G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Lower Control Arm Bushing Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower Control Arm Bushing Issue

Hello,

I have a 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe w/ 115,000 miles. The control arms have never been replaced. I hope to daily drive this car for another 5-7 years, or ~85,000 miles.

I recently took my car to the dealer to get an alignment done, but since the bushings had gone bad on the lower control arm (on the left side), alignment was impossible. The arm won't sit properly on the bushing because the bushings are shot. There is no rust or cracking on any of the control arms, but the wheel does occasionally shake if it hits a really bad pothole at high speed.

My question, based on my preferences and problems, is: what should I do?

Should I replace both lower control arms on both sides of the car?

or

Should I replace the entire control arm assembly (both lowers and the upper control arms) on both sides of the car?

I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the upper control arms since the ball joints might go bad soon. However, when you lift the car and push the wheel in, there is no noticeable give.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Wacky, this subject has been discussed ad nauseam because it's one of the most common repairs our cars need when they get up there in mileage. Head over to the suspension section and search your heart out, you'll find plenty of answers.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:20 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
A good rule of thumb is to always replace parts as a set, if you do one side then just do them both, there is 115k miles on them both but only one is showing signs of wear, do you want to do the other side next year when you get alignment done again or just tackle them both right now while you have the vehicle up in the air.

Most aftermarket bushing manufacturers offer an "essentials" kit for the most commonly worn bushings on a vehicle, it might be worth buying an entire kit like this since that LCA bushing is just the tip of the iceberg and you plan on keeping the vehicle for a number of years.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bushings that go out the most on our cars is the lower control arm bushings, Compression Arm bushings, and the Differential Bushing. Whiteline offers them as an "essential kit". Definitely recommend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.