Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
not yet... but if you give me till the end of the month i will

kthnxbye

Old 05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to put them on my 05' too. I don't see why it would be much different than other G's though.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Sways are the last thing you should do when removing understeer. Tires, springs, sways and shocks are all tuned from the factory to make the car understeer.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
I have put the sways on my 05. Difference is night & day. Im waiting for the tower bars to be finally produced. Th car is not as stable as a bmw, but can handle curves much better.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Superman
That is fantastic news! I had a few concerns with sways for the 05

1) with the new sport suspension, i didn't know if the older sway bars would fit.

2) with the new sport suspension, i heard the swaybars are beefier, so an adjustable rear bar should be all that is required.

And Deang35c6, sway bars is the FIRST thing you do to remove understeer/oversteer. It is the cheapest solution. Bigger tires help in reducing slip, but softening the bar setting of the front, and stiffening the rear will create a more neutral handling. Springs will do virtually nothing if you simply go with a stiffer spring all around. Shocks, provide no change to under/oversteer.
While you're entitled to your beliefs, here's a reference I often use to tune my suspension:

To reduce understeer:
Tires-run lower pressure in the fronts, increase rear pressure in 2 psi increments. Run same sizes all around
springs-OEM rates are staggered to induce understeer during roll transfer, thus increasing front rate as to reduce roll transfer will reduce understeer
shocks-stagger dampening, higher dampening in the rear (Tokico D-specs). Shocks will have almost the same effect as changing spring rates as shocks control the springs, so an adjustable shock will do wonders
Lastly, sways-stiffen rear sway, soften front sways

Many of us here are running 350Z springs, which do a good job in reducing understeer based on their staggered rates. They also lower the car's center of gravity, which reduces body lean. Like I mentioned above, shocks have a profound effect on a car's handling. Staggering dampening and compression between front and rear can induce or reduce understeer as quick as you can adjust the shocks. I only know of one spring/coilover that offers the same spring rates in all four corners and that's the Tein Basic coilover. I do agree that sways are the cheapest and most reversible handling mod, but us serious guys use them lastly to fine tune an already modified suspension. I've substantially reduced understeer with my setup and I haven't installed sways yet. It could be that the '05 springs and shocks and even sways are different than the '03 and '04's, so I'm basing this on the latter. Many guys are using sways only, but it's a guessing game when different manufacturer's increase or decrease harshness in different percentages. You have to keep in mind that rear setting have greater harness settings than the fronts for most aftermarket sway makers. Adding sways to a car whose tires and springs are set to induce understeer from the factory only raises the understeer threshold and not eliminate it, because the car will still nose dive during hard braking due to stock spring rates. Serious buffs like a little throttle induced oversteer. If this is not your goal, then sways are the best answer.

Do you really want to increase rear sway harshness so much as to dial out your understeer? Hotchkis sways added to a car with Tein 350Z S-tech or RSRs for the 350Z should only need be tuned to full soft rear and full soft or medium in the front. Medium setting will leave a little understeer at the limit, while full soft will induce oversteer.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Which leads me to believe that the '05 Coupes have different springs, shock, and maybe even sways.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i heard that the 05's are lowered 1/2", which is the same drop from the Z springs...

maybe they threw on the Z suspension on the G sport suspension package?!

Old 05-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GRider35c
i heard that the 05's are lowered 1/2", which is the same drop from the Z springs...

maybe they threw on the Z suspension on the G sport suspension package?!

I personaly have measured the cars on the dealer lot, they are NOT lower. I walked a tape measure around the lot measuring the just released 05's vs the 04's still on the lot, including a 05 coupe with the sport suspension. None of them were any lower then the others.

Rear shocks do match the revised shocks the 350Z switched to in 04.5, but that's all.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Here's a great site for adjusting your suspension: Linky

Old 05-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
Which leads me to believe that the '05 Coupes have different springs, shock, and maybe even sways.
Not exactly, only the new for 2005 sport suspension (any 05 coupe with oem 19's), not all 05 coupes.

2005 G35 Coupe sport suspension (car must have oem 19's)

Sway's:
we know the car has thicker sway's, but be don't know how much thicker and how they may have tuned them front to rear, for all we know they may have only made the front sway thicker, unknown really.

Shocks:
Stiffer shocks. Of note is the fact that the rear shocks are the same one's Nissan used for the 04.5 350Z suspension revision, including different dustsheilds/bump stops . Front shocks are NOT the same as the revised 350Z suspension

Springs:
Nissan told us that the car has stiffer springs. A member here was nice enough to lend me 2005 coupe sport springs so I could test them for spring rate, because of the kindness of this member, we all benefit. While the front springs are the same rate as the regular coupe suspension at 314lbs, the rear rates went up, from 342 to 427. This matches what Nissan was rumored to have done on the revised 04.5 350Z suspension. A 350Z owner is lending me his springs next week so I'll be able to confirm or deny that rumor as well, in addition to looking at the spring rates I'll also be looking at the free length of the rear springs.

The rear spring rate increse means that the 05 coupe sport suspension has 24% stiffer rear springs and moves that much roll stiffness to the rear. What we don't know is how Nissan may have tuned the sway bar stiffness.

This rear spring rate increase means any aftermarket spring install will actually be lowering this rear rate increase, especially if someone tries to install Tein G35 S-techs or H-techs, which use woefully weak rear spirngs on the regular G35 suspensions.

As a example here's what I mean on the regular suspension with the G35 Tein's

Tein H-tech G35 coupe & sedan(fronts are progressive, rears are linear)
Spring rate in lbs 324/260
Percentage stiffer and softer then oem springs F+ 5% R-22%
Transfers +27% roll stiffness to front

Tein S-tech G35 coupe & sedan (fronts are progressive, rears are linear)
Spring rates in lbs 358/274
Percentage stiffer and softer then oem springs F+14% R-18%
Transfers +32% roll stiffness to front

Now if used on a 2005 G35 coupe with the sport suspension
Tein H-tech for G35 coupe
F+5 R-39%
Transfers +44% roll stiffness to the front

Tein S-tech for G coupe
F+14% R-36%
Transfers 50% roll stiffness to the front.

While a much better choice, 350Z H-tech's will still alter the front to rear balance for coupes with the 2005 sport suspension

Tein H-tech for 350Z when used on a 2005 coupe with sport suspension
F+14% R -12%
Transfers 26% roll stiffness to front

RSR* down spring for 350z when used on a 2005 coupe with sport suspension
F+10% R-2%
Transfers +12% roll stiffness to front
*Drops the coupe at least 1.2" staying within oem alignment specs is very doubtfull without aftermarket correction

Their is another solution. And I don't mean to over complicate things by bringing this up. And this depends on if you want to copy Nissan's tuning choice with this rear increase. In the end I don't think many here are prepaired to do what it takes to make it happen. I bring this up as opposed to going down the coilover route because most coilovers are NOT setup to allow you to alter the spring rates and make a balance change, Tein Flex is a exception as that system does allow you to alter rates + or - 112lbs at either end of the car. Now, you'd have be willing to try something new and be willing to do some custom work in needed, like possibly altering the rear spring seat thickness or maybe just adding in a spacer above them. I would change the shocks too, IMO. While Tokico's are a choice, Koni's rebound only adjustment system actually comes into play here.

Eibach makes a stand alone linear spring product that happen's to be the same diameter as our rear springs, 5" outside diameter. It is sold in different length's and in different spring rates.

Front Tein 350Z H-techs 358lbs in rate .8" drop
Rear Eibach ESS springs 475lbs in rate
F+14% R+11%

Here's what I mean about rear drop height using the Eibach ESS rear springs.
The oem rear sport spring has a free length of 12 3/8". The Eibach ESS springs are sold in 11" or 13" free length. On the surface, swapping out a 12 3/8" tall spring for a 11" tall spring would net a instant 1 3/8" drop, but remember you increased your rear spring rate by 50lbs, this will lesson that rear drop amount. Let's say you get a 1 1/8" rear drop, remember it might not be that amount. You'll have a .8/1.1" drop. If you slip a 3/8" thick spacer above the rear upper spring seat's, you drop will go to .8/.7".