G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

headlight confusion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlight confusion

Man I have searched the forum I have looked at ballast I have looked until I have confused myself completely about these HID lights. This is the first car I've ever had with them and I am at a complete loss. I have an 04 bought it 2 days ago. I have no bright lights whatsoever. I don't know if it's bulbs or it's ballast but both not working at the same time makes no sense to me. I try to think logically. The driver side also flickers on and off. I have to turn off and back on to get it to stay on. Sometime that works sometimes it doesn't. I there a thread I have over looked or a picture that explains how the........ How these work?

​​​​​​​On yea I'm new here the name is Tim straight out a GA. Thanks and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
The HID part is the low beam reflector I believe, and the bottom portion is a dual beam halogen - high beam or fog light I thought.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:14 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
The HID part is the low beam reflector I believe, and the bottom portion is a dual beam halogen - high beam or fog light I thought.
​​​​​​
thats correct for the 04 lights. OP, do your fog lights come on? There's a separate dial just beyond the headlight switch that turns your fogs on. The ballast doesn't run your high beams. If the fog's don't come on, you just need to change the bulbs (bulb size H4). If the fog's come on but the highs don't, there's a wiring problem.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:23 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Welcome to the G35 Driver forums Tim! One of the best mods you can make for a '04 coupe is dump those worthless headlights and find a set of '06 projectors ASAP! Check our Marketplace under Private Classified for a set, they're no longer manufactured and unavailable new! It's a "Plug & Play" install you'll enjoy every time you turn 'em on!
Gary

Old 12-22-2016, 04:47 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Gary he's asking for help figuring out his headlights, not looking for replacements so maybe you can stay on topic for once. Methinks you might be going a little senile at your advanced age lol. Lord knows I am.........

Scraggle's heading in the right direction OP but I'll add that since the fog/high are dual filament bulbs they might still need to be replaced if the fogs work and the highs don't. Still might be a wiring issue though. When you said the driver's light flickers off and on are you talking about low beams? If so you might have a bad or incorrectly installed bulb. Swap bulbs from side to side and drive around to see if the issue follows the bulb. Those bulbs ae D2R's.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:52 AM
Fog lights do not work either. Ok thanks for the info about the HID lamps. I will check everything out and let you guys know and yeah thanks Gary for pointing me in the direction of new lights my wife already had given me the go ahead on new housings seeing how age has completely tarnished the lens on these.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Gary he's asking for help figuring out his headlights, not looking for replacements so maybe you can stay on topic for once. Methinks you might be going a little senile at your advanced age lol. Lord knows I am.....
When did logic (they don't teach that in school) make you senile? First gen headlights are garbage, replacing them with projectors is the best upgrade any G coupe owner can make...fact! I'm aware he obviously has issues with his headlights (that is the topic) but why waste time and $$ on anything that isn't worth fixing when they can be replaced with something worlds apart better?
Gary

Old 12-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Ok both highs are completely and utterly destoyed...have no idea how both can go out like shatter at the same time. It already has an aftermarket ballast. I'll see what kind when I get back on the way to parts store now.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
snap a pic of the headlights. they sound like they have been modified

Old 12-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Yea it sounds like eBay's finest had made it into your low beams/Fogs. The lower hole for the '04's should have the OEM ballast for the low beam.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:16 PM
Thats what my high beams looked like. I went ahead and bought a bulb for low beams put it in and it works fine the last one had a burnt spot where the connection touches the metal ring around the bulb. I never checked to see what kind of ballast it was although it had a ballast and then like a little rectangle piece coming out of the ballast....i dont know it was all new to me i went ahead and took the original ballst apart and mounted the others using the screws, the star screws. I HID everything better than the crap job someone had done before. Also added some screws that were missing to the bumper. I didn't take any picture due to my wife calling saying hurry up the kids are screaming.....gotta love it. I think it was a very productive day. The part store had a HID bulb for $48 and the high/fog were only like $6 a piece. All in all I spent around $60 and now I have brights and dogs woot woot. Thanks for all the information guys it really paid off.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Managed to stick the phone in there and click this.
​​​​​​​

Old 12-22-2016, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

No problemo. Hid for projectors or factory reflectors only, and halogen for normal reflectors works best. Looks like you got it all figured out!

Old 12-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
As someone who has an 04 who's switched to OEM projectors, I will tell you, you will NOT be sorry. The light output is MUCH better and they look 10x better not having that stupid orange blinker lens.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
As someone who has an 04 who's switched to OEM projectors, I will tell you, you will NOT be sorry. The light output is MUCH better and they look 10x better not having that stupid orange blinker lens.
Yeah amber lenses are the WORST. The OEMs are noticing that and cars like Mercedes's and Audi don't have those anymore.

But the Q50...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.