G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 coupe auto transmission light flashing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The valve body is not really inside the transmission. Although fully integrated into the function of the transmission. It is mounted under the transmission case. It can be removed without removing the transmission. In the drawing it is part number 2.

Attached Thumbnails G35 coupe auto transmission light flashing-g35-transmission-copy.jpg  

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 04-01-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A lot of times used transmissions don't come with the valve body or TC, so make sure it's included. Those codes you threw are for solenoids and it's basically the only part of a VB that can fail since they're opening and closing all the time. I recently had to pull a Stillen VB out of my car because a different solenoid failed. Fortunately, I still had my original to swap back. VB's aren't that easy to come by surprisingly, so if you can get the tranny for $650 shipped and it has the VB, do it. Just make sure that you get the right one. You're an '05 so the TCM is integrated, but there are still a couple of options. If you get the tranny from a Z, those use a different solenoid on one part and it's only compatible with '06 and up Infiniti. And some have a different port for the transmission cooler or something. I had to look up a ton of diagrams to see the differences.

The replacement is easy, just messy. Drop the pan, undo the 12 or so bolts holding the VB in, unclip the wires and it drops back out. Hardest part for me was aligning it to reinstall since you have to get the shift selector lined up and the VB is heavy when you're under the car. So if you have a friend, get him to help.

Originally Posted by 05G35CP
im in lancaster. So basically right down the turnpike from you ~50 miles. Im going to call the dealer today and get a price on the valve body. I can get a trans for $650 shipped with 60k miles on it and install it myself. So im trying to go the best route. I wonder what causes these valve bodies to go. And yes. It is inside the trans.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkuo
a lot of times used transmissions don't come with the valve body or tc, so make sure it's included. Those codes you threw are for solenoids and it's basically the only part of a vb that can fail since they're opening and closing all the time. I recently had to pull a stillen vb out of my car because a different solenoid failed. Fortunately, i still had my original to swap back. Vb's aren't that easy to come by surprisingly, so if you can get the tranny for $650 shipped and it has the vb, do it. Just make sure that you get the right one. You're an '05 so the tcm is integrated, but there are still a couple of options. If you get the tranny from a z, those use a different solenoid on one part and it's only compatible with '06 and up infiniti. And some have a different port for the transmission cooler or something. I had to look up a ton of diagrams to see the differences.

The replacement is easy, just messy. Drop the pan, undo the 12 or so bolts holding the vb in, unclip the wires and it drops back out. Hardest part for me was aligning it to reinstall since you have to get the shift selector lined up and the vb is heavy when you're under the car. So if you have a friend, get him to help.
thats another question i had that you answered. The tcm is inside the trans on my g. I will do some more research and see which was i want to go. But basically a 2006 rwd sedan is what i have access to for a trans shipped for 650. Should this be a direct fit into my 05 cp? Thanks alot for your time and to everyone for their time and opinions

Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM
I looked through my archived pages during my search and here's the difference. Up until August 2005, Infiniti's used a low resistance "low coast solenoid". After that, they switched to a high resistance "low coast solenoid". Nissan's always used the high resistance version. So 2006 and newer Infiniti's are interchangeable with Nissan, but 2005 may not be compatible with 2006 Infiniti's. So I don't know if the '06 tranny would work for you. It probably would since the TCM is integrated and you'd be swapping that out. I ran an '06 350Z VB on my '07 FX and it worked, but both those are the high resistance version. It will bolt up and plug in, but I don't know if there would be weird shifting issues or anything.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:34 PM
i looked through my archived pages during my search and here's the difference. Up until august 2005, infiniti's used a low resistance "low coast solenoid". After that, they switched to a high resistance "low coast solenoid". Nissan's always used the high resistance version. So 2006 and newer infiniti's are interchangeable with nissan, but 2005 may not be compatible with 2006 infiniti's. So i don't know if the '06 tranny would work for you. It probably would since the tcm is integrated and you'd be swapping that out. I ran an '06 350z vb on my '07 fx and it worked, but both those are the high resistance version. It will bolt up and plug in, but i don't know if there would be weird shifting issues or anything.
i just got off the phone with the local infiniti dealer. I gave them a vin to a 2005 and 2006 g35 rwd sedan. And then i gave them my vin number. Bot 2005 and 2006 rwd sedan trans will not work with my 2005 cp. They said trans part #'s are dif. I guess the best bet would be to stick with a 2005 cp trans? What else would be a direct bolt up? 06 350z?

Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Maybe get the part number from the transmission itself? The dealer will likely say that anything not from the exact same car won't work. But I don't see how the sedan vs. coupe transmission would be different. Only difference would be between AWD and RWD. For that, it's just a minor difference in the output shaft. The VB's between AWD and RWD are the same for the same year/years. My FX is AWD, but I used a 350Z VB in it.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:12 PM
I called two different dealers and they both said the same thing. The trans assy. Part numbers are differnt from a 05 rwd 4 dr and a 05 rwd 2dr cp. They said one would not work with another because of different shift points and internals. But i was thinking to myself the tcm is internal can't it be reset to the vin after install? Love the fx's btw. Thinking about selling this once a new trans goes in and getting one.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM
That's just weird; a few FX's have swapped in G35 transmissions because they're cheaper and easier to find. I don't see why there would be any difference between coupe and 4 dr. None of the autos ever got the rev up motor, so that shouldn't matter either. I never had the TCM reset from the 350Z valve body I got. I read various things some which said it had to be reprogrammed, others which said it did not. I didn't touch it and the 350Z TCM worked just fine in my FX, same shift points, same behavior, no codes.

