G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Engine Overheating but not the radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Like I asked, how do u even know the car is overheating??. I bet u have a crank sensor problem

Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SUMBLAKDUDE
are both fans running? i had similar problem and only one of the radiator fans was working one needed a new motor. Just bought an entire assembly and replaced and problem solved.
think I've found the problem. one of my radiator fans goes on and off. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, which is why i didn't notice before. Gave it a tap and it started right up.
Does it need to be replaced or just cleaned?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnGtr
think I've found the problem. one of my radiator fans goes on and off. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, which is why i didn't notice before. Gave it a tap and it started right up.
This is a common problem on '04 to '07 G35's. There was an extended warranty thing that they offered to cover this on certain cars from those years which were prone to having the problem, but your car is now beyond that warranty's 96 month limit.

You may have the cooling fan issue, but I wouldn't be so certain that this is the sole problem though. Almost everyone who has had the cooling fan problem has also had issues with their car actually overheating.... meaning that the thermostat indicates abnormally high coolant temperatures as well as radiator boiling over and lots of gurgling coming from the radiator area, and possibly the car going into limp mode. Also, your car should not have this issue if you are moving at any kind of decent speed, as the fans are not needed to cool the radiator if you have sufficient airflow coming in the front of the engine bay as would be the case if you were cruising at over 50 MPH or so. I still think you have some sort of electrical problem such as a bad ground or dying/dead cam/crank sensors.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
This is a common problem on '04 to '07 G35's. There was an extended warranty thing that they offered to cover this on certain cars from those years which were prone to having the problem, but your car is now beyond that warranty's 96 month limit.

You may have the cooling fan issue, but I wouldn't be so certain that this is the sole problem though. Almost everyone who has had the cooling fan problem has also had issues with their car actually overheating.... meaning that the thermostat indicates abnormally high coolant temperatures as well as radiator boiling over and lots of gurgling coming from the radiator area, and possibly the car going into limp mode. Also, your car should not have this issue if you are moving at any kind of decent speed, as the fans are not needed to cool the radiator if you have sufficient airflow coming in the front of the engine bay as would be the case if you were cruising at over 50 MPH or so. I still think you have some sort of electrical problem such as a bad ground or dying/dead cam/crank sensors.

Ok will switch out the camshaft position sensor as well. Just in case

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Ok will switch out the camshaft position sensor as well. Just in case
Is your car throwing any Check Engine lights/codes? You definitely don't want to just throw parts at it in hopes of it fixing the issue. That can get expensive real fast!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 AM
+1 but between the cam/crank sensor going bad, one of them doesn't show a code. Don't remember which.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Each fan is supposed to run at the same speed, if one is working at a different speed than the other one, then there is definitely something wrong with one of the fan motors, which would cause overheating in stop and go traffic.

You could try taking the fan motor out and cleaning it. If you take it to Infiniti, they will replace the shroud and both motors for around $700, but you can get the entire OEM cooling fan assembly for around $400, just one cooling fan motor is about $150, if you feel like installing it yourself.

But, like some others have already said, it doesn't sound like the cooling fan is your only problem here.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Your issue has nothing to do with your cooling system since your gauge reads normal! The outside temp readings on your dash are frequently incorrect, ignore it! Does your car throw an error code or warning on your dash? Your problem is ignition or something in the wiring that overheats, have Nissan check it out for you....Gary

Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If the fan was the issue, your car would heat up and from what you posted your gauge never goes above half way....right?? Our cars do not shut off because you can bang on the fan to make it come on....you have other problems!
Gary

Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
and as far as the ambient temp reading in the dash goes, that sensor is in front of the radiator as far as i know..... so if that is reading 112(whens its 80) and your coolant temp is reading normal, then either your ambient sensor or your coolant temp sensor is broken.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Well fixed the fan and replaced the hoses to the radiator and every thing is fine now. No more cut offs.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
glad to hear you fixed it..sometimes its the simple cheap things that cause the biggest headaches

Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 PM
I've got a dead driver's side fan motor. My repair manual says I need to drain the radiator and remove the upper hose and then remove the fan assembly (i.e., both fans, motors and bracket.) I was just wondering if it is really necessary to drain radiator and remove the upper hose? Also, does anybody have any DIY tips, etc. thanks

Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM
No luck guys. Car still over heats and recently noticed smoke coming from the right rear of the engine. ?????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Overheating but not the radiator