G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2005 6MT tranmission problem, help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 6MT tranmission problem, help!

So I was driving tonite and this happened before but like once or twice nothing i was annoyed with, but i just came back from a drive and OMG every time i shift from 1st to 2nd, it grinds. not really a grind but it feels more like i hit a little bump before i complete the shift. its very very annoying and happens every time. if i shift fast i have to use a little bit of force to shift, but if i shift super slow then its fine, i still feel it but no where as close to when i shift normally. Has this happened to any other guys with the 05's? i know there were tranmission issues int he 03's and 04's but damn why me! now i have to wait till this weekend so i can go to a dealer, closest dealer is 75+ miles away from me. so not happy tonite, feel so annoyed. I only have 650 miles on my car and never went over 4k rpm yet. i know what a grind feels like, this seems more like something blocking the shift gate.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Hmm, sounds like a synchro/cold fluid thing from your description. I'm a former Dodge Stealth RT/TT owner - can I give you a tale about synchros and funky shifting...

You're in Indiana, what temperature was it when you were driving? The thickness of the fluid when it's cold (ambient temp, and therefore the fluid itself) affects shift quality. My Stealth's 1st 1-2 shift was just like you're describing but would improve as the car warmed up. Does shift quality improve once it warms up?

It doesn't grind now, but if you rev it up in 1st and shift to 2nd 'with authority' it likely will. Not advisable in any case. Rev-matching your shifts will likely eliminate the problem, but you shouldn't have to... An improperly adjusted clutch will cause shift problems like this as well, but I can't imagine a 'brand new' car wouldn't be adjusted correctly?!?!

Sorry I can't really give you any help, other than maybe with the conversation at the dealer. I'm looking at an '05 6MT as a natural replacement from my beloved Stealth, but this is giving me some nasty flashbacks.

- Runner

Old 02-13-2005, 11:59 PM
yea it does get better after a while, but it was like 45%? when i drove. I did change the clutch engagement point, well its more of changing the place of the pedal and many people have done that before. im sure thats not the problem since i went to a nissan dealership thats around here and i talked with there head transmission guy and he said that its not gonna affect anything at all. but i think i need to drive around for more then 5 10 mins to check, stupid weather

Old 02-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Thumbs up

no problems on my '05 6MT, I've got almost 700 miles so far. Its been cold in Boston lately (20s and 30s) but I start the car in the garage which is usually about 50 degrees.

I'm quite happy with the shifter, nice shift action and quick as well.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by symalik
So I was driving tonite and this happened before but like once or twice nothing i was annoyed with, but i just came back from a drive and OMG every time i shift from 1st to 2nd, it grinds. not really a grind but it feels more like i hit a little bump before i complete the shift. its very very annoying and happens every time. if i shift fast i have to use a little bit of force to shift, but if i shift super slow then its fine, i still feel it but no where as close to when i shift normally. Has this happened to any other guys with the 05's? i know there were tranmission issues int he 03's and 04's but damn why me! now i have to wait till this weekend so i can go to a dealer, closest dealer is 75+ miles away from me. so not happy tonite, feel so annoyed. I only have 650 miles on my car and never went over 4k rpm yet. i know what a grind feels like, this seems more like something blocking the shift gate.
i m havin the same problem right now, but i figured that if i dont press the clutch too deep, just enough to let the gear in, this will not happen

Old 02-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Once in a while this happens to me too. I feel the "bump" from 1st to 2nd, as it is not smooth as other gears. However, this only happens to me when I shift at 3k or less. If I force it into gear at 3k instead of slowly putting it into gear and waiting for the "bump," it will grind.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm in toronto... have had some really cold days since the delivery of my car. yes... my shifts are also difficult on cold starts. as stated earlier... i think it's a combination between the synchros and fluid (i'm no mechanic, so i don't know for sure what is going on). other cars have the same problem. if u look at the short shifter option on the bmw 3 series ... bmw states directly that "greater shifting effort is needed on cold starts." if your shifter feels better after the car warms up... then it isn't a problem with the car imo. best thing to do is just have them check it when u bring it in on your next oil change for peace of mind.

-regards.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:12 PM
thanks for the replies guys, i think i will try drive around for a bit to make sure its warm, it just really scared me, need patience, i will also try shifting at higher rpms to see how it goes.
thanks

Old 02-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you're just shifting too fast. Our 6MT's gear ratio's are spread apart like a 5MT... take your time shifting 1-2 and make sure you depress the clutch all the way.

You'll get use to it.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Question for everyone - what is the factory fill for the G's gearbox? The Stealth's is 75w-90 gear oil, which is sludge-like @ 25^. A popular 'mod' is to swap it out for Pennzoil Synchromesh. It's GL-4 compatible IIRC (won't eat brass synchros) and while there's no long-term effects known, it was a great improvement for mine. Probably don't want to play with it while warranties are still on the G's, but it's something to keep on the back burner for future considerations.

I will end all my Stealth talk with this quote from 3si.org: "The Stealth/3000GT - making mechanics out of ordinary people since 1991"

Giddyup - I work in south Etobicoke, so we're talking about the same winter.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Block heater..

Runner and Giddyup,

Hey guys, I'm from Mississauga... you guys can use Block heater which it comes with our G. I find it very useful when I plugged in for about 2 - 3 hrs and it pretty warms up the block. When i took out of the driveway, I feel that shifting is pretty smoother than unplugged. Maybe you guys should give a try to use a Block Heater.

Wolf

Old 02-14-2005, 08:20 PM
crunchy synchros

For cold weather operation , Redline MTL would work great.
In warmer climates a 50/50 mix of MTL and MT-90 is recommended.
For Hot climates and/or tracking , MT90 works best.

I live in Nor cal and used MT90 for last 5k miles on my '04, it was a noted improvement.

Redline helps the cold synchro issues noticeably. If your concerned with warranty issues , bounce it of your dealer first and read the blurbs on the Redline site.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Runner
Question for everyone - what is the factory fill for the G's gearbox? The Stealth's is 75w-90 gear oil, which is sludge-like @ 25^. A popular 'mod' is to swap it out for Pennzoil Synchromesh. It's GL-4 compatible IIRC (won't eat brass synchros) and while there's no long-term effects known, it was a great improvement for mine. Probably don't want to play with it while warranties are still on the G's, but it's something to keep on the back burner for future considerations.

I will end all my Stealth talk with this quote from 3si.org: "The Stealth/3000GT - making mechanics out of ordinary people since 1991"

Giddyup - I work in south Etobicoke, so we're talking about the same winter.
i know what your talking about but i still own my stealth

Old 02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by aznracer
i know what your talking about but i still own my stealth
My wife bought her Mitsubishi 3000 GT new in 1991. Two weeks ago we ordered her repalcement 05 CPE 6MT. Both are red, of course.
(I get the "old" car as a consolation. )

Old 03-14-2005, 03:42 AM
That's the same feeling I have with my 03 6mt. I bought mine in December 02. I thought the 05 was supposed to have a newly designed transmission from the first batch?

I brought mine in several times and they kept saying it's nothing. I said 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd were very notchy feeling, kind of feels like grinding. Exactly how you explained it.

Don't worry though, the tranny just takes a while to break in. After 10k it'll be definetly smoother. I'm at 27k and it's like butta now. Then with the B&M short shifter w/ black nismo ball it's behond smooth and doesn't have that middle notch when shifting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT tranmission problem, help!