I would just hunt for a valve body if possible. No need to deal with entire transmission replacement if it's not necessary.

I called two different dealers and they both said the same thing. The trans assy. Part numbers are differnt from a 05 rwd 4 dr and a 05 rwd 2dr cp. They said one would not work with another because of different shift points and internals. But i was thinking to myself the tcm is internal can't it be reset to the vin after install? Love the fx's btw. Thinking about selling this once a new trans goes in and getting one.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 AM
That's just weird; a few FX's have swapped in G35 transmissions because they're cheaper and easier to find. I don't see why there would be any difference between coupe and 4 dr. None of the autos ever got the rev up motor, so that shouldn't matter either. I never had the TCM reset from the 350Z valve body I got. I read various things some which said it had to be reprogrammed, others which said it did not. I didn't touch it and the 350Z TCM worked just fine in my FX, same shift points, same behavior, no codes.

I would just hunt for a valve body if possible. No need to deal with entire transmission replacement if it's not necessary.
I ATTEMPTED TO GO THAT ROUTE BUT THE VALVE BODY ITSELF IS $1,676.92 AND THAT IS THE BODY ITSELF. DOESNT INCLUDE FLUID AND PAN GASKET ETC. AND I AGREE WITH YOU WITH DIF. MODEL TRANS BEING SWAPPED INTO THE CARS. I DID COME ACROSS A 05 CP AUTO TRANS WITH 80K ON IT. SO I MAY JUST PICK THAT UP. THE DEALER SAID THE TRANS PARTS NUMBERS ARE THE SAME

Old 04-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeysm
I think the valve body is inside. There was a great DIY here written about installing a valva body upgrade. Maybe you can you look at that to help with your next decision? I think it's transgo valve.body you want to search for.

What part of PA you in? I live out in West Chester and have a Consult 3 tool same thing the dealer uses.
I am in the same situation, 2008 g37, code p1757, it need a valve body, I was wondering if I install a used working valve body of the same year and model, do I need use consult III to flash the TCM? if I don't have a consult III? and put in a used working valve body of the same year and model, what will happen? will the ECU be able to talk to the TCM? will I be able to drive the car after that

thanks

Old 04-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by g37owner2008
i am in the same situation, 2008 g37, code p1757, it need a valve body, i was wondering if i install a used working valve body of the same year and model, do i need use consult iii to flash the tcm? If i don't have a consult iii? And put in a used working valve body of the same year and model, what will happen? Will the ecu be able to talk to the tcm? Will i be able to drive the car after that

thanks
im buying a used trans from a wrecked 05 g35cp this weekend. I will be pulling the valve body out of it and installing it into mine. From my research its a plug and play. Once installed ill reset the monitors and it will be good to go. EVERY YEAR DOES VARY THOUGH. SO MAKE SURE YOU CALL THE DEALER AND CONFIRM WITH VIN NUMBER THE PART YOU ARE GETTING WILL WORK WITH YOURS. A 2004 WOULD NOT WORK WITH MY CAR NOR A 2006. SO IT HAS TO BE THE SAME EXACT.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im buying a used trans from a wrecked 05 g35cp this weekend. I will be pulling the valve body out of it and installing it into mine. From my research its a plug and play. Once installed ill reset the monitors and it will be good to go. EVERY YEAR DOES VARY THOUGH. SO MAKE SURE YOU CALL THE DEALER AND CONFIRM WITH VIN NUMBER THE PART YOU ARE GETTING WILL WORK WITH YOURS. A 2004 WOULD NOT WORK WITH MY CAR NOR A 2006. SO IT HAS TO BE THE SAME EXACT.
thanks for your reply, I still have 2 questions, would you answer me?
how to reset the monitor?
which dealer you get this information from? the infiniti dealer I called, they said it will have liability issue, they will not provide any answers.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:11 PM
thanks for your reply, i still have 2 questions, would you answer me?
How to reset the monitor?
Which dealer you get this information from? The infiniti dealer i called, they said it will have liability issue, they will not provide any answers.
sure thing. 1st, i called the closest dealer to me. But honestly. You can look up any infiniti dealer in your state. Get the vin number of the vehicle to which you are pulling the part out of. And give them your vin number. After they have those two vins. Ask them if the part number for the valve body is the same part number.... 2nd to reset the monitors go get yourself a pocket scanner or use the loan a tool service from auto zone or advance auto. After you make the repair, before you start the car, turn the key to accessories so the radio etc comes on ( do not start the car) hook up the scanner to the obd port and collect the codes. Erase the codes. All the monitors will be reset in the system. Unplug and then start the car up . After repair baby the car for the first 10-15 miles to work all air out of the body etc.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Unless they changed something in the '08, it should be plug and play. I used an '06 350Z VB in my '07 FX, then swapped back to stock and never reflashed anything. Transmission logic worked perfectly w/ the 350Z VB.

I am in the same situation, 2008 g37, code p1757, it need a valve body, I was wondering if I install a used working valve body of the same year and model, do I need use consult III to flash the TCM? if I don't have a consult III? and put in a used working valve body of the same year and model, what will happen? will the ECU be able to talk to the TCM? will I be able to drive the car after that

thanks

Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 PM
I think in your situation, you got unlucky and are right between changes in the VB. 04.5 they went to integrated TCM and in '06 they changed one of the solenoids.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 coupe auto transmission light flashing