G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Transmission/Engine/Differential Fluids Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission/Engine/Differential Fluids Help!!!!

So let me start of by saying i am new to infiniti cars. I just bought a 04 G35 with 114k miles like two weeks ago. I am planning to change spark plugs, engine oil/filter, tranny oil, differential oil, and air filter. Im not sure if the previous owner has done any of that (forgot to ask). But anyways i knew these cars were going to be a little expensive to maintain. I havent asked in the dealer how much all this stuff cost but im sure they really let you have it in your butt. I have been reading around here and im scared to do my tranny oil change, can't i just grab some good brand oil that doesn't have to be matic j or s and let the old fluid drain out and just add the quarts that are required? I keep reading that you have to buy like 12 quarts and run 100 miles and then drain again then refill it... And so on so then why add expensive oil if its going to be drained out in 100 miles? So here are my questions

1. How many quarts of engine oil do i need? What brand do you guys recommend?

2. How many quarts of oil do i need for my automatic transmission? What brand.

3. Same thing for differential how much and whats recommended by you guys?

Thanks for any help. I didn't know infiniti cars were going to be very “sensitive”. Ps... I used to drive honda lol

Old 03-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
1. 5 quarts of engine oil. I use Mobil 1.

2. Depends how you'll service the car. If you do the flush while it's running you need about 12. I usually drain the pan into a container with measurements. Then put back in the same amount. Do it a few times every 50-100 miles uses about 9-12 quarts. Use ONLY matic j or compatible it's the additives that can cause problems; I used idemitsu type j. Change it when the fluid is cold also. When you do the drain refill only 3-4 quarts come out at a time. You do it in small intervals to mix the fluids together and get most of the old fluid out.

3. I used slightly under 2,quarts of Mobil 75w-90. Loosen the top drain plug first, second drain plug, and a device to pump fluid back in.

Last edited by coffeysm; 03-14-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Pretty much what he said.

1.) 5 quarts and a filter. I use conventional Castrol GTX for my own reasons. Any good quality oil will work as long as it's not "Bob's discount recycled oil"

2.) I buy my Matic S off ebay. There are vendors that sell it near wholesale. If you buy 6-8 quarts at a time, the shipping gets spread out and your cost per bottle is pretty cheap. Less than going to dealer. I do drain/fills, and have done 4 total so far in the 140K miles i've driven my car. Each time, i've used 4 quarts.

3.) Mobil 75W-90. Buy 2 quarts. Its expensive (around $20/qt), but you should be able to get 100K miles out of it. Prob will be the only time you change this fluid really unless you keep the car for a while. I did this at 50K miles in my car, prob will redo it around 150K for peace of mind.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 03-14-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
1. 5 quarts of engine oil. I use Mobil 1.

2. Depends how you'll service the car. If you do the flush while it's running you need about 12. I usually drain the pan into a container with measurements. Then put back in the same amount. Do it a few times every 50-100 miles uses about 9-12 quarts. Use ONLY matic j or compatible it's the additives that can cause problems; I used idemitsu type j. Change it when the fluid is cold also. When you do the drain refill only 3-4 quarts come out at a time. You do it in small intervals to mix the fluids together and get most of the old fluid out.

3. I used slightly under 2,quarts of Mobil 75w-90. Loosen the top drain plug first, second drain plug, and a device to pump fluid back in.
So adding other tranny fluid that isnt oem will be guaranteed to mess up the tranny? Thats very hard to believe but i guess ill have to buy oem fluid for the tranny.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by PearlPereZ
So adding other tranny fluid that isn't oem will be guaranteed to mess up the tranny? Thats very hard to believe but i guess ill have to buy oem fluid for the tranny.
I'll begin by answering your first question, Mobil1 5/W30 is a good synthetic oil but just as important is a quality filter I suggest WIX or K&N. You can pickup Mobil1 at WallMart or Costco at a reasonable price. AT trans fluid, from what I've discovered even oil manufactures suggest you use Nissan OE AT trans fluid. Differential fluid, I use AMSOIL synthetic which will run cooler and not break down. Since you've gone this far you may as well replace the radiator fluid too and check hoses!
Gary

Old 03-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Pretty much what he said.

1.) 5 quarts and a filter. I use conventional Castrol GTX for my own reasons. Any good quality oil will work as long as it's not "Bob's discount recycled oil"

2.) I buy my Matic S off ebay. There are vendors that sell it near wholesale. If you buy 6-8 quarts at a time, the shipping gets spread out and your cost per bottle is pretty cheap. Less than going to dealer. I do drain/fills, and have done 4 total so far in the 140K miles i've driven my car. Each time, i've used 4 quarts.

