G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Performance wheel package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance wheel package

Anyone get this? I was going to get this package, but I read the tires are considerd "summer tires" and are not meant for use in snow. I guess this means rain too. This is kinda important to me because I live in a mountaneous area that gets a lot of rain.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2005, 02:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, summer doesn't imply anything about rain. It's just talking about temperatures. From what I read, the Pilot Sports are actually pretty good in the rain. I can vouch for that, as it rains a lot here in Oregon/Washington =)

FWIW, earlier, someone who worked at a tire shop said that "summer" is defined by the tire companies as daytime temperatures >= 60 degree F, and nighttime temperatures >= 50 degrees.

Personally, I have noticed my tires to be squirly when it was in the lower to mid 40's. But it's not like your tires will turn into ice cubes if it gets cold out. You just have to be more careful. However, these tires do not have any sort of siping on them, so even if it snows 1/8 inch, DO NOT DRIVE on those tires.

Last edited by avs007; 03-04-2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:35 AM
it has nothing to do with temp.it means they are not designed to be used in the snow.the tread pattern is not good for traction in the snow.they probably grip fine in the rain.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:36 AM
G2G
They are still good in the cold the only problem I have had is when it snows. Very little traction. Rain is no problem.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Go here, and look 5 paragraphs up from the bottom. The traction rating on the sidewall indicates the tires wet traction, not dry, as you might expect. Yes, summer tires should be OK in the wet. In addition, there is now an AA rating.

Lou

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/tec...9/article.html

Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
The car is fine in the rain.

The G is not a good car in the Winter. I hope it does not snow much in those mountains. I don't drive it when it snows. If it does snow a lot I hope you are planning on getting a G35x AWD Sedan or a second car for the Winter for when it does snow.

You do know the G is RWD? Probably, since you just about have the car picked out.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:28 PM
thats all well and good about summer tires....

WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO with the 19s that are on my coupe ?

ugh no all-seasons made for 19" rims yet.

rim change isnt an option.

NJ >60 >50 is less then 3 months out of the year

aww well

ppp

Old 03-04-2005, 01:11 PM
these tires work perfectly in the rain but don't bother taking it in the snow, from personal experiences this car sucks like **** in the snow.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Actually, the temperature is a big factor in tire use. Summer tires are designed for summer temps, which means the rubber gets very hard in winter temperatures. The winter tires, if you notice during summer time, seem very "gummy" this is because the rubber compund is designed to stay soft during colder temperatures, and help get better traction since tires that are as hard as hockey pucks are useless. Also, winter tires have 2-3 times more "biting" or "rough" edges to help get the car gripping in snow/ice conditions. I consider all season tires to be useless, since they are not actually "good" for any season....should be named "no seasons". As for summer tires, the manufacturers know that in summer time, you may get a lot of rain, this is why summer tires often have "v-shaped" grooves in them to steer the rain away from being under the tire. I do not recommend using all seasons on 19 rims ever, nevermind in the winter. hope this helps guys!

ps- taking this further, you notice that R-compound tires are designed to be used in extreme performance driving conditions, and operate at a higher temp [ie- track temperatures] which is why you need to warm them up before trying to drive the hell out of them.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:00 PM
This car does fine in the snow - you just need a set of dedicated wheels/snow tires. For the poster with 19" wheels, you absolutely can do a wheel change, just for the winter. A set of (cheaper) 17" aftermarket wheels with a good set of snows, like the Blizzaks or Dunlop Winter Sports (I have those and they work quite well), should fit and get you through just fine, as long as the snow isn't > 5-6".

WRT temperature, it's not as if at 50 all of a sudden the tires become ice cubes, but they gradually become less and less plastic/pliable as the temp drops. So, even if there is no snow on the ground, a "summer" tire will not grip as well when the temp is very low.

And, as 951kid mentioned, the treads in your tire are for moving standing water away from the gripping surface, so if it didn't rain, you wouldn't need treads at all. Look at racing slicks...no treads there!

Old 03-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Obsessive Owner
I have the stock 17s and i live on Cape Cod, MA. Coincidentally the year i got my G coupe we have gotten more snow dumped on us this winter than we EVER have before. I was pretty excited, personally..haha. I have the stock Eagle RS-A's on the wheels.I havent been able to drive my car for 3 weeks of the winter, at least, because of the massive blizzard we got, combined with the other snow storms. The G is terrible in the snow. Not only willl you bottom out on the snow, trying to accelerate on snow = not possible. I was thinking about keeping these tires on untill they wear out. I was then planning on buying some 19's with summer tires for 6 months of the year, and then keeping the 17s with winter tires. Do you think this would be smart, or should I buy a set of summer tires and winter tires for my 17s, which ofcourse would be a lot less expensive. Thanks for any advice guys!

Old 03-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Just get 2 sets. Rims go through such a beating in the winter with salt and sand. You really dont have that much time to be cleaning your rims etc during the winter, so it would increasingly hard to keep your 17's in concourse condition after a couple of winters. These cars look so good with 19's anyways, just go that route. Plus, when you factor in paying for tire changes 2x every yr, its not as cheap as it sounds, plus its an added PITA.