G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Considering G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering G35

Hi All,

I'm considering a G35 but am concerned about RWD. I've heard that it is less stable in inclement weather than FWD vehicles. Could you please post your experiences in driving the non-AWD G35 in rain or snow? I'm curious how much it's stability control program helps. Thanks a bunch!

Jung

Old 02-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jjpark
Hi All,

I'm considering a G35 but am concerned about RWD. I've heard that it is less stable in inclement weather than FWD vehicles. Could you please post your experiences in driving the non-AWD G35 in rain or snow? I'm curious how much it's stability control program helps. Thanks a bunch!

Jung

Just gotta drive carefully as you do with FWD and you won't notice any difference. You obviously can't be to inclined to take crazy turns when its wet out there.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Premier Member

RWD is fine in the rain, in fact I'd rather have 260+ hp at the rear that at the back in any condition except snow. As regards snow, put on a set of Pilot Sports A/S or a dedicated winter set-up, take it easy and your golden.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about the snow, but today I floored it in 1st gear at a roll and shifted hard into 2nd. I don't know why this happened, only been driving hard on it for less than a week, but my back end slid almost completely sideways from the shift into 2nd gear. I couldn't believe it, I almost shat myself........but it was FUN!!!.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by ChazM
Not sure about the snow, but today I floored it in 1st gear at a roll and shifted hard into 2nd. I don't know why this happened, only been driving hard on it for less than a week, but my back end slid almost completely sideways from the shift into 2nd gear. I couldn't believe it, I almost shat myself........but it was FUN!!!.

HAHAHA!!! The first time I experienced that I didn't almost shat my pants I most definitely shat my pants...lol, but once you get the hang of that its a blast...My advice, RWD is much fun...My last car was FWD and it was worse in the rain then my G is...Snow? I don't drive her in the snow, she sleeps in the garage when the white stuff falls...What an experience its been learning to understand this car and RWD, absolutely awesome...Get the car you won't regret it...And from what i've heard snow tires on the G help lots...Gluck

Old 02-20-2005, 12:23 AM
JJPARK,

dont worry about it. the only thing you should be concerned with is snow and ice. If you live in an area that isnt prone to those conditions you'll be fine.

(comming from front wheel drive experience and G is my first rear-wheel car in over 13 years or so)

at first you may be scared the car could slip out at any moment. is there less traction then my previous front wheel drive car YES ( yours and others subject to stats and opinions ). however the G35 has been engineered with a very good front to back weight ratio this will help you maintain more control. Next up is the VLSD this will help you if your not aware your tires are spinning due to poor weather conditions. both of these items may not replace the weight and control of a front wheel drive , but they will provide added control.

It's not sloppy in the rain, just becareful learning the car. there's ALOT of tq going to those wheels at low RPMs prob more so then the front wheel drive cars we're used to.

gl

ppp

Old 02-20-2005, 05:29 AM
Things wont be too much different. And with VCD on, its all good. However, I was driving in the rain once around a curve (there was a bit of dirt on the road) and I was going right at or slightly below the speed limit and as I hit about the middle of the turn, the car tried to step out. VCD got things under control without hesitation... the car kept trying to step out, but I worried little about it thanks to VCD... Also, I think it had something to do with the fact that my 20inch tires are Strictly summer tires.

But yeah, there should be no worries.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Here is my opinion.

I have an awd audi, a rwd g35c and my bro (stays with me) has fwd honda accord.

i would rate them as follows in the SNOW.
1. Audi
2. Honda
3. G35c

You have to be really careful with snow with a rwd. You will also be better of driving with dedicated snow tires. But if you can use another car in the snow or even sit it out when its snowing, you are golden. Then the g35c is the car for you, you will love it when its dry. The feel of a rwd car is really something else. You can take my word for it as I presently have all these drive versions.

However if snow is a big factor where you stay, then go for the g35X or another awd drive car. There is nothing better than an awd in the snow.