G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Should I fix oil leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Thanks for the input. I've decided to go the route of replacing the valve covers anyway since I don't know the condition of the spark plug tubes. I'm expecting to find at least one spark plug seal leaking. I love working on my car, but I only want to get in there once. With my luck the tubes would start leaking after I replace the gasket. I plan on running the car till the day it dies so I'm sure it'll happen eventually. I'm also going oem route since there's not much info on ebay valve covers.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Looking over the FSM, it says not to reuse the intake manifold gaskets. They are metal, correct? All the diy on valve covers don't mention replacing it. If they come off in good condition, should I still replace them? Just want to know in advance so I can save some money ordering online. They are double the price at the local auto parts store. Thanks again for all the input. I like to look over every detail before diving into a project

Attached Thumbnails Should I fix oil leak?-screenshot-142-.png  
Old 03-10-2018, 10:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Just reuse them, people have been successfully doing so for a long time now. Obviously if they looks trashed when you pull the upper manifold off you should replace but they're probably just fine. Lots of things like that are a "cover your ***" sort of precautionary measure the dealership uses in case something does go wrong with it so they aren't dealing with angry customers. Even so far as things like the axle and propeller shaft bolts/lockwasher/nut can be reused. They're not even torque to yield bolts! I do toss the lockwashers if they show any sign of deformation however.

The following users liked this post:
FreshLikeAG (03-10-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Update: I ended up buying ebay valve covers and they worked fine. I couldnt find much info on any non oem covers. Saved over $300 going this route. I'll probably put it towards premium gas (joke for those complainimg about premium lately)

Old 04-25-2018, 11:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
wonder how the ebay ones are going to hold up after a year. Seems crazy they whole set with gaskets is only 50 bucks compared to the even crazier OEM price.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:54 PM
Another member here has had them for over a year and said they are holding up just fine. I was concerned about the price also but they were a perfect match side by side. Found no oil in the oem ones so now I have a backup

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.