G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

A/C noise issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A/C noise issue

I wish I had a video of it, but unfortunately I do not.

My air conditioner and/or hear makes a loud squeaky noise when I first turn on my climate system. The sound only goes away if I leave the climate system on for 5 or more minutes. It also goes away if I simply turn off my climate system too.

It seems like the sound is coming from the passenger air bag area too so I know for a fact that it is not my belt or anything.

Does/Did anybody else have this issue before? And if so, what is the fix for this? Its embarrassing turning on the climate system in my car with other people in it just to hear loud squeaky noises coming out of it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:27 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Turn on your AC with the car parked and hood popped, then listen around under the hood and try to see if you can isolate the source. I bet it's your belt even though it sounds (from inside the cabin) like it's coming from the passenger's airbag area.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Turn on your AC with the car parked and hood popped, then listen around under the hood and try to see if you can isolate the source. I bet it's your belt even though it sounds (from inside the cabin) like it's coming from the passenger's airbag area.
thats a good idea. Thank you. I'll get back to this thread once the sound occurs again.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
If not, then you need to drop the passenger side Lower dash and inspect the AC system. Mine was really dirty and needed lubricated.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:34 AM
Videos

Here are some video I took of the noise when I turn on the A/C. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger airbag area. I've already replaced both my belts so I know that is NOT the issue.

Video 1: https://youtu.be/AbZPogfCla0
Video 2: https://youtu.be/zHeA3cjxCN8

Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sounds like the a/c blower motor which is located under the passenger glovebox. Its easy to swap out. 5 or 6 screws for the lower glovebox and 3 screws for the blower motor.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Drop the fan motor out and see if there is anything jammed in there. Our cars have air filters on the intake but sometimes animals like to chew through them and build nests in there because it's warm. I've had that happen twice on other vehicles where the fan motor made weird noises. Cleaning it out fixed it in both cases.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
There are two, three things. One, it's the belt on the compressor, Two, it's the belt on the Alternator. When you hit the AC right after starting, you put a HUGE load on the Alternator. You are charging the Battery from the use of the starter, the injection system pulls 20-30 amps, the AC fan motor, and compressor clutch just add to the total. So your Alternator might have to pull over a 100 amps on start up. If the belt is not in good condition and if the belt tensioner is loose/weak, you end up with that squeal on start up. It could also be bad bearings in the blower motor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.