G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Strut advice - which brands to buy / avoid

Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
'06 Pearl White Coupe Manual
Strut advice - which brands to buy / avoid

Looking for advice / opinions on what struts to use when I lower my coupe this spring.

Will be lowering on H&R Springs (1" drop) and obviously tokico's are out of the question.

Not sure I wanna shell out 1400 for a set of Koni Yellows.

Is there a nice in-between option you guys recommend?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:25 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilli
Looking for advice / opinions on what struts to use when I lower my coupe this spring. Will be lowering on H&R Springs (1" drop) and obviously tokico's are out of the question. Not sure I wanna shell out 1400 for a set of Koni Yellows. Is there a nice in-between option you guys recommend?
Before you spend your $$ on lowering do a Search using the word Lowering, find out what's required and how expensive it is to do right! No you don't want Tokico's, they're expensive and mine lasted less than 3 years before developing leaks which can't be repaired since they're no longer in our country! Koni is a great name in shocks, just NOT for our streets...way to harsh! Check our Marketplace for a shock with a factory ride, just NOT the two we've discussed!
Gary

Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
My inexpensive KYB struts ride acceptably on potholed Maine roads with 19"s and it handles great. I've heard slightly stiffer than factory which is what I wanted. My 2 cents if you're going to spend all the extra money on a trick shock/strut combo, all of the mounting hardware/boots, camber kits, etc you might as well just buy coilovers. Or go with KYBs and spend the difference on sways.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
My inexpensive KYB struts ride acceptably on potholed Maine roads with 19"s and it handles great. I've heard slightly stiffer than factory which is what I wanted. My 2 cents if you're going to spend all the extra money on a trick shock/strut combo, all of the mounting hardware/boots, camber kits, etc you might as well just buy coilovers. Or go with KYBs and spend the difference on sways.
Good idea, KYB shocks will work well and give you a factory ride! All those high $$ shocks offer only one thing for the street, uncomfortable stiff ride not the best for wives or girl friends!
Gary

Old 01-17-2019, 10:56 AM
thanks for the insight guys

Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 AM
just ordered the KYB's from here in Canada... next step... telling the wife i spent more $$ on the car

Old 01-17-2019, 11:24 AM
thanks for the insight guys
Did you look into the cost of lowering your G35? It's not only about the cost of springs/shocks but adjustable a-arms to bring your alignment back to factory specs! If you decide to ignore the need for the adjustable a-arms like some do you'll be buying new tires every 10K miles or sooner! And then finding anyone that has the ability to align altered suspension vehicles, another nightmare!
Gary

Old 01-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Did you look into the cost of lowering your G35? It's not only about the cost of springs/shocks but adjustable a-arms to bring your alignment back to factory specs! If you decide to ignore the need for the adjustable a-arms like some do you'll be buying new tires every 10K miles or sooner! And then finding anyone that has the ability to align altered suspension vehicles, another nightmare!
Gary
Yup, IM aware of the costs and what is needed.

Already bought set of adjustable control arms from a member on this site - https://g35driver.com/forums/steerin...tion-arms.html

H&R springs I already have (mild 1" drop). Now Ill have the struts and IM looking at a rear swaybar upgrade (and maybe front brace) to get rid of some of the body roll... Someone else suggested looking at worn bushings too, so Ill check all that once I tear into it this spring when it comes out of storage. She only has 47,000 Miles (and only summer driven) so not sure how bad the bushings may be. Guess time will tell.

Now, I may be a bit ignorant about the difficulty in alignment, as I assumed with the adjustable arms etc they should be able to get it back to pre-lowering specs. DO standard alignment shops not have the tools / know how or? I have a mechanic I've been using for 15+ years that I trust so im confident in that sense, but if that is more specialty type work Ill have to factor that in.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Only 47k miles, but rubber becomes weaker with age, you'll find that even if they look good now they'll deteriorate rapidly once you start driving it in a sporty manner. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble and notice a nice improvement if you replace everything with poly bushings while it's all apart.

"normal" OE street cars normal shops are used to dealing with generally only have one or two alignment adjustment points per axle. When you add a bunch more adjust-ability the techs there might not know which ones to adjust to get the numbers where they need to be. Better alignment shops can also suggest alignment settings which might improve performance for your specific setup.

I have an unlimited alignment deal at VIP auto, I just keep going back over and over again to different locations until I find a tech who seems like a smart guy after talking to him!

Old 01-19-2019, 09:26 AM
Yup, IM aware of the costs and what is needed.

Already bought set of adjustable control arms from a member on this site - https://g35driver.com/forums/steerin...tion-arms.htmlH&R springs I already have (mild 1" drop). Now Ill have the struts and IM looking at a rear swaybar upgrade (and maybe front brace) to get rid of some of the body roll... Someone else suggested looking at worn bushings too, so Ill check all that once I tear into it this spring when it comes out of storage. She only has 47,000 Miles (and only summer driven) so not sure how bad the bushings may be. Guess time will tell.
Now, I may be a bit ignorant about the difficulty in alignment, as I assumed with the adjustable arms etc they should be able to get it back to pre-lowering specs. DO standard alignment shops not have the tools / know how or? I have a mechanic I've been using for 15+ years that I trust so im confident in that sense, but if that is more specialty type work Ill have to factor that in.
All alignment shops have the tools Chilli, it's the knowledge and ability that comes into question! I had a friend/mechanic that had always done a great job until it came to aligning modified suspensions, he never got it close!
Gary

Old 01-19-2019, 10:36 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Just call around to a few alignment shops and find one that does a lot of work on either sports cars or lowered cars.