G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 11:48 AM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headlights

There was some discussion on the forum last week regarding how hard it would be to steal the headlights. Apparenlty they are quite difficult to get out.

I just had my right front headlight blow out. I pulled into the Infiniti dealer after work thinking they could just pop in a new bulb in 5 minutes (as has been my prior experience with all my other cars). Their first comment was disblief that the bulb was out, they said, "we've never had one out on a G35 Coupe before." I was the first. I was told I would have to bring the car back another day and leave it. An appointment was set for Saturday. I left my car there all day and at about 4pm. I got a call that they would have to keep the car until Monday because this was the first one of these they have replaced and it was more involved then they originally thought as they have to take-off the front bumper to do it.

This is unbelieveable! Two days in the shop to change a light bulb??. (Just imagine how expensive this will be when the car is no longer under warranty in a few years!).

Does this sound like BS or is it really that big of a job. This is at Miller Infiniti in the LA area, supposedly one of the biggest dealers in the US. All I can say is good thing they give loan cars!!!!!

Old 05-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Headlights

hmm... Sounds like someone's slacking but in a way I pretty much kinda believe it... I did take a look at it when my friends were checking out my lights and we were talking about how his got fogged up (he has a 1st Gen IS300) and he was like damn I bet it's a bitch trying to change lights while looking at them. But it's kinda lame because you would think they would know what they're doing just because they are the one's selling the car's and have mechanic's on buy for problems like this... I guess they were just an unprepaired dealership. Did they hook u up with a loan car at least?

Old 05-19-2003, 01:11 PM

sounds like BS.. or they don't know what they're doing.. i admit it takes a while to get at the lights, but not so long that i would require them to keep the car for 2 days.. professionals should be able to remove the bumper and light housing in 30 minutes or less.. the entire replacement should take 30 minutes to an hour.. i got my bumper off in 15 minutes.. after that the housing is secured by 3 easy to remove bolts.. the only reason why it even took me that long was cuz i hadn't ever taken off the bumper before.. maybe the salesmen themselves are trying to change your bulbs... 2 days is ridiculous..

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 05-19-2003, 01:34 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there another dealer you could go to? Maybe someone with a little more experience. I sure wouldn't like someone 'guinea-piggin' on my G.

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 05-19-2003, 01:37 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

i concur, you dont even have to take out the bumper, it can be accessed from the fenderwell as well!

1 hour TOPS for a trained mechanic. I mean, how difference can one infiniti be from another?

<font color=green>-Leblau Timmaw</font color=green>

Old 05-20-2003, 10:24 AM

sorry to tell you but IMHO the mechanic at Miller that kept your car for 2 days is an idiot. I've already taken the entire headlight out - when I was doing the intake - because I wanted to see if it was possible to change the turn signal lense. First of all - the HID bulb can be accessed and changed via the fenderwell w/o taking the headlight out. 1 hour for both bulbs for a trained mechanic with tools would be more than enough time. Second - you can actually take the entire headlight out with just a few bolts, after you remove the bumper cover, which in itself only takes about 20 minutes. Bottom line - you could replace both headlights in about 3 hours if you knew what you were doing.

Don't feel bad though - I had issues with the brake light on the rear wing leaking and they said they needed the car an entire day to change it out. So I went along - and later realized I could have done the same thing myself in about 1 hour it was so easy.

Sometimes I think it would be easier to have them warranty the parts to me and just do the work myself.

Old 05-21-2003, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Miller's service Dept. is as lame as there sales staff. I'd say take it some where else. Sounds like laziness too me. Any moron with a wrench could take the whole front end apart in a day. There are guys here that have switched out the fog light and said they were able to do it in a few hours with the wheels off. That's there reason why I walk in and right back out 10 minutes later, [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 05-21-2003, 07:58 AM

have you even gotten your G back yet?

Old 05-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Montgomery's Finest

NO way in hell... You could of have figered it out in a couple of minutes..... Even if it envolved thaking of the front grille os bumper...

Old 05-21-2003, 04:30 PM

what?? are you talking about me? i hope not, cuz that's not the right tone to take about something u know nothing about. it literally took me 15 minutes to take off the bumper.. after that, there isn't much else to figure out.. 3 bolts keep the headlight housing attached.. detach the wire harness in the back, and you can play football with the headlight.. just cuz it wouldn't taken you hours or days like that lame mechanic at miller infiniti, don't think i'm too dumb to figure it out, gump.

Old 05-21-2003, 04:37 PM

chill guys.

I think it's a communications error.

gump, you may want to be a little clearer in your thoughts...

It's hard to tell if you're saying "No way in hell you could have figured it out that fast, it's too difficult" or "No way in hell it should take that long, you could have figured it out yourself faster than the dealer"

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 05-21-2003, 06:38 PM

I wish they made our lights Bi-xenon Lights with Projectors somewhat like the 350z.. (except the Z is xenon with projectors)... i dont know why but i am obssessed with projectors... thats one thing what i wish the car came with... Bi-Xenon Projectors... that would make our cars look dammmn sexy!

BaDbOy - "bLaCk BeAuTy"
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=321439

Old 05-21-2003, 06:52 PM

When you use true enclosed Bi-Xenon projectors like the ones found in Audi's or BMW's by law the MFR has to put a motorized unit on the headlight housing that prevents the lights from blinding oncoming drivers when the car is on an incline. This is a considerable added cost I'd assume. I think that is why only see them on more expensive cars for the most part. The lights on the Z from what I have observed are a half enclosed system or hybird. They use a HID bulb similiar to the G's but it shines through a small lense of some type so I don't know if the bulb housing is motorized. Anyway that's my belief as far as the no Bi-Xenons for our G. In fact I don't think I've seen them any many japanese cars at all.
Peace.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 05-21-2003, 08:02 PM

Here is a diagram and instructions that I found.

54159-HeadlightAssy.JPG

Old 05-21-2003, 08:09 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

. maybe the salesmen themselves are trying to change your bulbs...

<hr></blockquote>
Ha, ha, ha, ha! Good One! ...........Wait......maybe it's not a joke!
Dohhhhh!

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
Ordered 4/03: 2003 G35C, 6MT, Blk/Blk. Loaded ETA ~ 6/03

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlights