G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2nd Gear GRINDS after transmission oil change!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Oem fluid is gear oil shouldn't it be some kind of synthetic the guy at the nissan dealer told me to try to find some synthetic type oil.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:56 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I pretty much stopped reading after some joker says "I've never changed my fluids and things are fine...blahblah." All fluids deteriorate and should be replaced periodically. Some last longer than others, motor oil vs brake fluid for example, but they all degrade. It's a pretty noticeable difference when old sludgy trans and rear diff fluids get changed out. The car is some much smoother. I'll get off my soap box now.

These transmissions require a GL4 fluid due to the materials the syncros are made out of. Most auto parts stores and chain lube shops stock or use a GL4/5 fluid, which is really GL5. Think of normal Mobil 1 gear lube in AutoZone. The additives in GL5 fluids destroy these transmissions.

tl;dr -> Change whatever gear oil was put in the car with OEM Nissan MTF, or Redline MT85 fluid. These are the proper fluids for the transmissions. There's some other brands (Amsoil) that make a GL4 fluid, but to keep it simple, OEM and Redline are by far the most popular. Redline MT90 is a little bit too thick and can cause notchy feeling, especially when it's cold out.

PS, recycling oil means disposing of it properly, not dumping old crap back into your car.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
You must put in Nissan Matic J or the replacement, Matic S last I checked. Otherwise it's a synchronizer issue it sounds like.

Try double clutching it into second, if it goes very smoothly after a double clutch shift it should be the synchro which has failed - I am serious.
Nissan Matic J or Matic S??? OP is asking about a manual transmission, those fluids are for automatic trans.

And where is the OP, never specified what type of oil and what viscosity was put in there. I went through this 2 years ago, debating what fluid to put to make it less notchy. I ended up going with OEM 75w-85 GL-4 and called it a day. These transmission are notchy from the factory (especially when cold) and I didn't want to spend endless amount of dollars buying and replacing different brands/viscosity trying to find an improvement.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (02-07-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,028 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
Nissan Matic J or Matic S??? OP is asking about a manual transmission, those fluids are for automatic trans.

And where is the OP, never specified what type of oil and what viscosity was put in there. I went through this 2 years ago, debating what fluid to put to make it less notchy. I ended up going with OEM 75w-85 GL-4 and called it a day. These transmission are notchy from the factory (especially when cold) and I didn't want to spend endless amount of dollars buying and replacing different brands/viscosity trying to find an improvement.
Great point. Oversight!

Old 02-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the fluid i bought, ended up costing me about $20 a quart from the Nissan dealership.This is the fluid you guys meant ot get right?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by slow
This is the fluid i bought, ended up costing me about $20 a quart from the Nissan dealership.This is the fluid you guys meant ot get right?
Yes, that is the OEM fluid. This is exactly what I put into mine also. I replaced it cause I wasn't sure what was in my car after I bought it. Felt the same as it did before the change. Maybe try synthetic Redline MT85 but there have been mixed results both here and 350z.com, some say there was a big improvement some said it didn't make any difference, some say it made it worse.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by slow

Yep! That's the stuff. Total ripoff on the price they charge for it, but it's worth spending it every few years to not have to worry about undue transmission problems.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,028 Likes on 945 Posts
Damn! Consider buying online next time .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.