G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Hard to shift into Park and Reverse (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/449564-hard-shift-into-park-reverse.html)

Patrick Bovee 06-05-2015 09:37 AM

Hard to shift into Park and Reverse

5AT Coupe SxExCx shift knob... Ok so randomly I pulled into my driveway it was shifting fine... I went to put it into park and it got stuck on reverse I literally had to force it into park and it does not click or anything. The little red light that goes on when your in the gear is not there when I get it into reverse the light is on neutral but my car is in reverse... please help!!! BTW this just happened after a tune I got...

Patrick Bovee 06-05-2015 04:51 PM

no one has any idea what t could be>?

Mustang5L5 06-08-2015 10:27 AM

Failing shifter assembly?

I'd pull the shift knob off and manually depress the plunger and see if that makes a difference. If not, id prob venture to guess it's the shifter itself. Can you pull the shift plate off and have a peek?

Did someone take it off recently and didn't install the shifter into the selector gate properly?

Patrick Bovee 06-08-2015 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 (Post 7000907)
Failing shifter assembly?

I'd pull the shift knob off and manually depress the plunger and see if that makes a difference. If not, id prob venture to guess it's the shifter itself. Can you pull the shift plate off and have a peek?

Did someone take it off recently and didn't install the shifter into the selector gate properly?

The shift plate was never removed I just took the main shift knob off and put the new one on. Maybe I missed a piece of the install?

Mustang5L5 06-08-2015 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Bovee (Post 7000911)
The shift plate was never removed I just took the main shift knob off and put the new one on. Maybe I missed a piece of the install?

I'd say that's your issue then. I went though the same thing when I installed my M45 sport knob. If the knob doesn't sit correctly on the shifter pin, it's hard to shift.

Take the knob off and try shifting just by pressing the pin down. If it's easy, then you didn't install the knob correctly. .

Patrick Bovee 06-08-2015 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 (Post 7000915)
I'd say that's your issue then. I went though the same thing when I installed my M45 sport knob. If the knob doesn't sit correctly on the shifter pin, it's hard to shift.

Take the knob off and try shifting just by pressing the pin down. If it's easy, then you didn't install the knob correctly. .

I don't see why the lights would be all different.. When in park the little red light is in reverse. When I put it in reverse there is no light and drive works fine lol.

Mustang5L5 06-08-2015 01:21 PM

The shifter indicator plate is pate of the shifter trim panel. You'll need to pop it out and have a look. It's possible that broke somehow.

Duriisimo 06-08-2015 03:40 PM

Something may have fallen in and blocked the path. Pop it open and take a look

Patrick Bovee 06-08-2015 04:12 PM

Can you link me to a DIY to pop open the shift plate? How easy is it ?

Mustang5L5 06-09-2015 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Bovee (Post 7001022)
Can you link me to a DIY to pop open the shift plate? How easy is it ?

Remove shift knob.

Take a flat head screwdriver and slide it carefully under the trim at the edge of the console where there is a seam. Pry upwards to pop the trim up. Repeat on both sides.

With both sides popped up. pull the trim out towards you. It might be easier to put the car in Drive and do this (with foot on the brake).

There's one plug for the cig lighter and shift PRND light.

Look up under the shifter trim. There is a gate. This slides back and forth and moves that red indicator. See if this is functioning correctly by manually moving it.

When you reinstall the trim, make sure you put the shft level through the gate correctly.

Patrick Bovee 06-10-2015 07:37 PM

Hard to shift into Park and Reverse

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so I took it off and it looks like the plastic sliding price is broken. Any tips on fixing them

Mustang5L5 06-11-2015 09:08 AM

Hop on Ebay, and search for a shifter trim for sale. Grab a cheap one with scratched or peeling aluminum trim or a damaged shift boot and just remove the gate part and swap it over to your shifter.

Patrick Bovee 06-11-2015 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 (Post 7001719)
Hop on Ebay, and search for a shifter trim for sale. Grab a cheap one with scratched or peeling aluminum trim or a damaged shift boot and just remove the gate part and swap it over to your shifter.

I'm really not car savy at all because im scared im going to brake something. Do they sell new Trim? On eBay there all scratched I rather just buy a brand new one and slap it on there and not have to worry when I start swapping things that's when I screw it up !:5091:

Mustang5L5 06-11-2015 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Bovee (Post 7001745)
I'm really not car savy at all because im scared im going to brake something. Do they sell new Trim? On eBay there all scratched I rather just buy a brand new one and slap it on there and not have to worry when I start swapping things that's when I screw it up !:5091:

You can buy complete trim panels for $50-100 used.

A new one from the dealer would prob be $300+ or so. Call up a dealer and see what they would want.

Plenty of decent used ones on Ebay. I only suggested getting a cheap, damaged one just to take the part you really need out. If oyu want to swap the entire thing out, you can do that as well. You'll just spend a little more $$$

Patrick Bovee 06-11-2015 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 (Post 7001771)
You can buy complete trim panels for $50-100 used.

A new one from the dealer would prob be $300+ or so. Call up a dealer and see what they would want.

Plenty of decent used ones on Ebay. I only suggested getting a cheap, damaged one just to take the part you really need out. If oyu want to swap the entire thing out, you can do that as well. You'll just spend a little more $$$

I'm going to bring it to a local shop and see what they can do with it. I would hate to spend money on a used one and the gate is still screwed up can it work without that gate completely or no??