G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Why is my brake rotor glowing red?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is my brake rotor glowing red?

I was up all night replacing my rear brake pads, rotors and calipers. I got done at midnight and after bleeding the brakes I went for a spin around the block. By the time I got back and pulled into the garage, a plume of brake smoke wafted around me. I got out and looked at the brakes and the driver's side was glowing cherry red. The passenger's side was fine. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what happened and what to try next. Any suggestions? The reason I replaced the calipers is because the driver's side started grinding. When I dug into it I found the pad was gone and the caliper was hyper extended. Locked up. Also, there's a whirring sound coming from the engine bay near the brake booster. ABS? Master cylinder? Any ideas?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Wow. The caliper is sticking. You need to make sure the caliper piston pulls away from the pad after you lift off the brake pedal, if not, it will continue to drag and wear out the brake parts.

Either buy a new caliper, or clean the slide pins and rebuild it.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Yeah and if it sticks again, take pics of the glowing brake disc

Old 06-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Wow. The caliper is sticking. You need to make sure the caliper piston pulls away from the pad after you lift off the brake pedal, if not, it will continue to drag and wear out the brake parts.

Either buy a new caliper, or clean the slide pins and rebuild it.
it's a brand new caliper and this model doesn't use slide pins.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
Yeah and if it sticks again, take pics of the glowing brake disc
It looked like this

Old 06-08-2017, 06:12 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If you just went for a spin around the block and they looked like that you've got a serious problem. Don't drive it again until you fix the issue......

Old 06-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by monocogger
I was up all night replacing my rear brake pads, rotors and calipers. I got done at midnight and after bleeding the brakes I went for a spin around the block. By the time I got back and pulled into the garage, a plume of brake smoke wafted around me. I got out and looked at the brakes and the driver's side was glowing cherry red. The passenger's side was fine. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what happened and what to try next. Any suggestions? The reason I replaced the calipers is because the driver's side started grinding. When I dug into it I found the pad was gone and the caliper was hyper extended. Locked up. Also, there's a whirring sound coming from the engine bay near the brake booster. ABS? Master cylinder? Any ideas?
Originally Posted by monocogger
Any ideas?
Let a pro fix it!

Telcoman

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.