G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Genuine G35 Coupe Shocks / Struts (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/449788-genuine-g35-coupe-shocks-struts.html)

leo38cheng 06-16-2015 09:25 PM

Genuine G35 Coupe Shocks / Struts

1 Attachment(s)
I saw these on Craigslist and was wondering if theres any way to tell if these are genuine 2005 g35 sports coupe shocks.

I need to replace my. shocks / struts and the person is saying these have 30k milage on them for $200. Is that reasonable?

Are oems best?

Thanks!

rsingerG35 06-17-2015 03:44 AM

OEM struts will have a sticker on it with the OEM part number. OEM struts are also made by Tokico which is stamped on the struts.

Not sure on the price but I have seen them go cheaper. New they are $200+ a piece if that helps.

If I am not mistaken only the rear springs are different on sport packages.

ScraggleRock 06-17-2015 04:44 AM

Who cares? There are better aftermarket options at affordable prices that are brand new. Used suspension parts are almost never worth buying (unless its a solid, non jointed part with no bushing). KYB shocks with your stock springs would be better, brand new and not much more expensive

leo38cheng 06-17-2015 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock (Post 7002982)
Who cares? There are better aftermarket options at affordable prices that are brand new. Used suspension parts are almost never worth buying (unless its a solid, non jointed part with no bushing). KYB shocks with your stock springs would be better, brand new and not much more expensive

But I heard KYBs are really bad compare to stock / Tokico. The car has 155k on it, should I change the springs as well? From the picture can you tell if they are solid/non jointed part?

How much are the kybs for the fronts /and the rears?

leo38cheng 06-17-2015 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by rsingerG35 (Post 7002978)
OEM struts will have a sticker on it with the OEM part number. OEM struts are also made by Tokico which is stamped on the struts.

Not sure on the price but I have seen them go cheaper. New they are $200+ a piece if that helps.

If I am not mistaken only the rear springs are different on sport packages.

thanks - how can i tell the rears are from the sport package.

leo38cheng 06-17-2015 12:51 PM

I also read somewhere about red dots -- are those on the shocks / struts as well? what does the red dots mean? *THANKS!

zcherub 06-17-2015 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by leo38cheng (Post 7002989)
But I heard KYBs are really bad compare to stock / Tokico. The car has 155k on it, should I change the springs as well? From the picture can you tell if they are solid/non jointed part?

How much are the kybs for the fronts /and the rears?

They are not a solid/non-jointed part. He meant don't buy suspension components used if they, by their function/nature, have moving parts. Shocks obviously have moving parts, so used is probably not the route to go. A sway bar, by contrast, would be a solid metal, non-jointed piece that you're probably fine with buying used.

leo38cheng 06-17-2015 01:09 PM

*THANKS!

When changing the shocks / struts on a car with 150k, what other parts is "recommended" to change since we have everything opened already. Also, how are the kybs compare to oems?

ScraggleRock 06-17-2015 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by zcherub (Post 7003053)
They are not a solid/non-jointed part. He meant don't buy suspension components used if they, by their function/nature, have moving parts. Shocks obviously have moving parts, so used is probably not the route to go. A sway bar, by contrast, would be a solid metal, non-jointed piece that you're probably fine with buying used.

Correct :)

zcherub 06-17-2015 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by leo38cheng (Post 7003058)
*THANKS!

When changing the shocks / struts on a car with 150k, what other parts is "recommended" to change since we have everything opened already. Also, how are the kybs compare to oems?

No sure... Off the top of my head, maybe sway bar end links, solid sub-frame bushings upgrade. I'll let someone more knowledgeable about suspension chime in with anything else.

ScraggleRock 06-17-2015 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by leo38cheng (Post 7003058)
*THANKS!

The KYBs are great. I've had them on for 60k miles now and I'm mildly lowered.

I would also consider replacing your compression rods, lower control arm bushings and steering knuckle ball joints.

leo38cheng 06-17-2015 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock (Post 7003074)
The KYBs are great. I've had them on for 60k miles now and I'm mildly lowered.

I would also consider replacing your compression rods, lower control arm bushings and steering knuckle ball joints.

THANKS! Would you got all oems on the compression rods/control arms) and knuckle ball joints or you have other recommendations?

Jonlex99 06-17-2015 11:14 PM

Don't waist your time or money... Buy new shop around...

ScraggleRock 06-17-2015 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by leo38cheng (Post 7003076)
THANKS! Would you got all oems on the compression rods/control arms) and knuckle ball joints or you have other recommendations?

No, there are plenty of options for suspension parts now. Mevotech is the most affordable (rockauto.com) and they're a fine replacement. You could get both compression rods and both LCAs for about $200. OEM is SUPER expensive and don't forget that they're the parts that failed in the first place.

If you really wanted to tighten everything up you could get new comp rods (comp rods have to be new cuz of irreplaceable ball joints), but replace the bushings with polyurethane, and then reuse your current LCAs but replace the bushing with polyurethane. You gotta get the old bushings pushed out tho.

tha_ape 06-21-2015 07:35 AM

Keep in mind that Nissan paid their engineers to design this car. They spent a lot of time setting up the suspension/steering geometry based on certain damper/spring rates.

Not that it's impossible to get better performance out of the car, but just be aware of all the things that change when you start adjusting those bound/rebound rates. Some of that can actually negatively affect performance.

*shakes old man fist*