G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Nobody is spoiled (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/46067-nobody-spoiled.html)

eddwin 03-02-2005 03:01 PM

I'm 19 years old now and in college. I'm not going to disclose my high school GPA, SAT scores, and whatever status I achieved, but they were good enough for Duke/Columbia/MIT to offer me admissions.

My parents aren't extremely wealthy, but they granted my wish to own a car. I don't think I deserve it, and I don't think I could ever have worked hard enough to earn this beautiful thing. Every time I drive it I pray to God that my parents are always safe and that they never forget how much I love them. Having this car isn't an obligation but it's a priveledge.

When I see younger kids on the streets with M3's and S4's I don't look down on them. Their parents are wealthy. Tough s***. Granted at times I get jealous when I see some boy pull up next to me in a $50 grand + car, but that doesn't give me the right to scold him for being spoiled.

I love my parents, I love my car, and I love the way my life is right now. =)

clokwork 03-02-2005 03:08 PM

eddwin, you are probably the voice for those still in their teens who have a car like this or such. You make a damn good point. You made a lot of good points. This is just a fact that people have to get over. Im working for my car and my house I have planned for next year. It's me and my fiance against the world but I hold no and I mean NO hard feelings towards younger people driving nice cars.

I used to have a neighbor who had a Vipor and he let his son drive it!!! he couldnt have been older than 17. Honestly, the only thing I thought was, "wow, that is one lucky son of a beeyach" but in a good way. I would have loved to get behind the wheel of somethin like that when I was his age, but everybodys life is different. I will have my time. My time is coming. The reason I know is because I am going to make it happen.

Some things are worked for. Some things need more work than others. Some people dont have to work for stuff and thats not their fault. As I have stated before people.

Life is not fair and it is never going to be!! Get over it and make the best out of your own lives.

I mean that respectfully..

eddwin 03-02-2005 03:32 PM

clokwork I hope everything works out for the best for you and your fiance. Its you and your fiance against the world, but thats not gonna stop you.

clokwork 03-02-2005 03:36 PM

Thanks man, much appreciated!!

GonSpeed 03-02-2005 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Omar
I worked hard in high school taking rigorous honors and AP classes finishing 7/4xx students of my class with a 4.6 weighted GPA. I am transferring to USC next year as a neuroscience major.

holy **** man holy ****... thats all i can say

Britishbloke 03-02-2005 03:55 PM

This is an excellent thread. Interesting and mature comment and I'm rather impressed. I'm 35 , but have to agree with the majority of posts. The fact that I had nothing given to me, doesn't make me jealous, it makes me want to give everything I can to my kid when she's older. There's a very defined line between spoiled and being fortunate, most of the posters, if not all tend to fall into the latter category.
Good for you and good for your parents who do their best to give you a great start in your adult lives. Like I said, excellent post.

sales 03-02-2005 03:59 PM

I dont know about you guys...but my "incentive/reward" to get good grades was to avoid an ***-whoopin'. That said, had a G35 been offered to me I'd have graudated a 4.0 student and not a 3.5. :D . It's actually a good investment. Bribe/reward kid with G35 for straight A's through highschool -- kid receives full-ride to college of choice. Hmmm... G35 = 35K vs. College tution, housing and books (4 years) = 50K - 100K+. If it makes dollars it makes sense. :)

DiamondGCoupe 03-02-2005 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Omar
i said i earned it in a sense*, but i also stated that i dont feel i earned something of this stature. I wasnt even expecting a G to tell you the truth. Ang getting good grades isn't so much my justification, it is my parent's justification.

Couldn't have said that better myself, the only ones who complain are the ones who aren't in the same situation. Would any of you tell your parents NO, I dont want a new car, I didn't EARN it. ITS JUST A CAR! Who cares how you got it.

Originally Posted by SlayerGTR
its only spoiled when a kid jus turned 16 and is driving a car like a 330Ci. And when he gets older, his parents buy him a M3 or +++ lol G35s are only in mid 30s range.

