Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol, I just noticed that as well, ninice catch

Old 07-10-2005, 02:18 PM
weight loss

Loose weight isn't easy. But I think loosing 300lbs static weight is realistic.

In preping my next drag trip where I am planning to get bellow 14.5.
(currently 14.8 @94 with spare/jack)

I have just removed front battery cover
Engine cover & OEM G-tube. Thess 3 piece weight together 5.5 lbs.
I put on a Carbon Fiber Z-tube(1 lb). On top of the perfoemance gain from the Z-tube, I lost 4.5 lbs.
Ordered Optima D51R (26 lbs vs. stock 46 lbs). 20lb weight loss.
The above will reduce my front end weight by about 25lbs.
Remoev All carpet, Spare/jack & leave only 1/4 tank gas. reduce 75 lbs total. Theses weight loss along should be about 100lbs & give me
.1 gain in 1/4 run.

Now comes the more important weight loss:

Just bout 15lb Forged whells on ebay, Roja Formular 7,17x7,
These will go on to my stock tires & make a 15+25=40lb combo.

Note my current wheel/tyre is 24lb(18x4 PICC Super Rozza 2 piece) + 29 lb tires = 53lb. This is 13lb weight loss per corner & total of 52lb loss of Rotating Mass. This equals 52x4=208lb static weight loss.
The result should be a 1/4 mile gain of .2

I am confident that these Gains should bring me to 14.5 target 1/4 mile time.

Now, I also ordered the 10 wire groundi8ng kit.

I am not sure this kit will make 1/4 faster or slower, because it help the shift
at redline but gaing several lbs of weight.

Any ideas? Should I put the wires or not?

Old 07-10-2005, 06:40 PM
I imagine that the overall efficiency gained by adding the wires will be greater than their weight. The question in this thread is will you gain if you lose weight, and the answer is most definitely yes, but the problem is, will you be able to tell the difference? This depends on the sensitivity of the driver. Most of us will not be able to feel a 50 pound weight reduction, but an experienced driver, who knows his car can. Try this little test... go do a couple 0-60 or 0-75 runs and get an overall feel for the car. Then go back home and throw something heavy in the back seat or better yet the passenger seat ( like a 5 gallon cooler of water or a bunch of books) (if you put it in the back it will just add traction and dilute the results). If you don't have something heavy get someone to ride with you. Now go back out and do the same test. I know when ever my 6'5 235lb brother rides with me there is a huge difference in acceleration and overall performance. If you can feel a noticeable difference with 50 lbs then...remove your spare tire, jack, and carpet. ( I hope you have AAA, because when you remove the tire you know your doomed to have a flat). If you have second thoughts about removing your carpet then you really must not be too worried about losing weight. Put it this way who is really looking in your trunk anyway, but then again the down side to this is your losing weight over your rear tires, which will result in a lose of traction ( unless your going from a roll). And if you actually read all of this….I’M SORRY. I will never write this much again. O yeah and there is two types of weight on a vehicle …Sprung and Unsprung…don’t ask me to explain this…it deserves a whole nuther thread….damn my physics honors professor for making me say that.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow I remember when I started this thread, I ended up cleaning out the 150 pounds of crap in my trunk lol! I like the idea of lightwieght rims etc. But I think keeping the car clean, and a diet (I'm now 195-200). I rarely fill up at the gas tank (annoying but it works). Just a few things I do to keep my car kicking before I dive into the mods

Old 07-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
Wow I remember when I started this thread, I ended up cleaning out the 150 pounds of crap in my trunk lol! I like the idea of lightwieght rims etc. But I think keeping the car clean, and a diet (I'm now 195-200). I rarely fill up at the gas tank (annoying but it works). Just a few things I do to keep my car kicking before I dive into the mods
I've heard lightweight wheels help a lot. Keep that unsprung weight down!

Pull off the A/C compressor.
Replace your battery with a set of jumper cables

Old 07-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I took my friend for a ride today and he is about 235 pounds, and I could definitely feel the difference. At first I couldn't understand why the car felt so bogged down, but then I looked to the right....ha ha ha ha.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:18 PM
There is a big difference to be gained from losing weight. I raced my friend's 350z in my old Evo when I had a 200lb passenger + his 14 lb bowling ball. I got walked from a roll.... ouch. I dropped the friend off and raced the 350z again... and WON from a roll. I honestly couldn't really feel the difference on my butt dyno, but my friend's ego felt the difference. lol

Now... weight savings that don't kill the luxurious aspects of this car? There's tons of stuff to do...

lighter rims, lightweight flywheel, carbon fiber driveshaft (or do we already have one???), carbon fiber hood, quarter panels, trunk... and that's just getting you started. I say you're not going down a whacko path... keep functionality AND lose weight. That's cool. And you will notice the difference. It will also help your gas mileage, since you won't be toting around as much weight!! Go for it and good luck!!

Old 07-10-2005, 07:40 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Easiest is to remove spare tire, tools, and junk in the trunk. 1/2 tank of gas or less.
C.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
OPTIMA D51R weight vs OEM battety

I thought someone said OEM battery weight 46lbs. & Optima Battery D51R saves 20lbs. I just got my D51R, It's 26lbs. Great, & I replaced the OEM battery & weighted it. , Surpricingly, It's only 36lbs, not 46lbs.

So the weight loss for replacing the batterys is only 10lbs, not 20lbs.
The D51R battery looks great & so far works well. Let's see if it could handle the cold snowy winter of Miane.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Anyone notice how J-train and Wizza are replying in the SAME post? Is this weird or what????

Aren't they the same guy. Didn't Madchef just bust this guy for multiple posting under both aliases in this thread.

It seems as if he would be schizophrenic or something if he's replying to his own threads as someone else...

Old 07-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by ma_sha1
I thought someone said OEM battery weight 46lbs. & Optima Battery D51R saves 20lbs. I just got my D51R, It's 26lbs. Great, & I replaced the OEM battery & weighted it. , Surpricingly, It's only 36lbs, not 46lbs.

So the weight loss for replacing the batterys is only 10lbs, not 20lbs.
The D51R battery looks great & so far works well. Let's see if it could handle the cold snowy winter of Miane.
That's good to know, I was going to do this, but now I'm not sure it's worth it. This is not a cheap battery, how much did you pay?

Old 07-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Optima has always been about having a no-hassle battery for me. They've suited my needs well and have been the last battery I've bought on several cars. With anything less, I usually go through 2-3 batteries during ownership... ...one of which is usually the OEM battery within a couple of months after purchase.

Any weight savings is a bonus, but not the reasoning for my purchase. Likewise, being able to mount it any direction, etc. (due to dry-cell construction) hasn't come into play for me.

But the fact that it doesn't have to be vented did come in handy when I mounted one in the trunk of my '55 Chevy Bel Air. I was able to use a nice mount without having to enclose it with a battery-box.

$150 is probably a rough average for what I've paid over the years.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Stage 1 weight reduction: get into some weight lost program first!

Old 08-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey all, I am from the sister forum my350z.com and noticed this thread while I was trying to PM someone on here

Anyways, every pound does count and I was able to get my Z below 3000lbs

http://rickdogg.onlineshowoff.com

Old 08-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Drive around with half a tank, that'll save you 70 lb's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction