G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Please help - not starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by KARMA_G35
Well, seems as though the thermostat replacement did not fix the over heating issue. It over heated for a short period of time yesterday. It's really off and on- it over heats like once a week (but never to the top of the HOT gauge).

I've noticed that the driver side fan is never on - even when the car is over heating. I'm guessing this is my culprit? Passenger side fan spins fine. Just wanted to get someone else's input before I replace these suckers this evening. Looks like it'll be an easy remove/install.

EDIT: Is there anyway I could check to make sure the over heating isn't because of air trapped in the coolant system? I read somewhere that if you remove the radiator cap, let the car get to normal operating temp, and notice bubbles, than you've got trapped air. I've also read that it would over heat more frequently than once a week if the cause is trapped air. Please advise.
Why don't you follow the troubleshooting steps in the FSM?

Telcoman

Old 10-13-2017, 06:07 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by KARMA_G35
Well, seems as though the thermostat replacement did not fix the over heating issue. It over heated for a short period of time yesterday. It's really off and on- it over heats like once a week (but never to the top of the HOT gauge).

I've noticed that the driver side fan is never on - even when the car is over heating. I'm guessing this is my culprit? Passenger side fan spins fine. Just wanted to get someone else's input before I replace these suckers this evening. Looks like it'll be an easy remove/install.

EDIT: Is there anyway I could check to make sure the over heating isn't because of air trapped in the coolant system? I read somewhere that if you remove the radiator cap, let the car get to normal operating temp, and notice bubbles, than you've got trapped air. I've also read that it would over heat more frequently than once a week if the cause is trapped air. Please advise.
The fans are notorious issues on our cars. Test the relays to see if they're getting power but most likely the fans themselves are the issue. At 137K miles mine went out, first the driver's side then the passenger. For $90 shipped to my door I got a whole fan assembly from RockAuto and it took about 30 minutes to swap the new one in. Maybe the easiest DIY i have done on the car.

Signs you still have air in the system are cold/cool radiator hoses (usually the lower), heat not working in the cabin, air bubbles coming out of the bleed screw in the engine bay and so on. The G is notoriously hard to bleed, using a Lisle funnel when you are refilling the coolant is highly recommended. Also jacking up the front end of the car while bleeding will help as well.

The following users liked this post:
KARMA_G35 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did go ahead and successfully replace the fans; driver side fan now works. So that's fixed.

Only problem I have now is that I need to bleed air from the coolant system and my bleeder valve screw is stripped from previous owner. Suggestions?

Would the spill-free funnel work to bleed the system without the bleeder valve? I've even read of people just letting the car idle with heat all the way up and letting it burp itself? Looking for cheapest option (I've spent enough on this car, lol). Any ideas?

Greatly appreciated!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.