Again nothing wrong with that, I'd be that way too, just not a fan of BMW.

Originally Posted by quiksilverj810
My dad bought me a new 05 coupe MT couple months back. In my school they call me "spoiled". But i dont think i am i put 10 g's for the down payment and my dad did the rest. I forget to mention he is a manger at a infiniti dealership, so we got a pretty good discount on the car.

Thats awesome man, I know a lot of people who sell cares, they usually buy a car for their kids, regardless of their financial situation.

Originally Posted by Britishbloke
The fact that I had nothing given to me, doesn't make me jealous, it makes me want to give everything I can to my kid when she's older. There's a very defined line between spoiled and being fortunate

Every parent wants the best for their kids, they want them to have nice things, and do well in life. I'll tell you right now, if my father wasn't wealthy and I didn't have Nice things, I probably wouldn't be doing so well in school. im not spoiled, im very fortunate and I do appreciate everything I have along with everyone else im sure. The people that complain, and say thats not right, are the jelous one's.

decoy 03-02-2005 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Redline6MT
I understand what you are saying, but I would try to view this from the parent's prospective. When I become a parent, I just might buy my child a new ride, if the conditions are right [might]. If the child trades up with their own money, that's cool with me. Just don't expect me, as a parent, to keep funding your addictions ....

I've got my own addictions to fund :D

I do see it from the parents' perspective, please read my earlier post. I posted this "on the other hand..." remark as an exception.

TheGest 03-02-2005 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rookie84
I'm sorry but not everyone gets a nice car for getting good grades. Actually, most of the people with amazing grades don't get anything other than scholarship from school. You never earned anything until you buy it with your OWN MONEY. When you work hard, you do get things in return: you get a better job and better knowledge when you are done with school. To say you "earned" it by making good grades doesn't sound right to me. I am in similar situation and most of my friends are immigrants, so I understand the culture. Just don't try to convince yourself that you earned it and see it as a gift from your father, because it is... without your father, you wouldn't have gotten anything for getting good grades from someone. Just wanted to point it out.

without his father he wouldnt have a home, thats like sayin without his father he woulndnt have been born, that like sayin you havent earned life

SoCalTed 03-02-2005 06:04 PM

I've been working since I was 10 (and I ain't talking mowing lawns or paper routes).

Dad "gave" me a 62 Ford Galaxie (my G500!) for my hard work in HS. i was also the 5th kid to own this car (it was my stepmoms') it required some hard work to get it roadworthy. He taught me to wrench...(teach a man to fish and you feed him for life)

Graduate HS at 17, but still had times I had to walk to work or ride my bike in the rain cuz the G500 wouldn't cooperate. During Uni, I did not have a car.

Went to university for 3 years, full load, but left university due to impacted depts and personal $$. i've need something like 18 credits to graduate. I also held two jobs during uni years. First time I put this in print, cuz I could get fired for not having a degree. But then again, I have enough experience now to put any college grad to shame.

After leaving uni, my dad understood, plus I was employed. He helped me pick up a '70 bug for transportation (and it was easy/cheap to fix and operate).

got a leg up with the dot.com (got smacked down a bit too) Got myself into a Chrysler Cirrus (bought it as a repo'd car with 12k on it) closest thing to new I'd ever had.

Got married, bought an Alero as a cheap commuter to save money for the "future car", which turned out to be the G. I could have afforded to lease/finance a BMW or something, used the cash savings to save and purchase my G outright. Never owe, if you can afford not to (that goes for people and money).

I taught myself how to work very very very hard. It has put me in the hospital for stress, I am 34. I am now teaching myself how to relax, and the G is my drug of choice. The kids will not get what I didn't have as a kid. If they do well, we help them get along. They will not get an all expenses paid trip to happy land. They will need to achieve and succeed on their own. They know nobody owes them anything, other than the paycheck they earn ... (right now that is measured by their grades in school)

When able to drive, they will receive safe and adequate transportation, not a 20K + car, and def not NEW. They can look forward to those payments on their own post-university. If they choose not to go to university, then that money i have put away for that purpose goes back into my pocket and will not be used as a nest egg to F around with. That's life.

