G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Got my first ticket in New Jersey tonight....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last time I got a ticket (86mph in a 65mph - 4 lane hwy), I decided to have some fun.

First, postpone the court date several times. This is perfectly in your right. After 3 times postponing it, maybe you'll get lucky and the cop won't show up in court. Even if he does, Its now been 3 or 4 months so its likely he won't remember you, or the incident.

In court, I made my case similar to above suggestions (Not endangering anyone, going with flow, it was a fast 4 lane hwy, average speed is 77mph on that stretch of hwy - I researched it - etcetc).
When it seemed like my arguments wouldn't make a difference, I respectfully asked the judge; "Your honor, I'd like to make a motion for discovery". With a sneer, he asked me what I wanted to discover.
I responded that I wanted to see:
1. the Speed Detection Device calibration records (It needs to be calibrated every so often, if not, throw the case out),
2. I wanted to see the officers training records on the speed detection device (officers need to be certified every so often, if not, throw the case out),
3. I wanted to see the officers log book for that day. (If the book is not in order; dismissed)
4. Before I went to court, I researched that the officer can only be in specific locations to use a radar gun (like 200 yards away from a bridge, 100 yards from an entry/exit ramp, a certain distance from the nearest Speed Limit sign if the speed limit changed, etc.) All this was ok, so I didn't say anything.

The judge made the officer collect all the information from his office, it took him a good 15-20 minutes, and when he came back, he had a stack of books/papers/logs about 2 feet tall. I went to a side table to look at everything. I didn't really know what I was doing, but it was interesting to look through some of that information anyway.

I ended up paying the ticket (a month later), but I believe it must have cost the court more money in time and resources than the speeding ticket was worth. <--BIG POINT!

If EVERYONE would do this kind of thing - postponing 3 times costs paperwork, cost the court an hour+ of time, make the officer work and collect stuff, etc, - it would become too expensive for the police/courts to give out tickets. EVERYONE needs to take that approach, in my book.
Most people are just sheep, and take 5 minutes to plead guilty and pay the ticket. Why give them a big profit margin like that?

At least research your rights, your options, and take some action. If nothing else, its a great feeling, and informative as well. You should have seen some of the looks I got from the full courtroom of people waiting their turn as I was leaving...
I could just see them say;"uh...yeah...uh..I want to make a motion too...uh..whatever that guy said..."

It was fun.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 PM
i feel you man, i just got my first speeding ticket on rt. 10 in randolph.. how are you getting off w/out points? were you coming off of Mountain Lakes Blvd.? the Mountain Lakes police station is at the first light when you turn onto the blvd! i live like 2 min. from there

seems like a lot of people have been getting tickets lately.. i think it's because the warm weather is almost here and it's time to fix the potholes

i posted this thread on my350z asking for some help: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114748

Old 03-23-2005, 08:50 PM
The Joke about all these “I got a ticket last night” posts are …. You all broke the rules of the road & got busted for it. This is what cops do get over it. Protect our streets for people who drive them safely (with family also). You would rather have the ticket from the cop then see me get out of my car after you crash into the side of me with my 9 month old inside...TRUST ME.

Call the cops anything you like ... Just remember who you call when you’re a$$ is in need of help …..Cry to the police when family needs them or when your car was stolen. Bottom line... Don’t drive like a dikk head

Old 03-23-2005, 08:59 PM
yeah guys...court is definitely the way to go..im probably gonna check out this lawyer as well, thanks infiniti4life ...main goal is to get rid of those points....thanks for the feedback..just wanted to see how others have handled issues like this and what my options would be....

Im not blaming cops or hating them...they're normal people like you and me, but he could've easily seen that my record shows that I am a good driver and obey the law. Doesn't hurt to be a good guy every now and then. Nothing immature about commenting on just trying to run away..it was just words from the heat of the moment, not meant to be taken literally(if anyone was to ever do that, that is just plain nuts)...I wasn't driving reckless or anything..i was the only person on the road, no one else around me.... I just gave it a little go and slowed right down...

thanks for the feedback guys....

Old 03-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey man sorry to hear the news, but this has happened to me many of times. Every time i get a ticket i did like Napoleon and delayed it with the court. I dont know if it is the same everywhere but down here in New orleans the cops never show up for court but when you take it this far in the judicial system the judge lets the case go. I've had it happen to me 6 times already and every time i go to court the cop never comes so the judge throws the case out. maybe it's just my luck, but anyways good luck.