G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Fuel Pump Failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Pump Failure?

I was driving ~35mph when and my car randomly lost all power, it regained power for a second then died again.

When I went to turn the car on it would start for a second or less then stall out. My fuel pump was priming extremely loud. Now it makes no noise at all.

Would this be the result of a dead fuel pump or a burnt fuse? Or worse?

Car is an '05 G35 Coupe 6MT with around 170k

Old 12-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Could be the pump, relay, or the fuse.

You need to test each one of them individually as they all mimic the same conditions. I had the same problem on my old Volvo it ended up being the relay.

Turn the car off/on a few times it should prime.
Check the fuse.
Check the relay with a multimeter, I think it's in the IPDM box behind the battery.
Look for continuity between two pins without power, provide power to both of those pins, listen for a click, and then check the other terminals to see which ones have continuity. If all that tests out then your relay is good.

You can try spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid in the throttle body to see if it starts. But, that stuff is real flammable, so I'd just be careful with it.

If it ends up being the pump you can use one of those Walbro's or eBay knock offs for 30 bucks. It's not a difficult fix and you can clean up the fuel gauge contacts while you're there. Just buy a new o-ring and make sure you get the float in correctly, sometimes it can get hung up on some wires down there and you're gauge will get all jacked up.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Could be the pump, relay, or the fuse.

You need to test each one of them individually as they all mimic the same conditions. I had the same problem on my old Volvo it ended up being the relay.

Turn the car off/on a few times it should prime.
Check the fuse.
Check the relay with a multimeter, I think it's in the IPDM box behind the battery.
Look for continuity between two pins without power, provide power to both of those pins, listen for a click, and then check the other terminals to see which ones have continuity. If all that tests out then your relay is good.

You can try spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid in the throttle body to see if it starts. But, that stuff is real flammable, so I'd just be careful with it.

If it ends up being the pump you can use one of those Walbro's or eBay knock offs for 30 bucks. It's not a difficult fix and you can clean up the fuel gauge contacts while you're there. Just buy a new o-ring and make sure you get the float in correctly, sometimes it can get hung up on some wires down there and you're gauge will get all jacked up.
Where's the fuse and relay located? All the diagrams on the interior fuse box and battery fuse box aren't showing the location of the 15A Fuel Pump fuse. And all the fuse diagrams I've seen online are only applicable to 03-04.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Never mind, found the fuse in the IPDM box. Was having trouble finding it.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
The fuel pump relay should be the middle one on the top right corner at least in my 06 coupe it is.

If you don't have a multimeter and they have the same numbers you can swap fuel pump relay with the one below it to see if it kicks on. The one below it is for the fog lamps I think.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.