-Ted

Omar 03-02-2005 08:15 PM

I can empathize with you from a parent's standpoint, but situations are different for every family. For me, my father (single parent), my sis, and I have struggled for over 12 years as we went from a small apartment to a nicer apartment to a town house to a house to (dad laid off) living with relatives to owning a home again. We have been through it all as a family and I feel we have endured and learned what it means to persevere together. Not to the full extent of me actually paying for the bills, but going through the financial hardships with my family has definately taught me to be humble. We endure adversity as a family and we embrace happiness and wealth as a family.

LivyathanZero 03-02-2005 08:41 PM

have worked for BMW for 5 years now to be able to afford nice toys do not receive financial help from my parents to be able to pay for my G or my townhouse. I am spoiled for being 24 but I do it myself. I pay all of my bills and buy what I want and/or need. sometimes I feel bad for those who are much younger, don't have to pay for anything, and get anything they want from their parents. they'l go through life and never know how great a feeling it is to hear on the phone that you've just been approved for the loan for your first new car, a loaded 2004 G35 coupe 6MT.

Finiti35 03-02-2005 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rookie84
I'm sorry but not everyone gets a nice car for getting good grades. Actually, most of the people with amazing grades don't get anything other than scholarship from school. You never earned anything until you buy it with your OWN MONEY. When you work hard, you do get things in return: you get a better job and better knowledge when you are done with school. To say you "earned" it by making good grades doesn't sound right to me. I am in similar situation and most of my friends are immigrants, so I understand the culture. Just don't try to convince yourself that you earned it and see it as a gift from your father, because it is... without your father, you wouldn't have gotten anything for getting good grades from someone. Just wanted to point it out.

Great point. I come from a family of immigrants too, I moved to this country 3.5 years ago with pretty much only my shirt on my back and not even a high school diploma. As of right now I am barely of legal drinking age but supported myself through college and graduated Magna Cum Laude in 3 years. I don't know how your parents' wealth or any incentives they give you has anything to do with your grades or ambition to do well. My parents have not invested $1 in my education, much less bought me a car, they didn't even wish to attend my graduation. But that didn't stop me from getting a 3.89 and I haven't even told them that I'm buying a G35. Oh and btw this comes from a girl and no, I don't have a rich b/f...

I don't hate those of you guys who are fortunate enough to get your cars as a gift from your parents. I'm actually glad for you because you didn't have to wait for one year to get this car as in my case. I don't wish that to anyone.

hawkinsmc 03-02-2005 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiksilverj810
My dad bought me a new 05 coupe MT couple months back. In my school they call me "spoiled". But i dont think i am i put 10 g's for the down payment and my dad did the rest. I forget to mention he is a manger at a infiniti dealership, so we got a pretty good discount on the car.

Ok lets be real here, you are spoiled! I'm not saying that is good or bad, and I am not passing judgment on you, but the fact is you are spoiled. Let's call a spade a spade. I'm guessing you earned that 10g's from a part time job or something. Most people have to use their money to buy food and put a roof over their heads. You are just lucky that you are in the financial position that you can take all your money and put it towards your car.

I think the general concensus here from us "older" members is that anyone in highschool or even out of highschool that are still recieving financial assistance from their parents and are able to afford a $35k+ car is spoilled. I'm not that old (33) my first car was a 74 VW beattle, and I thought I was the luckiest kid around (even though there were many at my school driving bimmers). I got a Honda civic when I went to college (once again feeling like the luckiest kid around). Which I drove until I got my G. I graduated 3 yrs ago from Dental school and finally felt like I was in the possition to afford this car. So the bottom line is, yes, you are spoiled and that's ok, as long as you are not a spoiled brat!

I forgot to mention my Dad is the OWNER of an Infiniti dealership, along with 6 others, so I got a pretty good discount on the car also.