G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clicking Noise When Shifting Gears, Help Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking Noise When Shifting Gears, Help Please!

Hi all,

I recently purchased my G back in early October, it's an 03' G35, automatic but 66k miles. I recently have been noticing a clicking noise when i either use the triptonic, or sometimes when it is in just full auto. It happens about 70% of the time my car down shifts into 1st or 2nd, or even when it upshifts into 2nd or 3rd. I am posting a video of me driving on my street.

https://youtu.be/SuEmhk79GAM

Please let me know what you think! There are 4 distinct clicks in this case. First 3 are at the very beginning, changing from reverse to drive and then (not punching it) accelerating. Last one is a few seconds after the third, changing into third gear.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
It's probably the rear axle click from CV's needing to be greased based on what I heard in that video that you posted. It's pretty common on these cars for them to make this noise whenever you first load/unload the drivetrain when they are in a state of needing to be serviced. Shifting gears would cause an unload/load on the drivetrain. There is a TSB that covers how to perform this service task floating around somewhere out there and it should be fairly easy to find if you search around.

Does it do it at low speeds too from a stop in regular Drive?... or are you only noticing it with tiptronic?

Old 11-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes the clicking occurs in both drive mode and triptonic. It rarely happens with multiple clicks, the video was actually the first time I heard it click 4 times

Originally Posted by partyman66
It's probably the rear axle click from CV's needing to be greased based on what I heard in that video that you posted. It's pretty common on these cars for them to make this noise whenever you first load/unload the drivetrain when they are in a state of needing to be serviced. Shifting gears would cause an unload/load on the drivetrain. There is a TSB that covers how to perform this service task floating around somewhere out there and it should be fairly easy to find if you search around.

Does it do it at low speeds too from a stop in regular Drive?... or are you only noticing it with tiptronic?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Cmerwin4
Thanks for the reply, yes the clicking occurs in both drive mode and triptonic. It rarely happens with multiple clicks, the video was actually the first time I heard it click 4 times
Yeah... I'm fairly certain it's the axle click then. Everyone who had their G35 when it was new has experienced it at some point. If you're a hands on technical person with some experience and own your own basic tools, you should be able to handle this task yourself in the driveway. If your car has very high mileage, it could also be worn CV joints that actually need to be replaced. It's worth climbing under the car and looking to make sure the boots on your CV's aren't ripped or leaking grease around the seal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.