G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Genuine G35 Coupe Shocks / Struts

  #1  
Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 146
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genuine G35 Coupe Shocks / Struts

I saw these on Craigslist and was wondering if theres any way to tell if these are genuine 2005 g35 sports coupe shocks.

I need to replace my. shocks / struts and the person is saying these have 30k milage on them for $200. Is that reasonable?

Are oems best?

Thanks!
 
Attached Thumbnails Genuine G35 Coupe Shocks / Struts-screenshot_2015-06-16-21-21-59.png  
  #2  
Old 06-17-2015, 03:44 AM
rsingerG35's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,142
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
OEM struts will have a sticker on it with the OEM part number. OEM struts are also made by Tokico which is stamped on the struts.

Not sure on the price but I have seen them go cheaper. New they are $200+ a piece if that helps.

If I am not mistaken only the rear springs are different on sport packages.
 

Last edited by rsingerG35; 06-17-2015 at 03:49 AM.
  #3  
Old 06-17-2015, 04:44 AM
ScraggleRock's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,805
Likes: 0
Received 714 Likes on 607 Posts
Who cares? There are better aftermarket options at affordable prices that are brand new. Used suspension parts are almost never worth buying (unless its a solid, non jointed part with no bushing). KYB shocks with your stock springs would be better, brand new and not much more expensive
 
  #4  
Old 06-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 146
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genuine G35 Coupe Shocks / Struts

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock View Post
Who cares? There are better aftermarket options at affordable prices that are brand new. Used suspension parts are almost never worth buying (unless its a solid, non jointed part with no bushing). KYB shocks with your stock springs would be better, brand new and not much more expensive
But I heard KYBs are really bad compare to stock / Tokico. The car has 155k on it, should I change the springs as well? From the picture can you tell if they are solid/non jointed part?

How much are the kybs for the fronts /and the rears?
 
  #5  
Old 06-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 146
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genuine G35 Coupe Shocks / Struts

Originally Posted by rsingerG35 View Post
OEM struts will have a sticker on it with the OEM part number. OEM struts are also made by Tokico which is stamped on the struts.

Not sure on the price but I have seen them go cheaper. New they are $200+ a piece if that helps.

If I am not mistaken only the rear springs are different on sport packages.
thanks - how can i tell the rears are from the sport package.
 
  #6  
Old 06-17-2015, 12:51 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 146
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also read somewhere about red dots -- are those on the shocks / struts as well? what does the red dots mean? *THANKS!
 
  #7  
Old 06-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 194
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by leo38cheng View Post
But I heard KYBs are really bad compare to stock / Tokico. The car has 155k on it, should I change the springs as well? From the picture can you tell if they are solid/non jointed part?

How much are the kybs for the fronts /and the rears?
They are not a solid/non-jointed part. He meant don't buy suspension components used if they, by their function/nature, have moving parts. Shocks obviously have moving parts, so used is probably not the route to go. A sway bar, by contrast, would be a solid metal, non-jointed piece that you're probably fine with buying used.
 
  #8  
Old 06-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 146
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*THANKS!

When changing the shocks / struts on a car with 150k, what other parts is "recommended" to change since we have everything opened already. Also, how are the kybs compare to oems?
 
  #9  
Old 06-17-2015, 01:14 PM
ScraggleRock's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,805
Likes: 0
Received 714 Likes on 607 Posts
Originally Posted by zcherub View Post
They are not a solid/non-jointed part. He meant don't buy suspension components used if they, by their function/nature, have moving parts. Shocks obviously have moving parts, so used is probably not the route to go. A sway bar, by contrast, would be a solid metal, non-jointed piece that you're probably fine with buying used.
Correct
 
  #10  
Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 194
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by leo38cheng View Post
*THANKS!

When changing the shocks / struts on a car with 150k, what other parts is "recommended" to change since we have everything opened already. Also, how are the kybs compare to oems?
No sure... Off the top of my head, maybe sway bar end links, solid sub-frame bushings upgrade. I'll let someone more knowledgeable about suspension chime in with anything else.
 
  #11  
Old 06-17-2015, 03:04 PM
ScraggleRock's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,805
Likes: 0
Received 714 Likes on 607 Posts
Originally Posted by leo38cheng View Post
*THANKS!

When changing the shocks / struts on a car with 150k, what other parts is "recommended" to change since we have everything opened already. Also, how are the kybs compare to oems?
The KYBs are great. I've had them on for 60k miles now and I'm mildly lowered.

I would also consider replacing your compression rods, lower control arm bushings and steering knuckle ball joints.
 
  #12  
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 146
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genuine G35 Coupe Shocks / Struts

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock View Post
The KYBs are great. I've had them on for 60k miles now and I'm mildly lowered.

I would also consider replacing your compression rods, lower control arm bushings and steering knuckle ball joints.
THANKS! Would you got all oems on the compression rods/control arms) and knuckle ball joints or you have other recommendations?
 
  #13  
Old 06-17-2015, 11:14 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't waist your time or money... Buy new shop around...
 
  #14  
Old 06-17-2015, 11:36 PM
ScraggleRock's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,805
Likes: 0
Received 714 Likes on 607 Posts
Originally Posted by leo38cheng View Post
THANKS! Would you got all oems on the compression rods/control arms) and knuckle ball joints or you have other recommendations?
No, there are plenty of options for suspension parts now. Mevotech is the most affordable (rockauto.com) and they're a fine replacement. You could get both compression rods and both LCAs for about $200. OEM is SUPER expensive and don't forget that they're the parts that failed in the first place.

If you really wanted to tighten everything up you could get new comp rods (comp rods have to be new cuz of irreplaceable ball joints), but replace the bushings with polyurethane, and then reuse your current LCAs but replace the bushing with polyurethane. You gotta get the old bushings pushed out tho.
 
  #15  
Old 06-21-2015, 07:35 AM
tha_ape's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 154
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 6MT Coupe
Keep in mind that Nissan paid their engineers to design this car. They spent a lot of time setting up the suspension/steering geometry based on certain damper/spring rates.

Not that it's impossible to get better performance out of the car, but just be aware of all the things that change when you start adjusting those bound/rebound rates. Some of that can actually negatively affect performance.

*shakes old man fist*
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Genuine G35 Coupe Shocks / Struts


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: