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by driftsucky
If you can't do the work yourself, then yeah. You should pay that. I don't know where you live, but most shops in my area are between $70-$90/hr labor rate. Doing all 3 sensors is probably a 2.5-3hr job, so you're looking at anywhere between $175-$270 in labor alone. I have no idea how much parts are or how much time the job actually pays, but just based on that rough estimation and the fact that every part for our car is ALL THE MONEY, $500 seems fair. Get'r'dun. Other option is to grow a beard, strap on a pair of loose fit Levi's and a solid flanel or rock inspired t-shirt with the sleeves cut off, and drive with the check engine light on like a man.
As i was reading through it I was expecting the DIY comment at the end...lol Made me laugh...

I actually installed the spacer myself and my car would;t start because i forgot to connect the freaking Sensor that goes in the Throttle body... and I was freaking out when it wouldn't start and I thought i had messed it up... lol However figured it out and plugged it in.... I dint like that feeling.... But i know our cars are expensive but $500.... seems a bit too much... I did called around a few shops.. and the prices are actually higher...

Old 07-17-2013, 08:04 PM
well u gotta kinda go by the market price in ur area and pick the best one. no sense in gathering prices for a shop in cali vs a shop in nebraska. .maybe u can buy the parts online and just have them charge labor. might save a few $$ that way. but use oem sensors theyre better

Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No need to replace both sensors under the assumption that well the other one can go bad too, yea so can any other part on your car. In this particular case if its not broke don't fix it, considering the price of the sensor. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Just replace the sensors that need replacing. Theres no need to replace both on the basis of "while you're in there". Its not one of those types of jobs. Shop around for the best price on OEM sensors and do them yourself. Its really not that bad. Plus you get to feel like a boss when its fixed and the CEL doesnt come back on.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Did you get the estimate from the Infiniti stealership? First mistake! If you can't find an independent Nissan shop get a estimate from Nissan, they're normally 30% less than Infiniti. With SLICK, I'd replace both sensors....cheap insurance!
Gary

Old 07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Yes, Nissan Stealership charged $900 for both sensors.... according to them the labor needed to be charged separately, labor for knock, and each cam sensor... what a freaking joke....

Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 PM
So I got this fixed on Monday. Added a complete tune up for another $100.00 yes i could've done it myself but was already there and I haven't had time to do it myself... (just lazy) ...

Monday night I drive the car and feels good!!! check engine light comes on and took it back to the shop. The guy scans it and same knock Sensor giving problems.... and also another code for High Revs... does feel a lil rev'ed up.... specially when downshifting.....

Asked me to take it back to the shop today.... an he claims that could be the Knock sensor wiring.... and he can't find it at any autoparts..... guy is just buying time.... but is a trusted guy so I wont beat him up....

Now he's telling me that could be the computer too.... I know he's just trying to wash his hands and say it's something else.... I won't let him get away with this.... specially since I paid $500.-

My question is, Did anybody encounter this issue after replacing the sensor? Do we need to change the wiring for the knock sensor too?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...+sensor+issues

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...+sensor+issues

You wouldn't be the first person to have an issue with the wiring so it's possible that's a cause of your issues.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 PM
he used oem parts?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Did you get the estimate from the Infiniti stealership? First mistake! If you can't find an independent Nissan shop get a estimate from Nissan, they're normally 30% less than Infiniti. With SLICK, I'd replace both sensors....cheap insurance!
Gary
Because referring to your car in blue italic fonts is not creepy at all, especially with a name like slick. Bet you like keeping her lubed up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this rip off?