G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Muffler delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler delete

Wanting to do a muffler delete to my coupe if anybody has done one I would like to hear from you wondering if it is worth it and not a lot of drone when riding down the road

Old 11-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This should not be done on any car, you will have 100% rasp and tons of drone. At the very least install one of these:
2-5-ELECTRONIC-EXHAUST-CUT-OUT-VALVE-SWITCH-Y-PIPE

You can open them up when you're about to race then close them back up when you're driving. I made the mistake of doing a muffler delete when I was 19 and had my first car, it was absolutely horrible. It sounded so bad, nothing performance about it, just loud, raspy, and the entire cabin vibrated.

Here is a video of them installed and what your car would sound like with no mufflers, its bad, really bad. If you don't want to spend money on an exhaust just get some knockoff ebay one, it will sound a lot better than this.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
All you'll get with a muffler delete is a very loud noise! You'll need to spend a few $$ to get a better sound other than what your G came with...Gary

Old 11-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Noahegan5
Wanting to do a muffler delete to my coupe if anybody has done one I would like to hear from you wondering if it is worth it and not a lot of drone when riding down the road
I have it done to my 06 and I've had it like this for about a year. It sounds awesome for the 100 I spent. It's not annoying or raspy or too loud it's honestly perfect and you still have that unique infiniti sound

Old 11-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you still have the resonator? Test pipes? I don't think you can remove the muffler entirely and not get any rasp. All i have is resonated test pipes with stock resonator and stock muffler and i still get rasp. Do you have sound clips or video? I'm not calling you out i just don't understand how you can take it off and not get rasp.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by RobertGST
Do you still have the resonator? Test pipes? I don't think you can remove the muffler entirely and not get any rasp. All i have is resonated test pipes with stock resonator and stock muffler and i still get rasp. Do you have sound clips or video? I'm not calling you out i just don't understand how you can take it off and not get rasp.
Yes I can't post it but I have a video on my instagram if you want to check it out @g_susss

Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by g_suss
I have it done to my 06 and I've had it like this for about a year. It sounds awesome for the 100 I spent. It's not annoying or raspy or too loud it's honestly perfect and you still have that unique infiniti sound
anyway you could send me some pictures of the way you did it and a sound clip im really wanting to do this my # is 205-585-3664

Old 11-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What are you looking to gain from a muffler delete? It won't be performance.. And the G is a big fat pigg so the weight reduction won't make a difference. I would suggest you get a good cat back system and call it a day.. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Banned
I just had my muffler delete done and it was a waste of $80. It is very loud inside the cabin from 1500k to 2500k rpm and drones heavily. It sounds nice at idle tho. I'm not happy with it tho, I'll probably end up putting the muffler back on. I wouldn't suggest it doing it. Save your money lol. Stock 03 (at)

Old 11-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Save up for a cat-back ehaust system, well worth the investment in the short/long run.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
If you want to see what it sounds like, just unbolt and remove the muffler and go for a drive around the block. You may have to cut off your original muffler bolts with an angle grinder if they are real rusty, and replace them after with Grade 8 bolts when you go to put your exhaust back on after realizing absolutely abhor the sound of it wide open. I guarantee you it will sound so obnoxiously loud and terrible once you get over the enjoyable initial WOW factor of having such a loud car.

You will be a cop magnet too with no mufflers on your car and probably won't be able to get an inspection sticker, depending on local/state laws.

Sometimes if I'm doing exhaust work on my vehicles I'll rip around the block once or twice with a wide open exhaust during the middle stages of the repair for fun right before a lunch break, and it really is obscene how it sounds. In some cars (like big 6's or any V8+) the open exhaust is so loud that you literally can't even hold a conversation in the car with your passengers even if you are practically yelling.

The last time I did this, my neighbors were outside looking all pissed at me when I pulled back into my yard and one of them told me they thought the Batmobile or a monster truck was coming down the street or something.

Don't do it.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Do you even have a G?! Because we don't have mufflers, we have A muffler and it's not loud at all, or annoying! Don't just come on here saying **** when you don't know what you are talking about...

Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Sound aside. Removing the muffler could potentially shift the torque curve to slightly higher in the RPM range. You'll gain peak HP, but the low of low end torque (or the shift of the curve higher into the RPM range) is not exactly what you want on a street car.

In my experience with stockish cars and removing the muffler(s) and making a pass at the drag strip resulted in a slightly slower time.

Soundwise is subjective. Some people like it, some people don't. That's personal. But technically speaking, there are pros and cons to exhaust changes like this one and something to be aware of.

Then there are the legal aspects. Some states wouldn't give you a sticker for this mod, and yes, you will be a cop magnet. I've received plenty of "modified exhaust" tickets in my day. Plus, hate to sound like a dick here, but deleting the muffler seems like a mod you would do on a POS civic.

Your car, your money, your call.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 11-19-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
my 04 coupe I just purchased has the exhaust cut right before the muffler. I think it sounds very good for no muffler. im going to re weld it this week when I have time. but there is no rasp or drone. power is smooth and there when you need it. I just don't like loud exhaust. which if I am being honest is not loud at all. its just louder than stock and I want it to be as stock as I can get it for now.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Instead of paying a shop $75-100 to hack up your exhaust, why not buy a muffler for $130 AND put it on yourself AND have a nice sound that isn't ear splittingly loud?

Muffler

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Muffler delete