G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Brake Fluid Flush - Bleeder Kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Brake Fluid Flush - Bleeder Kits

So I learned the hard way how important it is to change the brake fluid periodically. A year and a half ago I put new calipers, pads and rotors and over the years had seized calipers I assume from not changing brake fluid.

Anyway, at that time I picked up the Motive brake bleeder.(the correct model for the G35) I had found it worked to get some of the air out but the brakes were still very spongy. I really forgot about it since while I was working on the car someone had stopped by and I ended up doing the brake bleed the good old fashioned way, 2 people. Brakes were excellent.

Fast forward to last week, I was doing maintenance on the car which included a brake flush. I used the Motive bleeder, put the car back together and the brakes again were very spongy. The next day I put the car back on the jacks, tires off, bleed them again. Better but still requiring 2-3 pumps to get a very solid brake.

So off I went to Harbor Freight to buy their pneumatic brake bleeder. Yesterday, I used it. WOW. What an excellent find. I hooked it up, took me about 5 minutes to do the actual bleed once the tires were off and right away noticed that very stiff brake pedal. Put the tires on, went for a road test and amazing.

Price for the Harbor Freight $31 with tax (they always have 20% off coupons). The Motive bleeder over $65. I am not concerned about the $34. The thing being one barely works - the other is truly like having a two man team. The Harbor Freight pneumatic bleeder is amazing! I know Harbor Freight gets a bum rep sometimes and I can understand why. I have bought a thing or two that ended up being a waste of money from them. The Air Tank that I have though is actually a Harbor Freight and have had it for over 4 years and it to works excellent.

So why the post? I have learned so much from this community over the 11 years. I want to give back when I can. The Motive bleeder - skip it. Its a sub quality product The Harbor Freight works amazing. It is also slightly less messy. As long as you have an air tank... Harbor Freight is so clearly the way to go. I hope this helps someone out....

The following 2 users liked this post by LI-G35Driver:
Blue Dream (06-27-2017), ErikNYC (03-19-2018)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I've used the Motive a few times for my G and I don't usually put fluid in it anymore. I pump it up a few times, crack the bleeders, and then top of the master cylinder. I have an Audi and every single time I have never been able to bleed the brakes on that car.

I do like the power bleeder though for a few other reasons. You can buy an adaptor and make it a radiator pressure tester. I've also used it for pumping diff fluid when I need to change that fluid.

Harbor Freight does have some great automotive tools. I recently used their ball joint press to remove the studs from the CATs when I needed to change my y-pipe. Most of tools are from Harbor Freight, but I've had a lot of their torx sockets break on me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.