G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

P0158

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 04:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0158

Had a check engine light and read a P0158 code. I searched the forums in regards to it but didn't find much results but it seems like my O2 sensor bank 2, sensor 2 needs to be replaced and should fix it hopefully? Also, I do have a motordyne exhaust paired with ART pipes so I am running no cats. Also, Bank 2, Sensor 2 is underneath the car right? Just want to make sure. And if so, the NGK 24404 O2 sensor is the correct replacement part, right? Thanks in advance guys.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you look up the diagnostic procedure in the factory service manual? The repair instructions from the people who designed and built your G35 are probably a better place to get accurate repair information than from various forums.

Throwing parts at a vehicle without diagnosing the problem gets expensive quickly...

That said, if you have no cats then the downstream O2 sensor is likely setting the code because you're no longer emissions compliant. Changing the sensor won't change that.

The following users liked this post:
telcoman (06-03-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Downstream O2 sensors don't affect how your car runs, they are simply there to check for emissions control problrms.... basically letting you know that your cats are not working right or that you have an exhaust leak forward of the sensor (in most cases). How long have you been using the ART pipes before this problem started happening?

Old 06-03-2017, 05:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyanY
Did you look up the diagnostic procedure in the factory service manual? The repair instructions from the people who designed and built your G35 are probably a better place to get accurate repair information than from various forums.

Throwing parts at a vehicle without diagnosing the problem gets expensive quickly...

That said, if you have no cats then the downstream O2 sensor is likely setting the code because you're no longer emissions compliant. Changing the sensor won't change that.
Originally Posted by partyman66
Downstream O2 sensors don't affect how your car runs, they are simply there to check for emissions control problrms.... basically letting you know that your cats are not working right or that you have an exhaust leak forward of the sensor (in most cases). How long have you been using the ART pipes before this problem started happening?
I've had my ART pipes for over a year now and probably driven past 12,000 miles on it with no CEL issues in regards to the O2 sensor. I cleared/erased the code last night and drove 110 miles since and the CEL hasn't came back on since so perhaps it just got triggered. But good to know that it doesn't affect my cars performance.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by NyCrAzY
I've had my ART pipes for over a year now and probably driven past 12,000 miles on it with no CEL issues in regards to the O2 sensor. I cleared/erased the code last night and drove 110 miles since and the CEL hasn't came back on since so perhaps it just got triggered. But good to know that it doesn't affect my cars performance.
That CES warning may not be back for a week or 10 days, if the sensor is bad you'll get another visit. When I've had those sensor warnings I replace them with only Nissan parts!
Gary

Old 06-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by NyCrAzY
There are a specific set of test conditions that need to be successfully run in order to get the car into the emissions - test READY state. Your OBD scanner probably has a feature to tell you if all the tests have passed yet or not. I'd check for that and see if it's ready or not, this way you know for sure without having to wait around snd hope the CEL stays off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.