G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hard to shift into Park and Reverse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5AT Coupe SxExCx shift ****... Ok so randomly I pulled into my driveway it was shifting fine... I went to put it into park and it got stuck on reverse I literally had to force it into park and it does not click or anything. The little red light that goes on when your in the gear is not there when I get it into reverse the light is on neutral but my car is in reverse... please help!!! BTW this just happened after a tune I got...

Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM
no one has any idea what t could be>?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Failing shifter assembly?

I'd pull the shift **** off and manually depress the plunger and see if that makes a difference. If not, id prob venture to guess it's the shifter itself. Can you pull the shift plate off and have a peek?

Did someone take it off recently and didn't install the shifter into the selector gate properly?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Failing shifter assembly?

I'd pull the shift **** off and manually depress the plunger and see if that makes a difference. If not, id prob venture to guess it's the shifter itself. Can you pull the shift plate off and have a peek?

Did someone take it off recently and didn't install the shifter into the selector gate properly?
The shift plate was never removed I just took the main shift **** off and put the new one on. Maybe I missed a piece of the install?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Patrick Bovee
The shift plate was never removed I just took the main shift **** off and put the new one on. Maybe I missed a piece of the install?
I'd say that's your issue then. I went though the same thing when I installed my M45 sport ****. If the **** doesn't sit correctly on the shifter pin, it's hard to shift.

Take the **** off and try shifting just by pressing the pin down. If it's easy, then you didn't install the **** correctly. .

Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM
I'd say that's your issue then. I went though the same thing when I installed my M45 sport ****. If the **** doesn't sit correctly on the shifter pin, it's hard to shift.

Take the **** off and try shifting just by pressing the pin down. If it's easy, then you didn't install the **** correctly. .
I don't see why the lights would be all different.. When in park the little red light is in reverse. When I put it in reverse there is no light and drive works fine lol.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:21 PM
The shifter indicator plate is pate of the shifter trim panel. You'll need to pop it out and have a look. It's possible that broke somehow.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Something may have fallen in and blocked the path. Pop it open and take a look

Old 06-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Can you link me to a DIY to pop open the shift plate? How easy is it ?

Old 06-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Can you link me to a DIY to pop open the shift plate? How easy is it ?

Remove shift ****.

Take a flat head screwdriver and slide it carefully under the trim at the edge of the console where there is a seam. Pry upwards to pop the trim up. Repeat on both sides.

With both sides popped up. pull the trim out towards you. It might be easier to put the car in Drive and do this (with foot on the brake).

There's one plug for the cig lighter and shift PRND light.

Look up under the shifter trim. There is a gate. This slides back and forth and moves that red indicator. See if this is functioning correctly by manually moving it.

When you reinstall the trim, make sure you put the shft level through the gate correctly.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Ok so I took it off and it looks like the plastic sliding price is broken. Any tips on fixing them

Attached Thumbnails Hard to shift into Park and Reverse-photo215.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Hop on Ebay, and search for a shifter trim for sale. Grab a cheap one with scratched or peeling aluminum trim or a damaged shift boot and just remove the gate part and swap it over to your shifter.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Hop on Ebay, and search for a shifter trim for sale. Grab a cheap one with scratched or peeling aluminum trim or a damaged shift boot and just remove the gate part and swap it over to your shifter.
I'm really not car savy at all because im scared im going to brake something. Do they sell new Trim? On eBay there all scratched I rather just buy a brand new one and slap it on there and not have to worry when I start swapping things that's when I screw it up !

Old 06-11-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm really not car savy at all because im scared im going to brake something. Do they sell new Trim? On eBay there all scratched I rather just buy a brand new one and slap it on there and not have to worry when I start swapping things that's when I screw it up !

You can buy complete trim panels for $50-100 used.

A new one from the dealer would prob be $300+ or so. Call up a dealer and see what they would want.

Plenty of decent used ones on Ebay. I only suggested getting a cheap, damaged one just to take the part you really need out. If oyu want to swap the entire thing out, you can do that as well. You'll just spend a little more $$$

Old 06-11-2015, 12:16 PM
You can buy complete trim panels for $50-100 used.

A new one from the dealer would prob be $300+ or so. Call up a dealer and see what they would want.

Plenty of decent used ones on Ebay. I only suggested getting a cheap, damaged one just to take the part you really need out. If oyu want to swap the entire thing out, you can do that as well. You'll just spend a little more $$$
I'm going to bring it to a local shop and see what they can do with it. I would hate to spend money on a used one and the gate is still screwed up can it work without that gate completely or no??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hard to shift into Park and Reverse