G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Should I get a tune done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I get a tune done?

Should I get a tune done on my 2007 Coupe? The mods I have done so far is install a motordyne aftermarket exhaust, ztube/k&n cone filter, ART pipes, and plenum spacer. And if I do end up doing a tune, how much more power am I really looking at? Will it be worth the $?

Old 04-20-2017, 05:17 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Do you plan on getting any other breather mods like headers? If so its cheaper to get them all done then tune so you don't have to pay for a re-tune after any changes. You've done most of what you can so far and expect to spend between $700-1000 dollars for a proper dyno tune and another $200 or so on a Cipher cable. I would say to expect between 20-30 added HP so the question of worth is really for you to answer.

When it was all said and done I wouldn't have spent 3/4 of the money on mods I did to my car over 8 years and put that $$ into a Vortech supercharger add.

Last edited by Blue Dream; 04-20-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by NyCrAzY
Should I get a tune done on my 2007 Coupe? The mods I have done so far is install a motordyne aftermarket exhaust, ztube/k&n cone filter, ART pipes, and plenum spacer. And if I do end up doing a tune, how much more power am I really looking at? Will it be worth the $?
Yes. It makes a big difference in driveability. You'll see 10~20 whp gain and a noticeable increase in responsiveness from removing the factory throttle restriction.

Also if you have a 6MT you can get the upgraded ARC license for flat foot shifting, 2 step launch control, and the burnout mod.

Never met anyone who regretted it, unless they got tuned by someone who was incompetent and didn't know what they were doing

Unless you're going for absolute maximum power I would recommend Osiris standard instead of a dyno tune tho, $550 gets you a reflash cable of your own and you do the tune remotely based on datalogs you record while driving.

I know a bit about this subject Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Attached Thumbnails Should I get a tune done?-joe-dyno.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
By the time I'd done the breather mods, intake/spacer/exhaust/hfc's I was throwing error codes and was running lean, didn't really have a choice! Getting a tune done, driving out the driveway puts a smile on your face that seldom goes away!
Gary

Old 04-21-2017, 03:55 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
If the car runs OK as is, I personally wouldn't get a tune. A G35 will never really be fast without forced induction or massive amounts of money thrown at every possible NA mod available.

Save your money.... I doubt the difference will be worth it to you in the long run.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:03 AM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
By the time I'd done the breather mods, intake/spacer/exhaust/hfc's I was throwing error codes and was running lean, didn't really have a choice! Getting a tune done, driving out the driveway puts a smile on your face that seldom goes away!
Gary
How did you notice you were running lean? I have all those mods too my idle is at 850 and my check engine light is on for 02 sensor back 1 sensor 1 or it's just a coincidence

Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 AM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by seymore4
Yes. It makes a big difference in driveability. You'll see 10~20 whp gain and a noticeable increase in responsiveness from removing the factory throttle restriction.

Also if you have a 6MT you can get the upgraded ARC license for flat foot shifting, 2 step launch control, and the burnout mod.

Never met anyone who regretted it, unless they got tuned by someone who was incompetent and didn't know what they were doing

Unless you're going for absolute maximum power I would recommend Osiris standard instead of a dyno tune tho, $550 gets you a reflash cable of your own and you do the tune remotely based on datalogs you record while driving.

I know a bit about this subject Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
I'll PM you about it in a week :-D

seymore4 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 04:45 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Hmmm I thought I made another post yesterday but it's missing. Anyhoo, listen to seymore when it comes to tuning. He is the guru of Osiris on the forum and he brought up a lot of good points about tuning that I left out.

seymore4 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by partyman66
If the car runs OK as is, I personally wouldn't get a tune. A G35 will never really be fast without forced induction or massive amounts of money thrown at every possible NA mod available.

Save your money.... I doubt the difference will be worth it to you in the long run.
Has your car been tuned so you can compare the difference before and after?

Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I had Seymour E-tune mine, and yeah, HP aside it's really the drivability you're after. Infact I'd go so far as to say if you only ever did one mod, a reflash should be it.

I remember he sent me a base reflash and I wasn't even sure anything had been when I uploaded it, cuz I had done zero datalogging and figured I was just uploading the licence at that point, but once I drove the car I emailed him like, "uhh, did you do something to the car already?". The difference is night and day.

Beyond just responsiveness, the car seemed to not like high revs with the stock tune. I mean I could get to redline, but there seemed to be a LOT of feedback when I did; now it loves to rev. 5krpm feels as smooth as 2k feels as good as 6k.

I really can't say enough about it. Makes the car feel like a different class of vehicle really.

seymore4 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
My experience with the sedan was also pleasingly satisfying. No engine mods at all (still under Infiniti Elite extended warranty). In my case, before the tune it was fun once it started pulling around 4K rpm, but not too interesting before that. After Seymore's tune, the power band was much better with an even strong pull from the get go.

seymore4 (04-21-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
I had Seymour E-tune mine, and yeah, HP aside it's really the drivability you're after. Infact I'd go so far as to say if you only ever did one mod, a reflash should be it.

I remember he sent me a base reflash and I wasn't even sure anything had been when I uploaded it, cuz I had done zero datalogging and figured I was just uploading the licence at that point, but once I drove the car I emailed him like, "uhh, did you do something to the car already?". The difference is night and day.

Beyond just responsiveness, the car seemed to not like high revs with the stock tune. I mean I could get to redline, but there seemed to be a LOT of feedback when I did; now it loves to rev. 5krpm feels as smooth as 2k feels as good as 6k.

I really can't say enough about it. Makes the car feel like a different class of vehicle really.
Sounds like money well spent, can I ask what it cost you? Mine already revs cleanly to 7500rpm, (2007 auto X Sedan all stock), wondering what sort of gains I'd be looking at

Old 05-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Serge Mullen
Sounds like money well spent, can I ask what it cost you? Mine already revs cleanly to 7500rpm, (2007 auto X Sedan all stock), wondering what sort of gains I'd be looking at
Shoot me a PM we'll talk

Old 05-05-2017, 11:45 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Serge Mullen
Well, I bought the cable/licence back when they were $400 I believe, then paid seymore4 to tune it. He's got a lot more info on it tho, so definitely talk to him.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Edgarc6789
How did you notice you were running lean? I have all those mods too my idle is at 850 and my check engine light is on for 02 sensor back 1 sensor 1 or it's just a coincidence
Don't recall the exact number of the error code but it told me I had a lean condition. The GT-R mechanic I knew at the time suggested a tune or put the OE cats back on to keep from having this issue. Honestly, you'll never find another 20+WHP & 15lbs+ torque for the $500+ you're spending. A tune will also correct your idle and possibly your sensor issues!
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.