G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Did I just make a huge mistake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I just make a huge mistake?

Just bought a 06 G35 automatic with 88k miles. It was meticulously clean, owned by an older couple. Well, didn't do my homework on maintenance, especially the transmission intervals (30k). The G also had an extended warranty. But to my surmise, Infiniti won't transfer the warranty because..are you ready for it..HE NEVER HAD THE TRANSMISSION SERVICED!

Now, do I need to get my G35 in asap for at least the trans service? And do I do a flush (sorry, I know the flush topic has been beaten to death). I just have so much on my plate, don't have time to research meticulously.

I'm really upset with the purchase, one of those deals that I'm already regretting.

Thanks all.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't see much reason to worry unless it's shifting weird or making noises. Just do it at your earliest convenience. No use beating yourself up over something you cannot control. .02

Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
I'm at 96k and never did anything with my transmission yet.. Everything shifts as it should, I plan on replacing every fluid by 100k.. Just do a drain and fill, drop the pan and clean any metal shavings you see..

Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankieg35
I'm at 96k and never did anything with my transmission yet.. Everything shifts as it should, I plan on replacing every fluid by 100k.. Just do a drain and fill, drop the pan and clean any metal shavings you see..
Yeah I did mine when I bought mine at 84k and didn't have hardly any shavings and it was my car's first one.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Just because their computer doesn't say the car has been serviced, doesn't mean it hasn't been.

When my car was new and in for a minor warranty repair, i actually got a lecture about how I was overdue for AWD service, belts, cabin air filter, transmission service, you name it....all stuff that I had done myself in my garage when the time came due. I remember the service writer giving me a smug look and comment about making sure it was done correctly. Apparently doing your own work and not paying $400 for an overpriced fluid change is frowned upon. I had other issue with that dealership that really left a bad taste in my mouth. Was happy when the warranty period ended.

Honestly, just do a drain/fill with ~ 4 quarts of fluid, and then do another in 20K miles. Auto Transmission issues on these cars are not somethat that's frequently discussed. These transmissions are pretty reliable and 88K miles really isn't all that much.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Never serviced at the stealership maybe. I'd do a drain and refill with Nissan S-Matic soon and don't forget to clean the metal shavings off of the drain plug.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Just drain 3-5 quarts (just open the drain plug up), refill, carry on.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Was your G really owned by an old couple or is this a story your salesman gave you? If you bought your G from a private party ask them where the trans was serviced. If the radiator/differential/filters etc. were serviced I can't imagine the trans was ignored. Anyway, do a drain/fill ASAP and again a few oil changes down the road using only Nissan's recommended fluid.
Gary

Old 11-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
You're fine. I know people who never changed the transmission fluid during the whole life of their vehicle. Although I did mine every 30k, I felt it was premature.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Just do a drain and fill. A flush could cause issues!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
How is that low mileage for an 06? I have an 03 with 8k more on it. lol

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanywho, you made a huge mistake. You bought an automatic. Unless you have a little arm and you can't shift...then it'd be ok. That aside, the dealership shouldn't have transferred the warranty. A warranty assumes some responsibility of maintenance. If that isn't done, they're setting themselves up for failure. Just like if you drove for 35k and never changed the oil, and asked for a free motor.

If your transmission was totally effed, you would PROBABLY notice. If you're not familiar with how to do a transmission flush, you might want to have a mechanic/technician YOU TRUST eyeball things in there while changing your fluids. Everybody says DIY but if you've never done it, a few things could go wrong. If you're mechanically inclined...well...if you were, this post wouldn't be here, so I'd just suggest you pony up a few extra dollars for piece of mind and have a shop do this for you. At least then, you'll know it's done correctly and perhaps someone can poke around in the tranny just to get a read on what's going on in there if anything.