G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I知 lost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I知 lost

ive purchased a 2004 g35 from a lady that left it sitting for years. The problem I have right not is when I drive it, first it smells like burning oil and sweet like coolant. I also think there is mis-fire because it shakes the car while idle. I replaced oil, and coolant, changed spark plugs. While removing the spark plugs cyl6 had some oil so I replaced the driver side valve cover, and also had to relearn the throttle because I had disconnected it.

Update: the car is running but takes forever to accelerate, I floor it and it痴 as fast as a 4cyl Engine now. Also I hear nosies from my exhaust, sounds like maybe metal or rocks coming out .

Any tips for me to check or maybe something i might have missed? What is the correct way to relearn a throttle? Should I replace something?

Last edited by AznKevDo; 06-20-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Welcome to the G35 Driver Forums!

Sitting for years, how long? It's important you change all fluids, oil and radiator were a good start! How about the AT, fluid change s/b a priority! Have your cooling system "Pressure Checked" for leaks, chances are good you should also replace all hoses/belts too! Another concern w/b crud in the gas tank messing with your injectors!
Good Luck, sounds like you have an adventure ahead...enjoy the ride!
Gary

Old 06-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Lots of misfires on here comin up all of a sudden. Did you check your coil packs/compression for damage? Things smelling like coolant with no visible leaks can't be a good sign....

Old 06-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Sitting for years, how long? It's important you change all fluids, oil and radiator were a good start! How about the AT, fluid change s/b a priority! Have your cooling system "Pressure Checked" for leaks, chances are good you should also replace all hoses/belts too! Another concern w/b crud in the gas tank messing with your injectors!
Good Luck, sounds like you have an adventure ahead...enjoy the ride!
Gary
for about 3 years and if I change it how much new fluid does it take, what type of fluid? ATF-4?

Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Lots of misfires on here comin up all of a sudden. Did you check your coil packs/compression for damage? Things smelling like coolant with no visible leaks can't be a good sign....
I致e replaced cyl6 with a used coil pack. But that didn稚 seem to help, cyl6 is the one I originally had oil in.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by AznKevDo

I’ve replaced cyl6 with a used coil pack. But that didn’t seem to help, cyl6 is the one I originally had oil in.
Just because it had oil in it does NOT mean that the coil pack was bad. Cyl6 is common to have oil in it because of the spark plug well seal. With the engine running, unplug ONE of the coil packs. If the idle gets worse, plug that back in and move to the next one. If the idle stays the same, then there is your culprit. Most likely a bad coil pack.

Also, be sure that when you changed the spark plugs that you plugged the correct wire into the correct coil pack. It's hard to mess these up as the wires aren't super long, but it is possible. I would trace the wires first making sure the correct ones are plugged in to the correct coil pack, and then move on to unplugging them one by one.

As for the exhaust sound, its popping and backfiring. These 2 sounds point to the fact that the car is not running on all cylinders. I'm willing to bet it's a bad coil pack or 2.

EDIT: Is it throwing a Check Engine Light? If so you can run it to any autoparts store and they will scan it for free. That will at least give you something to trace. Also, pressure test your coolant system like Gary mentioned. Rent the tool from an auto store, use it, return it and get your money back. Pressure testing mine revealed a massive crack in the OEM rad, which is where my coolant smell was coming from.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Yeah so you'll want to confirm a part is bad before replacing it, otherwise you're just firing the parts cannon wasting money and getting frustrated. But at least you have a new coil pack on hand for when you do find the problem. Oil in the wells doesn't cause problems unless its getting onto the spark plug contacts or its getting so high in the well that it interferes with the electric connection in the coils.

From your original edit it sounds like you have a bad misfire which would point to coils, injectors, or vac leaks if you've already changed the spark plugs. Try unplugging coils one at a time and seeing if one or more of them doesn't change idle when it is unplugged.

If you keep driving the car like that you'll blow out your catalytic converters, the popping is the sound of fuel igniting inside of them.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Thanks to everyone who committed trying to help me, I致e ended up taking everything apart and put it all back together, one major mistake that I made was messing up the ignition wires, coil 4 and 6 were mixed up, I don稚 know what I was thinking by turns out the fit either way and I think it was easy to get mixed up. Best advice to anyone with this problem, number the harness that connects to the coils.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:08 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah Nissan finally caught onto this as well and later G's they already have factory numbering on them.