3.) Mobil 75W-90. Buy 2 quarts. Its expensive (around $20/qt), but you should be able to get 100K miles out of it. Prob will be the only time you change this fluid really unless you keep the car for a while. I did this at 50K miles in my car, prob will redo it around 150K for peace of mind.
How can I tell if my tranmission fluid is bad? My car is shifting properly the fluid doesnt really looked burnt, but i always like to do a small tune up after i buy a car

Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
I'll begin by answering your first question, Mobil1 5/W30 is a good synthetic oil but just as important is a quality filter I suggest WIX or K&N. You can pickup Mobil1 at WallMart or Costco at a reasonable price. AT trans fluid, from what I've discovered even oil manufactures suggest you use Nissan OE AT trans fluid. Differential fluid, I use AMSOIL synthetic which will run cooler and not break down. Since you've gone this far you may as well replace the radiator fluid too and check hoses!
Gary
Yeah it seems like if the car was serviced not too long ago looks like if it has a lot of new parts all the belts and hoes and some of the pulleys they have like a yellow small dot mark on them and on the windshield it has that service sticker it shows it was serviced 3k miles ago for engine because it shows grade 5-30. Whats the chances of the tranny being serviced?

Last edited by PearlPereZ; 03-14-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Anything else you guys would like to inform me about i would appreciate it.

Just some quick info. About me

I busted my butt off all year to buy
this sexy beast that i have and i plan on keeping it for a while. I used to own a 92 & 02 civic but i really wanted a g35 coupe Sooooooooooooo bad and i had to buy one i never thought id own one at the age of 19. i bought the car cash it was kind of hard seeing all thoes Benjamins going away from my hand but i dont regret it at all. In the dealer they go for like 15k too much ;( i am very happy with my car.

Last edited by PearlPereZ; 03-14-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Yeah it seems like if the car was serviced not too long ago looks like if it has a lot of new parts all the belts and hoes and some of the pulleys they have like a yellow small dot mark on them and on the windshield it has that service sticker it shows it was serviced 3k miles ago for engine because it shows grade 5-30. Whats the chances of the tranny being serviced?
The important part is, "What's the condition of the fluid!" You can pop the hood loosen the nut and check the fluids color, should be red. If you find it's dark have a drain/fill done making sure they only use Nissan AT fluid, nothing else will work as well! Glad you like the G, makes it easier to spend all the $$!
Gary

Old 03-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
The important part is, "What's the condition of the fluid!" You can pop the hood loosen the nut and check the fluids color, should be red. If you find it's dark have a drain/fill done making sure they only use Nissan AT fluid, nothing else will work as well! Glad you like the G, makes it easier to spend all the $$!
Gary
I just checked it, its at the level it should be. Im not sure if the owner ever took it to infiniti dealer or maybe just took it to some mechanic but the color is kind of like a gold, light gold not very dark. I'm aware that matic j was discontinued but is matic j and s red color?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
If your AT fluid is gold, your'e gonna have a bad time.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by BAAG35
If your AT fluid is gold, your'e gonna have a bad time.
Maybe? I have 3 weeks with the car already and the transmission shifts great even on triptronic mode. I think something would have happened by now but who knows i guess ill just buy matic s in the future

Old 03-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So let me start of by saying i am new to infiniti cars. I just bought a 04 G35 with 114k miles like two weeks ago. I am planning to change spark plugs, engine oil/filter, tranny oil, differential oil, and air filter. Im not sure if the previous owner has done any of that (forgot to ask). But anyways i knew these cars were going to be a little expensive to maintain. I havent asked in the dealer how much all this stuff cost but im sure they really let you have it in your butt. I have been reading around here and im scared to do my tranny oil change, can't i just grab some good brand oil that doesn't have to be matic j or s and let the old fluid drain out and just add the quarts that are required? I keep reading that you have to buy like 12 quarts and run 100 miles and then drain again then refill it... And so on so then why add expensive oil if its going to be drained out in 100 miles? So here are my questions

1. How many quarts of engine oil do i need? What brand do you guys recommend?

2. How many quarts of oil do i need for my automatic transmission? What brand.

3. Same thing for differential how much and whats recommended by you guys?

Thanks for any help. I didn't know infiniti cars were going to be very “sensitive”. Ps... I used to drive honda lol

1. I use 5qts mobil 1 high performance 5w30 full synthetic oil
2. 6 qts of matic s transmission fluid. (this is just a drain/refill)
3. I use 80w90 Valvoline GL-5 Limited Slip oil