G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Catch Can Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Catch Can Questions

Hello Everyone, My son is in the military and will be away from home for about 2 years. I thought I would work on his 2004 G35 while he is away. I've just started to research some of the issues that are common with this car and just like most of the postings I have seen, my son's car burns oil. I've seen quite a few postings about catch cans and wanted to see if I can get a few questions answered.

1: Do I need a vented catch can?
2: Do I need a catch can that is baffled?
3: Do I need to only install a catch can that catches to oil vapors from the passenger PCV valve or do I need to install one that catches the vapors from both the passenger and drivers side valve covers?
4: Is there a kit that anyone could recommend that catches both the passenger side AND drivers side vapors? I think if I'm going to install a catch can, I may as well install one that catches both unless anyone feels this is unnecessary.

It seems like there are hundreds of posts/videos and each one is different. I seen very expensive custom systems and hacked together systems using parts form Home Depot. I just need someone to give me a straight answer regarding the best system that does not cost a ton of money. I'd like to stay under $200 if possible but if I have to spend the money to get the right system, I am willing to do that.

Also, I'd like to replace the factory air system. Is K&N the way to go? Just wondering because their replacement air system runs about $350.00.

There are a lot of things I want to do this car so I'm sure I'll be asking a bunch of questions in the near future.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The following users liked this post:
Fastmodz (08-14-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
K&N is NOT the way to go. Stay away from filters the you have to oil. Try AEM, amsoil or R2C.

Just get a Z-tube, and if his car is 6MT, keep the stock filter box as it's really dam good from the factory. If his car is an auto, keep the stock box still but swap the half with the velocity stack to one from a 6MT.

The following users liked this post:
Fastmodz (08-14-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 11:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
What oil are you using, if you are using synthetic then the very FIRST thing I would do is switch back to the factory Nissan oil. I had massive OC issues with synthetic but almost nothing with conventional.

The only way to determine if you need to catch can BOTH banks is to pop the upper plenum intake off and visually check for oil residue inside the plenum. You can check the driver side easily enough since it routes into the intake pipe, you may be sucking oil past the rings and the PCV system may not be an issue. I read somewhere about high vacuum issues on the motor with the 6MT transmission and downshifting to slow the vehicle actually increases the OC problem.

I installed a single in-out baffled catch can (mishimoto baffled), non-vented, routed back to the intake. I catch a fair amount each oil change (little less than 1 cup) but I drive hard, lots of freeway on-ramps and such. I had no oil being sucked up bank2 (intake side one).

Old 08-13-2017, 11:38 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Cool, looking out. I was in the Air Force for about 9 years total.

I'd stick with stock it's not worth the extra 350 dollars. If it's an auto, I think you can buy the REVUP air box from a later year. I'm not familiar with all the differences between the years. The oil filters are annoying to take care of and there is rumors that they can mess up the MAF sensor, although K&N has claimed it's untrue.

The PCV system just connects into the passenger side valve cover and then has baffles inside that are not serviceable. People build their own using some tubing and air compressor filter I think.

If his car is burning oil, I would make sure the pistons are good and check the spark plugs for oil. If they are leaking then you might want to spend that 350 dollars towards a new valve cover instead.

Again, depending if it's an auto or MT I'd look into the Motordyne spacer. That is one of the cheapest/easiest mods you can do for your buck. I'd look for an intake tube from a 350Z.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the info. This gives me a direction to go.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If your intent with the catch can is helping to cut down oil consumption, I'll let you know it doesn't. It will help keep the internals of the engine cleaner and thereby serve a purpose. As mentioned above conventional oil will help in some cases and don't spend several hundred dollars on an aftermarket air intake. They work great on some cars but almost all sold for the G suck in hot air and actually decrease HP. And don't believe the hype about the K&N filters destroying the MAF. When used properly they are fine and the stock airbox was designed well to be as efficient as possible.

Welcome to the family and enjoy your stay. We are the premiere site on the web for all things G and have a lot of very knowledgeable members along with our share of yahoos lol. When you have time spend some time poking around on here reading and you will learn a lot about your son's car. And I speak for the forum in saying that we are grateful for your son's service to our country, you must be a proud dad........

Old 08-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
When I went into the service I solved the issues you're having with your Sons car, I sold mine! Being away from home, going thru training and then combat changes your perspective on what's cool or not! His G35 is using oil, only an engine rebuild is going to change that. Catch cans keep VQ's internals cleaner, won't stop oil consumption caused by Nissan using cheap Chinese oil rings!
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.