G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Pre-Turbo Installs

Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-Turbo Installs

Been preparing to drop a couple grand into my engine. New intake, manifold, plenum spacers, and exhaust to be more exact. I've seen some g's do this and with a good tune get about 325-350hp easy. Just curious as to what internally some of those who have already turbo'd their g's recommend I change after cause I might do it in the future. I have about 110k miles (don't know if that affects anything)

Old 09-10-2017, 09:19 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Your numbers are a little unrealistic if you're talking WHP, the high end of HP for a NA motor is ~300WHP, if you're talking BHP then factor 15% for drivetrain losses for MT, 20% for AT.

Adding forced induction to a motor with 100k on the clock isn't going to last long, my gut feeling is ~20k before it's smoked, internals on a fresh motor are good for ~400WHP but realistically the SC kits only make about 375WHP, turbo kits have a potential for more but the risk is higher for a kaboom due to MUCH more torque potential at low rpm's and the non-linear way a turbo produces power (and all the variables that comes with it). A ballpark idea of what a basic turbo kit will produce would be somewhere around 450WHP or more depending on boost obviously.

A full rebuild or a pre-assembled stage1 VQ is highly recommended if you're seriously going the FI route, that would be stout enough to handle your FI needs as longs as the work is done properly and doesn't exceed 600WHP, you will be replacing a LOT more components on the vehicle if you want to exceed those numbers...

Old 09-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Your numbers are a little unrealistic if you're talking WHP, the high end of HP for a NA motor is ~300WHP, if you're talking BHP then factor 15% for drivetrain losses for MT, 20% for AT.

Adding forced induction to a motor with 100k on the clock isn't going to last long, my gut feeling is ~20k before it's smoked, internals on a fresh motor are good for ~400WHP but realistically the SC kits only make about 375WHP, turbo kits have a potential for more but the risk is higher for a kaboom due to MUCH more torque potential at low rpm's and the non-linear way a turbo produces power (and all the variables that comes with it). A ballpark idea of what a basic turbo kit will produce would be somewhere around 450WHP or more depending on boost obviously.

A full rebuild or a pre-assembled stage1 VQ is highly recommended if you're seriously going the FI route, that would be stout enough to handle your FI needs as longs as the work is done properly and doesn't exceed 600WHP, you will be replacing a LOT more components on the vehicle if you want to exceed those numbers...
I was talking 350 at the fly, and I didn't plan on keeping the car for 2-3 more years. I was gonna do the first set of mods and maybe see how I like the difference and if I feel like after a year or so its not enough then try to boost it but only 20k before it dies lol maybe I should just do a rebuild and have some real fun! How much does an average rebuild run for? just curious lol

Old 09-10-2017, 11:10 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'm just pulling numbers out based on experience, the wear and tear from the last 100k miles on your vehicle might not be that much. If it's in perfect running order with no valve train issues, no rod knock, no oil consumption then you might well get double the expected life (or even more depending on the level of abuse after FI).

In practice it's generally a bad idea to add forced induction for any motor with more than 60k miles but there are MANY factors that make up that ballpark figure.

Definitely start with all those NA power adders, you will want them anyways.

A rebuild is expensive and very time consuming if you do it yourself, plus it requires a very high level of precision. This motor is one of the more difficult ones to rebuild and when mine starts to die I will probably just order a long block to save time. The cost savings are minimal compared to doing it yourself unless you have access to a full machine shop and aren't paying for all the millwork.

I haven't checked price but it's probably around 4k new, 3.5k if you did it yourself. Another option is to simply buy a low mile motor from a reputable source for about 1.5k and just make sure you aren't going to exceed 400whp.

The following users liked this post:
Ceedagr8 (11-07-2017)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.