G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need my lower ball joints replaced but nobody wants to press them out.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need my lower ball joints replaced but nobody wants to press them out.

They're all trying to sell me on the entire knuckle but I feel like that's pretty excessive just for a ball joint. 6-700 dollars just to have 2 new ball joints. Surely these aren't impossible to press out? The only shop that wanted to give it a shot wanted 6 hours and over 600 dollars. Anybody know a shop in Los Angeles that would do it for me for a reasonable amount?

Last edited by Andy.; 07-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Hey

im new here how do you make a forsale post

Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Don't know about a shop in LA, however, you can do it yourself with a ball joint press and some time. I think I did both of mine in a few hours. The dealer or shop probably wants the markup they get for parts and it's not worth their time to press them out.

I bought Deeza joints from RockAuto.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Don't know about a shop in LA, however, you can do it yourself with a ball joint press and some time. I think I did both of mine in a few hours. The dealer or shop probably wants the markup they get for parts and it's not worth their time to press them out.

I bought Deeza joints from RockAuto.
The ball joint press from autozone doesn't work. The cup is way too big to fit in that tiny space i have to work with. And the ball joint is tilted at an angle. I just can't get it right. It keeps slipping. Plus the lower control arm is in the way of the c clamp even if I jack it up and out of the way. Frustrated the hell out of me. The cups kept on slipping, the sizes just weren't right and autozone doesn't have any other options.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Try the one from AdvancedAuto. The cups I used did destroy my old joints further upon taking them out, but didn't damage them when I put them back in. There is a metal pyramid cone looking spacer on there as well that needs to be put on the new joint if it comes out.

It's been awhile since I have done it, but I think I used a jack to lift up the knuckle at the lower control arm. I also turned the wheel as far as possible for extra room. It will come out and I think there is a DIY here somewhere also. Just make sure the cup is over the joint and you take the circlip out.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The advanced auto ball joint press has the correct size needed. Its an easy DIY. Avoid paying the extra bucks when you can DIY it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.