G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Problems getting into 2nd gear!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems getting into 2nd gear!

Hey guys, I'm new to the community, I've tried searching the forum cant seem to find any solution. Sorry if I'm asking the same question that already been asked.

1st. My car won't go into 2nd gear when i start it on a cold engine. only when the temp gage goes half way it let me shift into 2nd from 1st. Is it bad that I go into 3rd gear with 2k rpm going around 10~15 mph?

2nd. The car downshifts fine in other gears, but when i try to go into 2nd from 3rd gear at ~25-20mph it wont let me go into 2nd (cant force it in even if i wanted to, feels like something is blocking it, same as for the above problem, its like something blocking me from going into 2nd gear). I've tried revving up to 2500-3000 and it still wont let me, until im at around 10~15mph then it let me go into 2nd, but i'll be stopping already. Pretty much from 3rd to neutral.

Thanks guys, sorry again if im asking the same questions, i couldnt find any related post so I started a new thread.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Since you didn't state, I'm guessing you have and 03-04 6MT? The syncros in the trans around those years are known to go bad. You need to rebuild the transmission, or replace it, preferably with a new model CD009 or CD00A trans that have revise syncros to avoid the problems of early models.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Since you didn't state, I'm guessing you have and 03-04 6MT? The syncros in the trans around those years are known to go bad. You need to rebuild the transmission, or replace it, preferably with a new model CD009 or CD00A trans that have revise syncros to avoid the problems of early models.
I have an 05 6MT. How much would that cost? Are there any other solutions?

Old 03-09-2017, 06:28 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
It'll be expensive and no, there aren't any other options. Sorry....

Old 03-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Did you try double-clutching and rev matching on your downshift?

The reason for the double-clutch is to get the transmission input shaft\mainshaft moving close to the same speed as the desired gear on the layshaft prior to trying to engage that gear. This will allow you to go into the gear that's fighting you even if your synchro is toast as long as you match it close enough. Sometimes a synchro ring can crack though and expand outward making it hard to get into the desired gear even with a perfect match because it acts as a physical blocker impeding the shifter fork from moving into the desired gear.

If you know someone with a press or a machine shop, you could rent or buy a gear/bearing puller and replace the synchros in your tranny with new ones. I'm not sure how much that would cost you, but the labor is generally the big part of this process. While you're in there you'd also want to replace your input and output shaft bearings since they are a piece of cake to swap out and prone to failure on just about any transmission in any car.

Or you could just throw another tranny in there. Now's a good time to get comfortable working on cars and buy some tools.. save yourself some money now and a ton of money in the long run.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
A brand new CD00A trans is about $1,800 and a used CD009 goes for around $500-900. No clue what a rebuild/repair would cost.

I'm curious if you know the maintenance history of that car? Has the trans fluid ever been replaced, with what fluid? How many miles?

05 should have the CD009 revision, though early builds might have had the CD008.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:46 PM
I don't have any previous maintenance history of the car, the previous owner didnt have it. And the previous owner doesn't know if the tranny been flushed or not. Car currently have 120k miles, I bought it at 119k. I'll have to look into replacing the synchros and bearings.

What harm will it cause if I don't replace the bad synchros?

Another question, I don't need to worry about the replacing the timing chain since its different from the timing belt?

Thank you guys for your inputs.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by alexscar
I don't have any previous maintenance history of the car, the previous owner didnt have it. And the previous owner doesn't know if the tranny been flushed or not. Car currently have 120k miles, I bought it at 119k. I'll have to look into replacing the synchros and bearings.

What harm will it cause if I don't replace the bad synchros?

Another question, I don't need to worry about the replacing the timing chain since its different from the timing belt?

Thank you guys for your inputs.
Your engine has a timing chain rather than a belt and it should not need to be serviced until around 250k+ miles. If you don't do anything about the second gear grind, you should avoid the situation where it grinds at all costs. The gears in this tranny are so close that it's real easy to just skip gears all the time. I rarely use all gears in the process of accelerating in my G. Most of the time it's something like 1-2-4-6 or 1-3-5-6. 2nd gear is probably one of the more useful ones to have though since most cars are difficult to get into 1st if you're moving just above a few mph, and 2nd is best in those situations.

If you keep driving and grinding 2nd, you'll keep wearing that brass synchro and blocker ring more and more and create a lot of brass shavings in the tranny. These aren't picked up by the magnet and will float around in the gear oil causing damage to other parts in there along the way.

Try changing your tranny fluid to a new batch of OEM Nissan MTF. Old and worn tranny fluid breaks down and doesn't lubricate as well. You can feel a noticeable difference in shifting with it. Worth a shot for $70 worth of gear oil vs a potential new tranny. You just do a drain and refill. No flush is necessary.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Question..... do you ever have trouble getting into 4th or 6th gears too or is it just 2nd?

Most manual trannies have a cap and plastic collar/bushing at the bottom of the shift lever. The bushing can degrade and break down from use and cause you to not be able to get into certain gears or cause it to pop out of gear. These parts are only like $10-20 to replace in most vehicles. Might be worth ripping your shift lever out and taking a look to see if those pieces are still completely intact.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.